Thread: Using a 338 Federal on Big Game?

Default Using a 338 Federal on Big Game?

Can anyone shed some light and facts on how they like the 338 Federal on game larger than 400lbs??? I cant find a thing on the internet except some gun writers shooting deer or pigs when the cartridge first came out and figured the boys up North would have tested the caliber out by now with some actual comparisions ???? Any info would be appreaciated as I would put 200% more stock in some actual kills by an Alaskan than a hundred stories from a gun writer that got a new rifle for braggin it up!

Not an Alaskan, but shot a moose in the Yukon with the 338 Federal 210gr Nosler Partition. One shot at 100 yds. and down he went!

generally speaking, I'll have to agree with you on "gunwriters" BUT often "new" guns or cartridges are introduced at times of the year when larger game seasons aren't a timing option - "any" game tests are better than no game tests IMO - haven't had any experience with the 338 Federal but lots and lots with 338 win mag and 338/06 and the 200 class bullet is where you want to be (again IMO) the Nosler ETip 200 just might have been made for the 338 Federal - I do have a Kimber Montana 308 and it sure is a sweet rifle to carry in the field (shoots great too !) I have always liked a 338 sized hole though .....

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticRams View Post
    Can anyone shed some light and facts on how they like the 338 Federal on game larger than 400lbs??? I cant find a thing on the internet except some gun writers shooting deer or pigs when the cartridge first came out
    The 24hour Campfire is on the internet and has several reports for the 338 Federal for elk hunting. A lot of elk weigh over 400lbs. Too bad that sights search function only works for members. However, whenever I am googling cartridge information there will always be a few threads from 24hour showing up in the results. In fact when I google the term "338 federal elk" I get dozens of results from all kinds of forums. Maybe your internet is not working very well.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...d_338_Federal_

http://outdoorsdirectory.com/akforum...ting/65080.htm

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...pics/3768345/1

As for personal experience, my uncle has used a .270 Winchester as his moose gun for decades. .270 gives up about 1000 ft/lbs of energy to the 338 Federal and the heaviest 270 bullet is lighter than the lightest 338 bullet. That 270 has killed every moose my uncle has pointed it at, and it's a lot less gun than 338 Federal.

The 338 Federal puts out more horsepower than any .30-06 load, too (3200 ft/lbs vs 2900 ft/lbs). My great uncle was a guide back when Alaska was still a territory. His one gun was a pre-64 model 70 in .30-06. He killed several brown bears with it in wild DLP/backup situations and it never failed him.

I used a .308 Winchester to backup my partner on his moose this year. The correctly placed shot dropped the spike fork (~500-600 lb animal) like a rock. Thats from a scout rifle too, which loses more velocity/energy from the short barrel.

A good friend of our family swears by his .308 Winchester. He dropped a 6x5 elk 2 years ago with one shot.

Plenty of personal experience here that makes me believe the .338 Federal is plenty of gun for big animals. Keep in mind, the Federal is a really new, modern cartridge that takes advantage of a lot of science/experience. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a moose with a 338 Federal. Place the shot right, it'll drop any of those big critters.

For fun, you should watch Bob Fromme's video where he kills a record Kodiak bear with a bow. Talk about being undergunned. Or talk to the natives up north that use old Soviet 7.62x54R rifles (even less energy than 30-06) for polar bear. I'd want a .50 cal for those monsters.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

If the whole purpose if your question is "Should I buy this new gun?", I think you know our opinion on that.

I guess the point of my previous post is, I've seen and known much smaller calibers to work fine on Alaskan size big game. Most of the .308 based cartridges are regarded as accurate and reliable so it would probably do real well up here.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

looks as if you have your answer ! if you want a rifle in 338 Federal go get it and fill the freezer !

Here is some information you may usefull; http://www.chuckhawks.com/338_federal_first_look.htm