Thread: Canoes lashed together

Default Canoes lashed together

Has anyone tried lashing two canoes together with long poles for hauling freight? Plywood can be used on top of the poles. I seem to remember this idea used on big rivers like the Yukon by Natives for years.

I tried it once on the Snake in ID and it makes for a stable platform. More than 2 canoes can be used, and a mast can be added for a sail.

Did it years back to haul freight.....works best with a tad of toe-in vs toe-out.

Used to be a common way to come down a lake that has large whitecaps and looks iffy in a single canoe, lash two togeather with poles and stablity was amazing compared to one hull. Probably a forgotten thing in this day and age..............

Check this thread for pict.s and discussion ...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...noe-Catamarans

I've tried something similar with 2 canoes, made a plywood platform for bow fishing from. It was extremely stable and worked very well as long as the waves were nothing too crazy. I had 6 people on the craft with some minimal camping gear for overnight. Be careful if the wind/water is too rough though, got swamped in 3 foot waves and just barely made it to the break wall to sink. Canoes do not have bilge pumps.