Thread: Robbed on the line..

Default Robbed on the line..

Well i went out today to check my first ever line (5 snares) to see if i had anything. Well i checked the first 3 and "as expected" i had absolutely nothing. This is my first time ever trying to trap, so my anticipation is high but my expectations aren't. I found a moose that was dead last weekend and had been dead for at-least a week or so and set 2 snares around it. Well as i approached it i saw my first snare was still there sitting pretty but i couldn't see the other one at all. As i inspected the area i could see where someone had walked down to exactly where i had set the snare and the tree i had attached it to was broken at the point where i had attached it. There was a nice mowed down area where i had somehitng, but with all the moose hair and lack of snow i couldn't tell what i had. So success on my first ever check for someone else... Kinda has to piss you off when you are so excited just to see that kind of evidence left behind.... Maybe next time i guess.

David

Maybe you had their dog.

Always a possibility.. I would like to think not, but it's definately a chance..

These type of reports, are kind of hard to relate too, if I have zero idea what part of the planet it happen. I'll guess your in Sibera or in the Brooks Range. Sorry for your loss.

A domestic dog is used to being on a leash or chain. They rarely fight a snare. Don't mow down the area. Only wild animals do that.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Supporting Member

Please report the theft to the F&W enforcement troopers (nearest post to wherever you live). They may not be able to catch the individual this time, but it establishes a problem area and documents an area where theft is occurring. If the problem continues, they will do what they can to catch the culprit(s), despite being spread pretty thinly over a large patrol area.

Was the cable cut or frayed? I suspect you had something and it broke your snare if the cable is frayed. The other tracks maybe were just someone looking at the catch circle. You said your other snare was still there, so why didn't they take that one too if they were going to steal your catch. On the other hand if its a clean cut on the snare then thats pretty obvious.

I just reread your post and wanted some clarification. Was the cable cut or was the tree completely broken where you had the snare anchored? How big was the tree? Was the tree alive or dead? How high did you anchor? Your anchor tree might not have been strong enough.

I don't see a person breaking a tree to remove a snare however on my fox that I posted up on here about if you look at the picture the fox broke a small dead black spruce that was probably an 1.5 inches in diameter that was between the anchor tree and the snare. Just a thought.

Alright everyone...Sorry i was vague in the first post, i was typing angry. I had the snare acnhored on a live willow that was about the size of a thumb n a half around. I used #9 wire to attach the swivel to the tree and there was nothing left of the snare. It wasn't a big tree by any means but it was anchored low enough to keep it from having too much play. It could have been a dog getting into, although i couldn't see any indication of that being the case. I'm new to this so there is a definate chance it could've broke the tree/bush whatever, and maybe i'm too green to be able to tell... I just couldn't explain the boot prints any otherway. Maybe i'm way off base?? I dunno.... and AGL im from anchorage if that matters in any way?

Quote Originally Posted by MDwhatleys View Post
    .... and AGL im from anchorage if that matters in any way?
    Something happening near by is of more interest to me than the same thing happening in Fort Yukon, or Idaho.

Unless you have enormous thumbs, or an area with an amazing amount of entanglement, you should be anchoring off to something much more solid than a "thumb and a half". Use another snare as an extension if you have to to reach a good solid anchor.

Sounds as though your new to this game of snaring and trapping. Have you purchased the ATA trapping manual or even the wolf manual? They are both great, and even the things in the wolf manual you can relate to snaring other critters.

And Lujon is the dog comment really needed here? MT is right, dogs don't mow down an area when they are in a snare, they sit down and relax if they have ever been on a leash.

I was just suggesting a possible scenario that didn't assume that there was a trap pirate running the guys line.

Always sucks losing a catch. You might want to try using a bigger tree as an anchor, I usually use at least 2 inches if they're in the area and the set allows for it. Also, make sure there is a choking pole nearby too, it's alot quicker for the animal to choke out if it wraps the snare around another pole away from the anchor set.
    Dont mind AGL4now, read his other posts around the forums and you'll understand what I mean.
    HL Mencken, defined a demagogue (American Politician) as "one who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots."

Snowman,
    I starting using two snares to connect to "much" larger trees now where needed! I don't know if that was the issue, but it won't be anymore. I checked today and "thank god for more snow" saw where a yote hit a snare, but it was froze over and im assuming thats why i didn't get him? Also a fox set off my #3 but the snow i think saved him? I was able to see exactly how, where from and the movements they made around my bait site. It was eye opening to see how cautiously they approached and surveyed the scene before moving forward!!!Also a question for you veterans...... If you speed dip snares white, can you boil them before use or will that take away the dip? Can i use them w/o boiling them again and be good? and the dip is also not a good coat at all or maybe somehow i screwed up the 2-1 ratio... I am from Arkansas originally....lol

A couple more questions.. First, once you establish a bait site, do you keep re-baiting the same site and will it continue to produce later on? Also if you have a pee post, how often do foxes travel the "route"?

Hey MD,

I never found dipping to be really necessary. The white looks cool and probably makes the more invisible during the day but I think most strikes on snares are at night. After 2 weeks of soakin in the field they tend to lose all thier scent. It was 2 weeks to the day that I got my first fox when I set out my first line.
    I also never used bait, maybe an attractor. Are you using foot holds or body grips?
    With snares you'll also have to adjust them once youve had a good snowfall. Watch the weather.
    HL Mencken, defined a demagogue (American Politician) as "one who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots."

I just dipped them to help for blending in, may have been a mistake.... i have two bait sites set up with some deer carcasses and i have a #3 right in front of the ribs, etc. Also i set 5 snares around the site on likely trails with some blocking and duck sticks to help! I am only using offset #3's and snares since i am just trying this out. I have put alot of effort into it but luck has been on there side so far!! Thanks for the response. It seems like pulling teeth sometimes to get "good" replies that are helpful..Hopefully the pee post sets will pay off if nothing else....

Quote Originally Posted by MDwhatleys View Post
    A couple more questions.. First, once you establish a bait site, do you keep re-baiting the same site and will it continue to produce later on? Also if you have a pee post, how often do foxes travel the "route"?
    I personally use the same bait site every year, and I never trap very close to the bait. I do not want the varmits to have any fear of coming to the bait. Locate your spot carefully with several potential trails coming into the bait and trap the the trails not the bait. I like to put the bait in an area with lots of brush so there are more potential places to put snares and pinch points for traps. with a good bait the fox should swing by almost daily. ~Mist~

Well i went out n found nothing on the line again today. I am definately feeling like they are getting the better of me now after a couple weeks with nothing. This weather is absolutely killing me for as far as seeing fresh sign and understanding where to set #3's and snares! Hopefully the weather will straighten out and throw me a bone soon.. Do you'll normally set your snares on well used rabbit trails n hopes of a fox etc coming down it? I just can't find enough fresh sign to go about it any other way right now!