Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto Pistol for Bears

Default Auto Pistol for Bears

Hey All. I am looking for an auto pistol for bear hunting. Mainly blackies with the occasional interior grizz. I have used 44s and 480s in the past but after recent arm surgery I can not stand the recoil of the wheel guns. One or two shots is fine (actual hunt conditions) but practice is unbearable. I am looking for a pistol, possibly 1911 configuration that has the right ballistics to do the job. Its main purpose is for hunting bears. Any thoughts?

i've used my 10mm in a 1911 and loved it, but the 45 winchester, 460 rowland, and 475 linebaugh are other popular auto rounds. and of course the 50 AE.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

460 Rowland seems to be getting some good press. I bought the conversion a year ago and have only shot about 50 cartridges through it and am very happy. I haven'y used it for any hunting yet. Hope to. akraven

Syracuse, New York, Wasilla, Alaska, United States

Default I use a .50 GI

Check them out they're made by guncrafter industries. They're not cheap though but I like the 300 grain solid at just under 1000 fps without much kick. I use it as a "sleep well in griz camp gun" as well. Jesse

Wounded Knee,

I use a 45 Long Colt, and after some experiments I found that a light load, 225 grain 900 fps remington, that shoots so close to my heavy rounds corbon, jacketed soft point 300 grain 1350 fps I can practice with little recoil, and when I am out where I need to big stuff I know that I can hit what I want and I am not going to be too concerned about recoil at that time.

If you still want an auto loader corbon has many high speed, high energy rounds. My 45 long colt I can load hotter than any 44 mag if I want to. A solid semi-wadcutter bullet and heavy bulletwith the widest front profile is the best bear round in my humble opinion.

Note not all 45 long colts will handle a round of this size, speed, and pressure they are made for certain guns.

Default Maybe

Colt made the 10mm in the Delta Elite a few years back, it was a Stainless pistol on the 1911 frame. Glock still makes a 10mm if you like the plastic guns. Several years back AMT built a line of heavy caliber auto on the 1911 style in stainless, They were in 30 carbine, 10mm mag.,45 auto mag. Desert Eagle built a line of large autos, they had theirs in 357 mag,41 mag.,44 mag., and 50AE. Wildey built several hand cannons the most popular was the 476 wildey. As for the newer additions to the line up I haven't a clue; They come out with another caliber every day it seems. Good luck in your hunt for a sidearm.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

I have used the Desert eagle in 41 Magnum on Moose. If it wasn't a gas operated handgun it would be a very good choice with heavy for caliber cast bullets.

and 475 linebaugh

Who is chambering the 475 Linebaugh in a semi-auto pistol?

Default 45 grizzly

check this one out; I seen a video where a guy dropped a 10 footer in it's tracks charging him with one shot:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAR_Grizzly_Win_Mag

i think the 475 line is a conversion kit
    maybe i've confused that with the 460 r. ...not sure now.
    Master guide 212

do the interns get glochs?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Glock still makes a 10mm if you like the plastic guns.
    I had the glock in 10mm but did not shoot any bears with it although it was my fishing gun. 1 advantage to this pistol I think is the 15 round capacity. I used corbon 230's I beleive.

You guys crack me up. When I said I prefer to hunt with a 270 I get hammered for carrying such an inadequate gun. A 270 against a bear? no way....says you.

Hmmmm.
    10mm makes about 700 ft pounds of punch.
    41...1000#
    44mag....1200#
    454 Casull.....1900#
    500mag.....2600#

Just to keep it in perspective, a 270 Win? About 2800#. How can a 270 be considered anemic by anyone who'd consider carrying a 10mm for bears?

Fascinating.

Smile Lar Grizzly in 45 Win Mag

I carry a 45 win mag, it shoots really well and not a ton of recoil either. I load and carry 300 grn hard ball lead ammo when I'm hunting and can shoot 45 acp with a conersion kit in the off season to practice with. I can carry 7 rounds in the mag and 1 in the chamber, plus an extra mag with 7. It's just a 1911 on steriods. Down side is they don't make them anymore, and they aren't giving them away if you find one for sale somewhere. I know I wouldn't trade mine for anything.. except maybe a Lar Grizzly in .50 ae. Just my 2 cents here.. Steve

ironic huh Pid....lol i think we are talking about bear protection here and not for the purpose of hunting them....if he was asking about hunting them i'm sure you'd see some different answers but protection on a river is different, it comes to handling, number of shots, ease to carry, punch is really down there on the list for me...which is why i carry a 10mm..althought i have killed grizz with it.
    Master guide 212

Caliber discussions on this website make me dizzy! I like big pistols and small rifles. Little hooks and light lines. And twins!

Thumbs up Glock 20

I often carry a Glock 20 in 10mm with 200 XTP while bear baiting/w bow!
    Alaska

AMT Automag in 30 carbine.... Hooah!

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    ironic huh Pid....lol i think we are talking about bear protection here and not for the purpose of hunting them....if he was asking about hunting them i'm sure you'd see some different answers ....
    Uh...the original post stated "I am looking for an auto pistol for bear hunting.", although I'm guessing they are looking for a SEMI-auto pistol.

Lots of good, big boomer's already mentioned.

Default bear hunting....

375JDJ man your spot on, my bad. i guess i had the ol' thread going in my head that we've gone over so many times. i stand corrected....
    Master guide 212

Default combat handguns

I think most combat handguns will do for protection with deep penetrating ammo.

It aint huntin', it's rapid fire last ditch effort to disrupt the central nervous system.

I think the desert eagles are good hunters but not defenders.

I can not clear a malfunction one handed with one of these or rack a fresh round in the chamber one handed from a closed slide.

I think an H&K or Beretta or Sig, Colt etc is a better choice since these are easily operated one handed.(I can rack a round in the chamber from a closed slide by hooking the rear sight on my belt and forcing the gun downward)

If you get wounded this is important.

jedi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast