Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone had arctic char luck on beer can or sand?

Default Anyone had arctic char luck on beer can or sand?

Hey all new to ice fishing and haven't had much luck on beer can other than some Black fish and was wondering how others have been doing

Quote Originally Posted by bow92 View Post
    Hey all new to ice fishing and haven't had much luck on beer can other than some Black fish and was wondering how others have been doing
    Think shallow, like less then 5ft of water.

Fish On!

http://www.trophy-clips.com/view_vid...e=&category=mr
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Nice fish what time of day do you usually fish and you for jigs or bait

Great fish, ours were not as big but landed 7 bows, 1 Char and 3 burbot. Does any one know if fish and game stocked Burbot? The last 2 trips we have caught several in the 8-10" range. First time I have caught any and they are a cool looking fish.....

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Fergy View Post
    Great fish, ours were not as big but landed 7 bows, 1 Char and 3 burbot. Does any one know if fish and game stocked Burbot? The last 2 trips we have caught several in the 8-10" range. First time I have caught any and they are a cool looking fish.....

Are you sure those burbot aren't actually blackfish?

They're blackfish
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Nice fish what time of day do you usually fish and you for jigs or bait
    Jigs have been working far better than bait thats for sure.

Blackfish, really? How can you be certain. I mean they look like a cod, swim like a cod, and taste like a cod, so I'd surmise -They are a cod. Burbot are cod so must be the Blackfish. Freshwater Blackcod right?

Takin this up w/ the F & G for some recalssification, then gonna get my comm.fish permit, start marketing and make a ton of coin.
    SOOO much money I can stock pike in every pond, lake and stream from here to Tikchik.

Thanks for the shallow tip bigcox worked great

Quote Originally Posted by lineburns View Post
    Blackfish, really? How can you be certain. I mean they look like a cod, swim like a cod, and taste like a cod, so I'd surmise -They are a cod. Burbot are cod so must be the Blackfish. Freshwater Blackcod right?

Takin this up w/ the F & G for some recalssification, then gonna get my comm.fish permit, start marketing and make a ton of coin.
    SOOO much money I can stock pike in every pond, lake and stream from here to Tikchik.
    You sound like a teacher or something. Itchin to go ice fishing. What are you doing this evening?

Had never heard of the black fish till now. Googled and yes they are blackfish. Thanks

Thanks for the shallow tip bigcox worked great
    Right On! Adds a little excitement when you can see the fishing coming too!

Fish On!

Quote Originally Posted by lineburns View Post

Lineburns, let me educate an educator. The first tell tale sign that they are NOT blackfish is the absence of the chin barbel. Most fish in the Gadidae (cod) family have a chin barbel. Burbot have two dorsal fins, while blackfish only have one. A blackfish's lower jaw is longer than the upper jaw, while a burbot's lower and upper are the same length. On a burbot, the pelvic fins are under and in front of the pectoral fin, while the blackfish's pelvic fins are near the anal vent. Burbot have a very long anal fin, while blackfish have a much shorter anal fin

.imagesCAD88VX2.jpgimagesCASE339U.jpg

Default Black Fish..LMAO!

I went to Beer Can tues @ first light until 3pm. I caught a nice 5lb char and 15 decent rainbows. The bite didnt come on for a few hours, in fact I was about to move and was looking into another hole in the ice when I saw a real nice fish heading my way, so I jumped back to my spot and adction picked up. I couldnt post pic on here since I dont have photobucket but some day I'll get time to play w/ that more. I was the only person on the lake except one guy testing his fish finder and the local newspaper photographer. He actually put my mug on the front page today. The F&G has put some nice char in there this year but this was the first time I've caught any. I was using bright orange and pink colors. I like it since its so close to town and not too many folks on it during the week.

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Lineburns, let me educate an educator. The first tell tale sign that they are NOT blackfish is the absence of the chin barbel. Most fish in the Gadidae (cod) family have a chin barbel. Burbot have two dorsal fins, while blackfish only have one. A blackfish's lower jaw is longer than the upper jaw, while a burbot's lower and upper are the same length. On a burbot, the pelvic fins are under and in front of the pectoral fin, while the blackfish's pelvic fins are near the anal vent. Burbot have a very long anal fin, while blackfish have a much shorter anal fin

.imagesCAD88VX2.jpgimagesCASE339U.jpg
    Splitting hairs, I guess that is what you F&G guys do. Can't argue against the taxonomic. Regardless...
    you could not argue against a deep fried, bacon wrapped blackfish on a stick being delicious.
    I'm heading to the patent office right now.... Gonna be RRRRIIICCCCCCHHH!!!!
    Thanks for the info

Was out on sand in one of my few super secret spots yesterday and today. Yesterday fished for about 2 hours and landed 10-15 fish, kept one nice 3-4 lb char and released many char 8-14 inches, rainbows up to 7-14 inches, and even one graying. Today I managed about 25 fish released, mostly rainbows up to 14 inches with a few dollies of the same size mixed in, saw one char swoop my bait that was bigger than my previous days bigun but I set the hook too early and he took off.

What depth do you usually fish sand lake at

I had been fishing in 3-4 feet of water until recently, could not for the life of me find good action in shallow water now. Don't be afraid to try fishing 15-20 feet deep to get into the bigger char.

Thanks for the tip I'll keep that in mind

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast