Thread: Dec 6 Deer hunt

Default Dec 6 Deer hunt

First off, Im a bow hunter so this was weird today using a gun (due to my shoulder surgery). I had to shoot on my opposite shoulder. No biggie I can shoot either hand.....

Got to the dock and it was iced up at high tide. Big tractor pulling trucks out and lowering the was down to launch. These trucks had no chairs. We had chains so it was no biggie.

Weather was warm and water was flat. Headed you to our secret squirrel G13 classified spot ...

After we got to our hunting area It didnt take long and we spoted 3 deer.We rafted to shore and Managed to get two. Then we pressed along the beach and saw a another boat on 10 deer on the beach. We kept going and backside of the island we saw a doe. We missed, but that was ok..
    We went into a cove and spotted 3 bucks 2 standing and one laying down. We rafted to shore and by that time one went into the woods. We shot both bucks. A fork horn (big body) and a spike, which the horns feel off when we shot him. Loaded them up and headed 100 yards down shore line of this cove and saw a big doe. I rafted to shore and shot her at 30 yards. Well when I got up to her I noticed it was a buck that just lost it horns. Big heavy buck.
    Loaded that deer up and headed back to the northen part of the island when we saw 4 more deer feeding on the beach. We ended taking them. 3 buck again with now horns and 1 doe.
    Saw 21 deer and we took 9 in 10 hours.

It was a good trip and for me it was my first hunting trip of the year.....
    Will post pictures later.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Wow, sounds like you're set well for the winter, off your first trip of the year

way to get it done, just in time, eh?

So, how were the Deer doing for fat reserves
    after all the snow pushing them down to the beaches (a little early) this year?

Congrats, enjoy all that Venison
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

very nice, keep up the good work!

Alaska Gray, I was the one loading up my blue Hewes at the launch last night when you guys pulled up. Congrats on your deer. We didn't do so well, but had a blast and learned a lot. Next year we will do things very different. We saw 7 total and only dropped 2.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Rob, yeah I had that same problem as you last night until I move the front piece. Now the boat sits on it perfect each time.
    You guys shot up the launch like a rocket. You lucky you made that tunnel you did. The next one was delayed for 15 min. Couldnt of been any nicer out there.

The deer had a good amount of fat on them.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Well, that was the first time out in the boat since I just bought it. I'll have to tighten up the bunks and play with that center piece too like you said. Why didn't you guys make the tunnel? We thought you were right behind us.
    MMSI# 338232859

Default congrats!!!

If I didn't have wrestling tournaments this weekend...I'd be on the water already!!!
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    Well, that was the first time out in the boat since I just bought it. I'll have to tighten up the bunks and play with that center piece too like you said. Why didn't you guys make the tunnel? We thought you were right behind us.
    We had to load all the deer in my truck and moved my gear to my truck and finally remove chains.
    The 26 boat you have is a great one... I love mine. My firend wanted to take his out yesterday, so we did.
    Another thing with that boats help to make it ever and straight is not to have anyone on the boat when you pull it out.. I don't know why, but my boat won't get lay straight if Ihave someone on it.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Great story. Now lets see some pics!!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Attachment 55605
    My buck that just dropped it's antlers
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Planning on heading out tomorrow...Anyone else gonna be around? Were gonna play it safe and not head to Montague. Planning to overnight....thinking about bringing a shotgun..Any ducks around?
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

Arctic Hunter,

There were ducks all over the place in Culross Passage, though it was iced-up pretty heavy and not much of a passage on Saturday. I'd say yes to the shotty if duck is on the menu...

IceKing02

Man...you were out there on Saturday!!! Your a brave soul Thanks for the update...planning on heading thru the Passage
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

I'd take the shotgun too. Loads of ducks. I wish I had taken one last week. Culross Pass does freeze up quite often. Heck, take Perry passage and run the Perry side while you head south. Might get one along the shore there. We had a boat cut in front of us last week and shot one around the corner before we got there.
    MMSI# 338232859