Thread: What about birch lake?

Default What about birch lake?

I'm new to ice fishing the interior and I've read a lot of posts about quartz and Harding but nothing about birch lake. Is it worth a stop or just should I push on to quartz?

From all I've gathered and experienced thus far, Birch has the numbers while Quartz has the size. IMO, Birch has a higher fish density. I've gotten numerous rainbow, char and grayling at Birch up to 14" but nothing bigger. I'm sure they're in there, though. If size matters, go to Quartz.

I hit Quartz last week while the roads were clear and noticed there were no fishermen/shelters on Birch that I could see, but found several parties on Quartz. By contrast, when I headed to Quartz a couple days ago on slick, icy roads, I saw several parties on Birch and only a couple on Quartz. Appeared that weather was the determining factor of the day!

Thanks for the info.

Fished Birch on 12/26. I rented one of the state fishing huts. We had good firewood and were very comfortable. Fishing is very slow, we caught 2 char (12-14") and one king salmon (12").

Quote Originally Posted by AFangler View Post
    Fished Birch on 12/26. I rented one of the state fishing huts. We had good firewood and were very comfortable. Fishing is very slow, we caught 2 char (12-14") and one king salmon (12").
    You caught a king in Birch Lake?

Quote Originally Posted by FishAddictAK View Post
    You caught a king in Birch Lake?
    Thanks for the report AF. Kings are/were stocked in Birch..

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ail&LakeID=471

Wow, I had no idea they were in there! Thanks for the info.