Thread: Gunsmith Needed

Default Gunsmith Needed

I have two guns that need repairs. A Savage 308 that needs the rear scope mount fixed and drilled in the correct spot. The gun was given to me this way and how my father in law said he killed some thing with it is beyond me....

I also have an old shot gun that broke. I would like to get both fixed if possible.

Where in the Mat-Su should I take these guns.

Most any competent shop should be able to fix the savage scope mounts. Stan Jackson come to mind but his backyard shop in ANC can be a challenge to find. Wild West guns is easy to find and could almost certainly do it for you. I don't know how much Brophy is doing these days but he runs a shop out of his home up Knik river road and that is quite a drive from most anywhere.

As for the shotgun, depending on what it is it may be worth tinkering with. Forum member gunbugs was able to give me all the info I needed to get my old savage pump running on my own and it was a rewarding experience. In fact it gave me the confidence to attempt restocking and glass bedding another rifle which so far is coming along very well! Heck, I might even try my hand at checkering just to see if I can do that too.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Most any competent shop should be able to fix the savage scope mounts. Stan Jackson come to mind but his backyard shop in ANC can be a challenge to find. Wild West guns is easy to find and could almost certainly do it for you. I don't know how much Brophy is doing these days but he runs a shop out of his home up Knik river road and that is quite a drive from most anywhere.

As for the shotgun, depending on what it is it may be worth tinkering with. Forum member gunbugs was able to give me all the info I needed to get my old savage pump running on my own and it was a rewarding experience. In fact it gave me the confidence to attempt restocking and glass bedding another rifle which so far is coming along very well! Heck, I might even try my hand at checkering just to see if I can do that too.
    The shot gun is an old Sears or Monkey wards gun but I will need to check again. When you pump the handle the metal ring broke off from the bolt. I will call around. THANKS for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by FishKing View Post
    The shot gun is an old Sears or Monkey wards gun but I will need to check again. When you pump the handle the metal ring broke off from the bolt. I will call around. THANKS for the info.
    Mine was a Savage rebadged as Coast to Coast Stores model 267. Gunbugs posted me spot on info like he had the gun in front of him.

Sounds like welding jobs on both. To fix the savage rifle, the existing "bad" haoles will probably need tig welded, finished off flush with the receiver, and new holes drilled and tapped, in the right places. The shotgun sounds like the forend tube has broken off the arm. That may or may not be repairable. If the arm has actually become separated from the tube as a complete piece, then just tigging it back in place will take care of it. If the arm is broken then a replacement forend would be better, as the arm undergoes a lot of stress during operation, and welding the two pieces back together may not last.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."