Thread: Opinions on horsepower for my boat.

Default Opinions on horsepower for my boat.

Hello

I have a quick question, attached is a pic of my boat, she is a 18 foot Valco. Its a pretty light boat, not much too her, I still need to add a floor but its going to be a simple marine plywood typ floor, most likely even go with 1/2" with a bunch of stud spacers.

Anyway, I'm in the market/hunt for a used jet motor. My plan is still to go with newer, but not a 2011 or 12. They are out of my price range. Looking at a 4 or 2 stroke depending on what I can find.

Question is horsepower, tag on transom is 70 hp, for what its worth, so at the pump a 60 or 80 with the 90 or 115. Guy I got the boat from was running a 135 2 stroke johnson.

So my question is 90 or 115 or ? on the boat? My plans for the boat would be fishing rivers in the valley, and down the road running rivers up north for moose.

Thoughts? Also, if anyone has a line on a motor or something they would like to sell I'd be interested. There is not a lot out there for sale right now.

IMG_0480.jpg

I know several people who have almost the same boat and the 115 HP Suzuki jet seems to work great. Hope this helps.

Suzukis DF140 is actually lighter than their 115, and about the same as Yamahas 115 more power is always better, especially with jet outbaords, I am sure the 140 would be plenty. But if shopping used any of those would do the job. I think you would be disappointed in a 4S 90 horse if you ever loaded it heavy.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Thanks for the input, checked out the specs on the suzukis. Nice looking motors. I have been doing a lot of thinking on the 90's. Which is the point of my question. Right now the used 90 four stroke is in the budget but was thinking I might be a bit under powered. I'll keep my eyes out for something in the 115-140. Even a two stroke. All really just spitballing though. No motors out there to buy right now, at least where I'm looking. Anyone have any leads I'd appreciate it