Thread: ESPAR Air D4 troubleshooting

Default ESPAR Air D4 troubleshooting

My D4 has been working great lately until about an hour out of Whittier Monday. It shut off and wouldn't kick back on. It did attempt to start up once, but nothing after that. Anyone have any ideas where to start checking? I already checked the fuse and it's good. I didn't install it, so not too familiar with the wiring of it yet. I have a feeling I'm about to get real personal with that thing today. Could it be the glow plug? Fuel pump? Ideas?

Rob
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

You could check the glow pin for carbon build up and the pin screen as well. How are your batteries? Are you running diesel or kerosene?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

My batteries are great I think. I'm going to put the charger on them for a while then try it again to rule out low voltage. I'm running diesel and it's not gelled at all. I'll check the glow pin and screen this morning. Thanks for that idea.
    MMSI# 338232859

If you go through all the checks and still have problems, Call Advance Diesel Service (Anchorage) 907 278-1999. It looks like they are a local ESPAR dealer carrying parts and can also scan the unit to see why it is not working. Mine quit working a few years back while hunting PWS in Dec, really bummed me out to not have heat with icing conditions. Had to send it back to SEA for repair since there wasn't anyone in ANC to troubleshoot or repair. They had to replace the brain and also told me it had shut down due to low voltage one time (not while we were out). Hope you find it is something simple and easy to fix.

Not sure about your model, but see if you can find a photocell flame sensor in the schematics of the manual. They have a tendancy to soot over time (especially if you run #2 diesel) and will not pass fuel thinking the igniter did not start a flame. It is usually simple to clean the photo cell off with alcohol.

Got it fixed. Called Advanced Diesel and got the scoop on how that thing works then started tracing wires and checking voltage. Everything was great until I got to a wire bundle under the dash that had a broken wire connector. Replaced the connector and it started right up. Wish I could have found that the other day on the water. Would have made that trip much warmer. Thanks for the info guys. I've learned a lot about this heater now. So, what kind of fuel is normally ran in this heater? Kerosene or Diesel?
    MMSI# 338232859

Glad to hear you got it fixed. I run kerosene. It runs cleaner than diesel, but you lose a few BTUs. My Wallas oven and stove top drink from the same tank and they prefer kerosene. I run sea foam through once or twice a season as well.

Glad you were able to find/fix the problem and find out there is a good local ESPAR dealer. Ditto what Spoiled One does. Never have had fuel/soot problem. Kerosene & Sea Foam may be more $ but is worth it in the long run.

Kerosine or #1 diesel will run much better over time. #2 is too dirty.

OK. I should have asked before, but to switch over to Kerosene, should I empty the diesel out first? Or could I blend it in slowly? I can see running Kerosene in the winter anyway, no risk of it gelling. Yeah Travis at Advanced Diesel was really nice on the phone. Lots of good info...
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by rhorn View Post
    Glad you were able to find/fix the problem and find out there is a good local ESPAR dealer. Ditto what Spoiled One does. Never have had fuel/soot problem. Kerosene & Sea Foam may be more $ but is worth it in the long run.
    Some old salty, scotch drinker told me about the sea foam.

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    OK. I should have asked before, but to switch over to Kerosene, should I empty the diesel out first? Or could I blend it in slowly? I can see running Kerosene in the winter anyway, no risk of it gelling. Yeah Travis at Advanced Diesel was really nice on the phone. Lots of good info...
    How big is your tank? Do you have a charging system? I would be tempted to run the heater and burn through most of the diesel topped off with sea foam, then start using kerosene. If you look at the exhaust vents of the guys running diesel and compare them to one that has only run kerosene, you won't run diesel again.

HA HA Yeah, Sea Foam is some great stuff. I used it in my last boat when I was having some fuel/plug issues and it cleared it right up.
    MMSI# 338232859

For you guys that add sea foam to your heater fuel, do you add the same mix ratio suggested for motor fuel or do you use a more lean ratio? I seem to recall reading some manufacturer's cautions against putting additives in heater fuel systems, but I'd like to run a cleaner through my Wallas heater. At the same time, I obviously don't want to screw it up if the additive will confuse the sensors.

My tank is about 2 1/2 gallons I'll try to take a picture of it tomorrow. Really nice tank. I'm not sure what you mean by a charged tank.
    MMSI# 338232859

I use the same mix ratio they call for motor fuel. Never did look to see if ESPAR didn't recomend additives. After I saw a heater come back from SEA after repair/cleaning they sent it with a sandwich ziploc full of carbon cleaned out of the combustion chamber I stopped using diesel and switched to kerosene. My tank is 11 gallons so I add the seafoam when I fill it.

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    My tank is about 2 1/2 gallons I'll try to take a picture of it tomorrow. Really nice tank. I'm not sure what you mean by a charged tank.
    I meant do you have an onboard charging system or shore power for your house bank?

OH. LOL. I'm new to these big boat accessories. Yes, I do have an onboard charging system. Love it too. Do most people leave the batteries in during the winter and trickle charge or still remove them? It's been nice having it plugged in and be able to tinker around inside the cabin without freezing my tail off.
    MMSI# 338232859

I leave my batteries in. She is plugged into shore power all the time.

Here is a picture of my tank. Not sure what it used to be or if it's meant to be used for this purpose, but it works great and holds about 2 1/2 gallons of fuel.

MMSI# 338232859