Thread: seward military resort

Default seward military resort

Has anyone been out fishing with the military resort in seward? Thanks

Default Yes

It's and excellent place to stay if you have access (active duty/retired etc, but make reservations early. Very clean rooms and such. Yerts to rent, campsites, showers, two huge indoor fishcleaning buildings with vacuum packaging machines, (bring your own materiel or buy it there), restaurant, Halibut/rockfish charters--they bus you back and forth to the docks and transport your fish back to the fish-cleaning area at the resort, sight-seeing tours, motor home and boat parking. It's a great place and I recommend it. Prices are based on rank--the more you make the more you pay, but prices are still v. good. I recommend it, especially the charters. They take you out for 10 hours. Most charters when you limit out that's it, you are back to the docks. These guys are contracted for 10 hours so if you catch your halibut, they will take you rockfishing, looking at sealions and stuff.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Yes they are good guides. I would go out with them in a heart beat.
    I wish the resort would bring back the raffle at night for free apots on the boat. There boats run all the way out to montegue.. Last year I watched them at the dock bring in some huge halibut and giant lings.

Got to make reservations early they tend to fill up quick. Also the camp ground to. They have the best fish cleaning house that I have ever seen.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thumbs up

Both posts are right on the button. Great place and I'll be there from Aug 11th to Aug 25th this year. Boat usually takes out fourteen people. Smart ones try to be first to hit down below to sleep for the two hour run before fishing. Same holds for the return.

The last time I stayed there it was fun, but that was in the late 60's. There was a similar rec camp in Valdz back then, too. Both had really good chocolate milk. Funny what you remember.

I went out last year with them. Its awesome. I liked it so much i got a deck hand job working there this summer.

Thumbs up

I haven't been out on a resort-sponsored charter boat trip yet. However, I've heard a lot of positive reports and look forward to experiencing it for myself this summer.

A couple of issues raised by some folks is that it takes a long time to reach the fishing area and the resort boats tend to target spots holding mostly "chickens" rather than the larger halibut.

Something to consider when planning a halibut trip in Alaska is that you will travel a good distance no matter where you venture out from. You can either make the short drive to Seward and take a long boat ride to the fishing grounds, or you can make a long drive to Homer and take a short boat ride to the fishing grounds. From what I gather, the vast majority of big halibut are caught in Kachemak Bay.

Regardless, I've stayed at the resort's RV camp several times and been really impressed with the facilities.

The fish cleaning house is top notch. It's even equipped with industrial vacuum sealers. Plus, there's a giant freezer available to store the catch.

Kudos to the Army for establishing such a fine resort to accommodate America's service members, civilians, retirees, veterans and their families.

In my experience, it's one of the few instances where the Army actually outshines the Air Force on morale, welfare and recreation (MWR) / quality-of-life services. I highly recommend the place.

Looking forward to taking a boat ride with these guys sometime this summer and dunking a hook for halibut.

I stayed there back in the early 80's and had a great time, I will be visiting next month to see the place again.

You should have a fantastic stay

Doug

My family has used the military charters twice in the last two years....2005 & 2006. As a few guys have already stated the lodging is GREAT and can't beat the price and how nice the the rooms, duplexes or even the cabins are set up. However, it was previously mentioned about where the charter takes you to the "chickens" (small halibut) opposed to the larger ones and, well, reckon that depends on their agenda. The last trip my wife and I went on August 2006 we ended up goin' east instead of the normal west because of the currents. Don't ask me why cuz I don't have a solid clue other than maybe it would have been a bit rough. We landed chickens for the most part but we brought in several rock fish and had a good time overall.

The kicker of it was I talked with a couple of the Army volunteers and apparently 2006 was the last year the troops were being augmented out to assist the charters. It all boils down to the deployments taking place in support of Operations Enduring & Iraqi Freedom. I don't have any idea as to how they are gonna get the help this year but that is what I was told. Overall the trips were great, service was more than just acceptable, and the stay at the resort (third time around) was very comfortable. Just give it a shot and see what happens...that's pretty much how fishin' goes in the first place. You may not land a 150 pound halibut but will enjoy the experience!

Default long haul

I've had the pleasure of using the facilities at Seward Resort many times, and agree with all that it's a wonderful place to stay with top notch fish cleaning and freezing facilities. Went on a total of 5 charters out of there in the last 4 years, and limited out each time. Also had a chance to catch some nice lings and rockfish which was a real bonus. The mates are all military guys but the Captains are all hired locals that know what they're doing. The only major drawback is the long haul out and back-over three hours each way. It can be a challenge especially if it's rough, and it does get rough. They cancel quite often, especially towards the end of the season when the winds pick up. Wouldn't recommend it for anyone prone to seasickness. It could be the longest day of their life!-ha I much prefer the short haul out of Homer or Anchor Point, along with all the quality river fishing available there. I went out twice out of here ( Anchor Point) last year and we were back at the lodge with our limits of halibut and salmon before 9:00 AM. Love it so much that last year made the decision to move there. Have a great trip and enjoy !!
    Brian
    Anchor River Lodge

All the posters are right on the facilities - the best in the state easily. The charters are no different than any other party boat (meaning a boat with more than 6 fisherpeople) - from the perspective that they want to put their clients into fish. People remember catching fish - even if they're chickens. But they NEVER forget getting skunked, and no charter boat skipper wants that to happen - it means they lose their repeat clients.

I would surmise that the Rec Camp skippers aren't quite as concerned about repeat customers, as I would guess the majority of their business are one timers - at most two or three times. When I fished with charters (company fishing - taking clients out), I used the same charters year after year based no how they treated me and my clients. I remember the years when we hauled in lots of big fish - but I'll never forget the one year we chartered out of Whitter and a party boat with 16 fisherpeople caught only two fish - TOTAL.

If I didn't have a boat I'd fish with the charters at the camp - they're no better or worse than anyone else, and the price is better. (Although the commercial charters do clean your fish for you . . . .)

Cheers,

SH

Didn't realize that the resort's clients were expected to clean their own catch.

Hopefully, the crew offers some pointers because those halibut look a bit tricky.

Sometimes you can pay the deckhand to clean your fish - but for the most parts it's DIY. The great part of the fish house (and both of them are truly "State of the Art" - nothing else I've seen comes close) is all of the "old salts" who don't have any problem lending a hand if you ask - they're always proud to show off their expertise and help someone who needs it.

Cheers,

SH

They have people that will clean for a fee. I like they have a freezer to store your catch
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Seward Rec Camp

Great place, they normally get smaller Halibut that many of the other charters in town but they will always target other species (rock bass, salmon, ling, etc...). Their charters are all combos, as soldiers do not perform the functions there they once did, I doubt you will see the lottery boat come back, as things cost to much. Use to use their Yurts allot before I purchased a trailer, great place, set up, price and fish house. Even a fun place to get away in the winter for the polar bear jump or Easter weekend.