Thread: Kenai Ice Fishers

Default Kenai Ice Fishers

Anybody been out to Spirit (Elephant) Lake yet? I would like to take a group of Outdoor Ed kids there next week but my 4-WD is giving troubles on my pickemup so the road needs to be good. Have to get out a permission letter by tomorrow. Let me know if you have intel, and thanks.

I haven't been out on the ice yet this year (too much work), and I've heard nothing about Spirit. Had plans to go punch my first hole last weekend, but you saw what the weather did to us. So I plan on hitting the ice when I get back in from work for the Chirstmas break. Though I'll probably hit Sport, Island, and Stormy lakes on my first outtings. Spirit has always been a bit out of the way for access. I've got a serious itch to get up to Stormy and slaughter some pike though.

Do you have any recent info on general ice thicknesses and if any damage was done by our torrential Seattle-like rainfall last weekend?

Another one I'm curious about is a test run at Arc Lake to see how things are going now that they've been stocking for 3 years since they did the pike kill-it-all procedure. Might be some catchable sized silvers in there by now.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    I haven't been out on the ice yet this year (too much work), and I've heard nothing about Spirit. Had plans to go punch my first hole last weekend, but you saw what the weather did to us. So I plan on hitting the ice when I get back in from work for the Chirstmas break. Though I'll probably hit Sport, Island, and Stormy lakes on my first outtings. Spirit has always been a bit out of the way for access. I've got a serious itch to get up to Stormy and slaughter some pike though.

Do you have any recent info on general ice thicknesses and if any damage was done by our torrential Seattle-like rainfall last weekend?

Another one I'm curious about is a test run at Arc Lake to see how things are going now that they've been stocking for 3 years since they did the pike kill-it-all procedure. Might be some catchable sized silvers in there by now.
    I thought about ARC, since it isn't far from the school. I've heard there are grayling in there now as well.

I met up with a friend at the store the other day who told me that he had been out on Petersen in a vehicle. He said there was about 9" of ice, but that was before the rain. Still, we have had a good freeze since then, so it should be OK. I think I may just try Petersen on Saturday.

Pike in Stormy... very elusive!

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I thought about ARC, since it isn't far from the school. I've heard there are grayling in there now as well.
    They just dumped the first load of grayling about 15 months ago, so I wouldn't count on much size yet.

Pike in Stormy... very elusive!
    Which makes it all the more reason to go! I like a challenge. One can only sit for so long on a stocked lake looking down into a hole watching countless stocked salmon swarming around your gear. My one big ice goal this winter is a monster pike out of stormy lake. It's going to be like Grumpy Old Men and "Catfish Hunter".
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!