Thread: Ruger M77 Mk 1 .338 Mag

Default Ruger M77 Mk 1 .338 Mag

I have a chance to purchase the above refernced firearm at a decent price, It is the blue verson with rifle sights and the Mauser style extractor. I was going to make it a "project gun ",blueprint the action,glassbed etc. A friend says the early Rugers had barrel problems and the newer models have fixed that. I have not fired the rifle, but am interested in the proposition. What do you think. Thanks in advance for your comments.

I would certainly give it a good cleaning and go shoot it with quality glass before I did anything to it. It may shoot very well. Be sure the guard and floorplate screws are tight first. Don't overtighten the front triggerguard screw, as it is possible to break the front ledge of the guard if you do, and replacements are expensive.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    I would certainly give it a good cleaning and go shoot it with quality glass before I did anything to it. It may shoot very well. Be sure the guard and floorplate screws are tight first. Don't overtighten the front triggerguard screw, as it is possible to break the front ledge of the guard if you do, and replacements are expensive.
    You be well advised to listen to gunbugs about the screws and cleaning. I'd also say that the recoil pads on these rifles leave a great deal to be desired, but they are easily replaced and well worth the money/effort IMO. I've always had a soft spot for the tang safety Ruger rifles, they were/are a very fine value for a hunting rifle.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I have been playing around with one in 7mm mag on my spare time. I have been interested in learning to fit stocks and bed rifles for a bit and finally decided that this one would be right for the project. The stock is a Boyd's laminate 95% complete. I am starting to think that I got the big 5% but it has been fun and so far seems to be turning out well.