Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best .22lr for the money

Default Best .22lr for the money

Well lookin to get a 22 just for plinking and some small game. I'm looking for the best bang for my buck. I've heard ruger 10/22 is the way to go? What are all your options on what I should get, lookin for semi auto also.

Thanks Dave

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by FF18 View Post
    Well lookin to get a 22 just for plinking and some small game. I'm looking for the best bang for my buck. I've heard ruger 10/22 is the way to go? What are all your options on what I should get, lookin for semi auto also.

Thanks Dave
    Ruger 10/22, nothing more need be said.

I agree with the 10/22. Good bang for the buck but I opted for the deluxe stock. It just fits better than the standard one. Besides that, the 10/22 is probably the most accessorized rifle out there in .22.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Stainless 10/22 & steel lips 35 round clips.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

The 10/22's are great reliable rifles, but IMHO they really need a trigger job and an aftermarket barrel to be at their best, and then the question is, is it the best gun for the $ when you've doubled the price? I like 10/22's, but if you're not going to upgrade the trigger and barrel, you might want to consider other options.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Sportsmans has the basic Marlins for $99 right now and they shoot just fine. I think you'd be hard pressed to find better "bang" for your buck?

10/22's are getting spendy though, I think you could find a cheaper option, look around for a stevens. they are basically a cheaper savage (I know savage owns them now, I know no history of it though) and they are fairly accurate.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I bought a Marlin semi-auto for my kids to use years ago. It was cheap and has been a good, reliable gun for them to learn on. If I was getting one for myself, I'd get a CZ.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

I've had a number of 10/22s over the years... ho-hum accuracy, bad trigger and ambivalent fit and finish- but they work and I've killed a lot of game with one.

In all honesty, if I were buying something I'd likely just opt for a Marlin or CZ bolt action.

Thanks Dave
    IMHO the best bang for your buck would be to buy a good used 22... There are several listed on Alaskaslist.com.. and I believe there is a gun show at the Menard ctr inWasilla thde 10th and 11th...

I grew up shooting the Marlin model 60. A buddy grew up with the 10/22. I've always preferred the Marlin. It just handles better to me. I've been shooting it for the past 20+ years and it's still going strong. Odds are that's what I'll buy my son in a few years.

Thanks Dave
    Welcome Dave,
    Like the others I have had several. The Ruger will likely do all you ask of it - I have a Rem 597 22lr and a 597M in 22 mag that are fun plinkers, can take small game and work well for what you pay. If you are really looking for a reliable gun the bolt actions may be best bet... If your just starten out in life I reckon one 22 will simply be the starting point for many more to come anyway!
    Good Luck
    Randy
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I also have always had Marlins. 1 model 60 and a papoose which seems to run the same basic action but with a removable barrel. They have been in the family for about 25 years and I don't recall them ever really being cleaned. They chew up all kinds of cheapo ammo and never complain. I recently replaced the papoose stock because the gorillas at the moving company busted it. I don't see a reason to change but if you want to tweak a .22 the marlin isn't for you. The 10/22 has a stupid amount of aftermarket "performance" support.

Nylon 66........ "A Nylon 66 was used by a Remington professional shooter Tom Frye to hit, in the air, 100,004 hand thrown wooden blocks (about 2" square, if I remember correctly) out of a total of 100,010 thrown. This was (and probably still is) the world record for breaking wooden blocks, and was used in Remington advertising copy to illustrate the reliability of the Nylon 66." - Taken from Chuck Hawks website (http://www.chuckhawks.com/rem_nylon_rifles.htm)

Ron

Chief AJ shot 40,060 straight w/o missing in 1987, and I believe with a 10/22.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

CZ is an very accurate rifle, but a little spendy. I've been very happy with it and wouldn't hesitate to compare its accuracy to an Anshutz without spending major $$$. Smooth actions too. If you like levers, the Henry's are really smooth and fun.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Nylon 66........ "A Nylon 66 was used by a Remington professional shooter Tom Frye to hit, in the air, 100,004 hand thrown wooden blocks (about 2" square, if I remember correctly) out of a total of 100,010 thrown. This was (and probably still is) the world record for breaking wooden blocks, and was used in Remington advertising copy to illustrate the reliability of the Nylon 66." - Taken from Chuck Hawks website (http://www.chuckhawks.com/rem_nylon_rifles.htm)

Ron
    Hey Ron, I grew up near Grand Rapids. We had a Nylon 66, although I've never run into any one since then who had even heard of one till now. I ran a lot of rounds down the barrel of that thing!!!!!!!!

I have a Nylon 66 I have shot for 40 years and it still works great and looks like new - although I prefer the numerous clips aspect of the 10-22 for plinking - I have to reload less often. We have numerous 10-22's and they are all good rifles - For "Plinking" they are tremendous right out of the box and if you want to go beyond plinking the custom parts are available from numerous sources to enhance every aspect of the rifle. Haven't shot the CZ or Marlin so I can't comment but for a reliable cheap rifle for "Plinking" I haven't felt the need to look beyond the 10-22.

I watched my father hit 3 dimes at 50 yards with open sights with his nylon 66, btw it took him 3 shots. I now have it since his passing. I have missed with my eyes, but not this rifle. Fast, light and accurate..........

I have a couple bolt action 22s which are super accurate. My grandpas old Remington model 34 made back in the mid 1930s and a cheap Chinese bolt action 22 that I got at a yard sale for $60. Both will shoot half inch groups at 50 yards from a bench.
    I bought one of my kids a Remington 597 a few years ago and it was fairly accurate and very reliable.
    One daughter has a chinese copy of a Browning B-22. That is really accurate and light.
    I have owned a couple Ruger 10-22s and they were OK but not very good in making small groups.
    I always wanted a Nylon 66 ever since I saw their first ads back in the 1960s.
    Right now I am trying top find a little Marlin Papoose take-down.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast