Thread: Components for Hunting Loads for 22-250

Default Components for Hunting Loads for 22-250

Hunting coyote I am going to use the following components in my Ruger Target Gray 22-250. Powders - IMR4895, IMR4320, IMR4064, H380; Bullets - Sierra 55gr. SBT, Sierra 55gr. BlitzKing, Nosler 55gr Ballistic Tip; Primer - Fed. 210; Brass - Remington. Any other suggestions of components to consider for hunting loads for shooting coyotes. Also, any body know where I could purchase a hand held wind meter, I have a range finder.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

CCI 200 primers and Varget (I use 36.5 gr with 55 gr bullets; 39.5 with 40 grainers; that was my prairie dog load in CO; I'll probably go back to 55s up here.)

Varget w/55 gr V-Max bullets..... That's the only powder/bullet combo I use for mine!

- Clint

What is the rifling twist in that Ruger?
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Beartooth: you might want to consider A-Max bullets. The are a bit more accurate than V-Max and don't open up as fast for less hide damage. IMO. J.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    What is the rifling twist in that Ruger?
    1:14" RH
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Stay away from the 60 plus grain slugs by OLIN. They come apart and do not stabilize. Your twist would like lighter faster bullets anyway.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Stay away from the 60 plus grain slugs by OLIN. They come apart and do not stabilize. Your twist would like lighter faster bullets anyway.
    Hey Floatpilot, you are right about that the twist does not favor that. You know it is getting warmer down here now and I really need to work up to max if I even get there. thanks you are so right. I think I am going to add varget powder to the mix and also hornady vmax and I think this will give me a lot of opptions. It also could give me more variables than I want so I am going to use a lot of standard loads listed in these powders and bullet mixs and that should limit variables and give me a good idea where to end up.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Well, it took out my Ruger 22-250 and shot factory loads to break it in and establish a base line for accuracy and it really shot well. Tomorrow I will go out and shoot my handloads for hunting and hope that it shoots as well as it did today.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Rifling

The fact you have a 1-14 twist limits how long your bullets can be and still stabilize. The upper reach of bullets you can probably use will be 55 gr BT. You may find it even likes 50-52 grain bullets much better. My 220 Swift tends to like the 52 grain Sierra Matchkings very well. They work very good on everything I've shot with them up the size of coyotes and deer.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    The fact you have a 1-14 twist limits how long your bullets can be and still stabilize. The upper reach of bullets you can probably use will be 55 gr BT. You may find it even likes 50-52 grain bullets much better. My 220 Swift tends to like the 52 grain Sierra Matchkings very well. They work very good on everything I've shot with them up the size of coyotes and deer.
    I think you are right. It really liked the 55gr Nosler ballistic silver tips in fact some of them were touching in a 5 shot group.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Good

Nice looking RIG by the way. I hope it works out for you. GOOD LUCK.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I use Varget and any of the 50 gr Plastic tip bullets. By the way I have used 60gr Hornady, 64 WW, 69 seirra in all of my M77 target 22-250's with no trouble. Actually the 69 was the most accurate in one of them. As with most things gunwise it is best to try them then record the results.