Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Stop...

Exclamation Please Stop...

I figured this is worth a shot. I thought about writing two weeks ago and changed my mind in hopes that the individual or individuals would stop by now.

I trap along with a new friend of mine in the Eureka/Gunsight area north of palmer. The problem I and others are having is someone in the area is shooting the animals in our traps. Mainly Lynx. I realize they are trying to do us a favor but it really comes down to lack of eduaction and trapping ethics. When an animal is trapped it can still defend itself to an extent, and by this I mean from birds. I have found a couple lynx dispatched on my line with holes the size of a baseball in them! One had an eagle on it already and I was lucky I got to the animal in time not only to save the fur but to prevent it from going anywhere since WHOEVER took it upon themselves to also take the animal out of my trap. (This has happened with other sets as well).

The problems I'm having with this are really common sence to me, but clearly not to others. This is my first year trapping and with the research and dedication I've put in I have been successfull. Under no circumstance would I get off my machine and walk down someone elses line, dispatch an animal, and take the animal out of the trap. I spend a lot of money on gas, and a lot of time busting my ass to have a trap line that is producing animals. WHOEVER this is can you please stop. Touching my traps, touching my animals, EVEN GETTING OFF YOUR MACHINE TO CHECK MY TRAPS IS UNACCEPTABLE! ( I know this because I see your boot tracks on my trail into my traps all the way to the point where you either turn around or dispatch my animal).

The troopers have been notified. We have done this NOT to get WHOEVER you are in trouble but simply to educate you. I would talk to you myself but I cant figure your schedule out. I must say..Thank You for not stealing anything so far, atleast from me. I cant say that for others in the area.

Im hoping the troopers can somehow get in contact with this individual, again just to educate them. The troopers wont contact me or a friend of mine back so I dont see this happening.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could get this under control before the situation gets out of hand? Is anyone else having the same problems I am? Lynx opened up on Nov 10th in the area..This problem started on Nov 12th with our first successfull catch.

By the way...I know WHOEVER you are drives a older 70's model red GMC truck towing a two place trailor. That you trap in the eureka area and also at Puritan creek. PLEASE STOP.

Game cam at the parking locations, will get you a face and license plate ID.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I have definetly looked into it. The plate has already been given to the troopers. WEEKS AGO. No call back...Hell not even any intrest in our problem. But they sure are interested in checking my license at my parking location!

I would also post this on trapperman.com wilderness living and trapping forum as it's mostly alaskan trappers on there. Maybe you could post a sign or signs or even set up camp and wait for them, really weird someone would do that................

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Grace View Post
    I have definetly looked into it. The plate has already been given to the troopers. WEEKS AGO. No call back...Hell not even any intrest in our problem. But they sure are interested in checking my license at my parking location!
    What with tv show filming and needing to help their buddies out on the Cantwell "subsistence" caribou hunt, I'm surprised they even took the time to check your license.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

You can get a cheap tasco game cam for 50 bucks at walmart, won't last long but will get you come pictures. a more expensive one will serve you better in the future. I have a multree (Sp?) it was 109.00 at sportsman's and it works really good.

I had the same problem when I reported 2 poachers and they just said "we can't be everywhere at once"
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Welcome to road trapping. That area has been that way for YEARS and sorry to say, won't change anytime soon. Well untill the cats crash and less people are trapping. Some of the bunny hunters have been the real problem up there for years. You will do your time there untill you get tired of it or find a new spot like we all have. Good luck in trying though...

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Welcome to road trapping. That area has been that way for YEARS and sorry to say, won't change anytime soon. Well untill the cats crash and less people are trapping. Some of the bunny hunters have been the real problem up there for years. You will do your time there untill you get tired of it or find a new spot like we all have. Good luck in trying though...
    I'm off the road. I take a machine in. It's really confusing to what they are doing and the reasons behind it. I am close to 3 miles off the highway and have made my own trails. I know the area very well as to I have ridden snowmachines out of my friends cabin for the past 15 years. I think I understand what you're getting at though.

at least your catching something for them to shoot.....
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Supporting Member

Lady Grace,
    I know it sounds pretty basic, but were it happening to me, I would at least try hanging some notes in ziploc bags at some (or all) of my sets, asking the "good samaritans" to please stop "helping" me. Notes won't scare the cats away and may even act as additional cat attractors.

maybe you got it all wrong....
    I think its a good samaritan that wants to see you suceed on your trapline. They are shooting the cats, then putting them in your traps

Lady Grace: Unfortunately Alaska is not the place it used to be. I have seen dramatic growth in just the 11 years that I have been here. I am sure that some of the old sourdoughs have seen enough to want to move farther away, as do I sometimes. It is just not the same place with the same respect for people, places and things. It is sad to say in the least.

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems. Disgusts me the lack of respect that people have these days. Good luck with your trap line and finding the culprits.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Now that is how you think outside of the box. And make people laugh.

Well maybe I'll get lucky and find them in one of my sets........instead of the cat.

Were you talking to AST or AWT? I suspect AWT might be more helpful, particularly if you can get game cam pictures them actually messing with your gear. Set one at the parking lot and one near your sets, but far enough off to be harder to find.

I put traps out there many years ago and lost a couple cats, I pulled the traps and have never set around there again, stinking thieves
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Default advertising

Quote Originally Posted by thunder chicken1 View Post
    I would also post this on trapperman.com wilderness living and trapping forum as it's mostly alaskan trappers on there. Maybe you could post a sign or signs or even set up camp and wait for them, really weird someone would do that................
    I really think you should put your original post on both the Hunting & Hiking Forums, here. Posting this on a trapping forum is just preaching to the choir - espically if the bullet being used is tearing the hide up. Get the word out to the non-trappers. The suggestion to hang a baggie with a message is also a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I really think you should put your original post on both the Hunting & Hiking Forums, here. Posting this on a trapping forum is just preaching to the choir - espically if the bullet being used is tearing the hide up. Get the word out to the non-trappers. The suggestion to hang a baggie with a message is also a good one.
    Gary, That is a good idea. I only want to educate the individual or individuals. Limon32. It was AWT, the officer said I will see lots of him and I actually have seen his truck quite a bit because I make the drive from palmer often, but he hasnt contacted me back for weeks..

Supporting Member

Lady Grace,
    Please give me a call this evening at 907-232-5531. May have an idea of who your "help" is.

LG,
    Are you sure you know who is messing with your sets? Photo proof is probably what you need to hand into the troopers. I'll be fair here though. Ive had worse happen to me. At least they aren't stealing the critters and the traps. Also, the person with the rig you described happens to be someone I know and have run 'lines up that way with. These are two tings I know. One, he has had the same thing happen to his sets up there over the past several years. And two, because of this I'm sure he wouldn't go messin' with someone else traps cuz he knows it a pain the hind end. So, unless you have photo proof in hand I do believe you have the wrong man. But again, to be fair, if you do get photo proof of him messin' with your traps I would recommend you turn it into the cops. For now, however, I believe you are chasing the wrong rabbit. I don't intend to be heartless, and no I'm not just sticking up for a buddy, but since you are complaining about people screwing with your sets on the road system, you are just preachin' to the choir. Most of us have been there at some point or another. Be careful what you say, your words are as hard to take back as the down from a goose pillow after it has been spilled into the wind.

Best of luck on the line,
    BD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast