Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to ride?

Default Where to ride?

I get to borrow a couple sleds from a guy at work this weekend. He didn't have any suggestion on where to go since he mainly rides at his cabin. Where is there enough snow to take them out? I'm not looking to punish his machines with bad conditions or anything. O and I live in anchorage. Is there snow anywhere without driving all the wayto the Denali highway area?

Quote Originally Posted by funlvr View Post
    I get to borrow a couple sleds from a guy at work this weekend. He didn't have any suggestion on where to go since he mainly rides at his cabin. Where is there enough snow to take them out? I'm not looking to punish his machines with bad conditions or anything. O and I live in anchorage. Is there snow anywhere without driving all the wayto the Denali highway area?
    Turnagain Pass is probably the best area that isn't more than an hour away.

take them out to the knik river and do some water skippin.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Turnagain Pass is probably the best area that isn't more than an hour away.
    I would check avelanche conditions after the storm we had over the weekend and be careful. I haven't even loaded the sleds on the trailer yet this year...I might go ice fishing this weekend so perhaps will take them out for a spin.

I'm heading up to Petersville today. I'll give my 2 cents on the conditions when I get back tonight.

Please do let us know a'bout petersville.Want to go friday my self. Would stay away from turnagain right now.Even if i owned the machines.

Are you military? If so, base might open to snowmachines soon. Not the best place, but a descent place to just putz around... granted you obey ALL rules

Rode the swamps from the big lot up to Kenny Creek Lodge. Snow was decent, was definitely set up from the warm weather but not nasty icy stuff. Had about 4-6 inches of fresh pow on top, and it snowed all day, had 4+ inches on the truck when we got back. Even with the overcast skies the swamps were nice enough to cruise across at a pretty good clip. Rode the road up to the mining area as the light was very flat and my son and I hadn't been up there in quite awhile. The swamps above the Forks Roadhouse had lots of deep powder on them had a lot of fun carving those. Appears that the temps never got above freezing up there. It was getting late and snowing pretty hard so we didn't try venturing up in the hills.

Parking lot temp was right at 18-20 degrees all day. The weather folks are calling for 12+ more inches by this weekend it should be shaping up really nice!

Thanks for the update. I was thinking I wouldn't get to use them this weekend. How do I get to the parking lot? I don't know the area very well. Any suggestions? Ride anywhere I want? Places not to go?

Willow Is a great plce for borrowed sleds and it nice out here with 4 inches of freash on a 22 " base.
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

You could ride out on the moose range, by the Palmer/fishhook and Wasilla Fishhook crossing. From there you can ride all the way to Sutton if you wanted to, at the base of the hatcher pass mountains
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
    Willow Is a great plce for borrowed sleds and it nice out here with 4 inches of freash on a 22 " base.
    Willow would one of the best of all the below recmmendation's as you are dealing with machines that you are not use to and the trails there are marked and groomed. If you should have any trouble there would be people around that could help, as some ares you might be on your own. Trere are places that can be accessed for food and snacks. Just a good place to go for the first ride. Good Luck

kincaid in anchorage is a place to ride thats convient, its like liberals came took over anchorage and left the people a little tiny reservation to ride their machines on.
    Semper Fi!

more details about kincad would be nice. We just bought two older used sleds Ive done a lot of work on them and would like to take them some where close for a short test run before heading out of town to far.

google it up man, its in anchorage
    Semper Fi!

The walking sack of pig poo and inventor of the "ulu windsheild" knows that Kincaid is closed to all motorized traffic, he's trying to get you arrested! Hatchers opened on the 6th. It's not really for new riders but it's close and easier than Turnagin. Here is the link.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/asp/hatchersnow.pdf
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

This is one of the more complete lists of areas I have been able to find.

http://www.backcountryrebels.com/showthread.php?t=3796
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Thanks for the update. I was thinking I wouldn't get to use them this weekend. How do I get to the parking lot? I don't know the area very well. Any suggestions? Ride anywhere I want? Places not to go?
    First time up there I'd go to Mile 121 on the Parks...big parking lot there, off load and head west on the east/west connector trail. Really well marked and there's miles of swamps to venture off to and play without getting lost.

Quote Originally Posted by ggoodman View Post
    more details about kincad would be nice. We just bought two older used sleds Ive done a lot of work on them and would like to take them some where close for a short test run before heading out of town to far.
    You cannot ride in Kincaid Park.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Contact the Anchorage Snowmobile club, they'll show yah around. I could show you a thing or two about woods ridin if you get a work sled, I'll be carrying some small loads to my remote property which is quite a few miles off trail. There's some good ice fishin and lynx hunting around too, so more than just riding just to ride. Be prepared to discover things that need to be replaced every year on your machine. Maintenance will always be needed.

They must do senior citizen style joy rides on groomed trails though, I don't know what happened to the word "snowmachine"

http://anchoragesnowmobileclub.com/trail_reports.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast