Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any 7mm-08 fans out there?

Default Any 7mm-08 fans out there?

I recently picked up a safe queen. It's a control round feed model 70 Feather Weight!

We all know what its like to shoulder a rifle that just feels perfect! Well thats this rifle.

Smitty has given praise to the .284 numerous times and even though I fight his fire with some 270 ramblings, in reallity I know he's right. I have had a few 7mm-08s in my possesion over the years but it was just never in a gun that I was in love with. Well this one is already in the lighted gun case that is in view from my recliner.
    It stays!

I am a one load per rifle guy. So what bullet should be my choice for hunting whitetail, boar and maybe an elk or caribou. I have bounced everything from 120 grainers up to 175 grainers around in my head and have kind of settled on 140 grainers. It's not to late to change my thinking though!

What are your experiences?

You 280 Remington and 7mm Mauser guys speak up as well

I'm between 7-08's right now, mostly because we have three 7x57's in the house. With elk on your list I'd probably go with the 150 grain partition, though I've always opted for the 160 grain version instead for moose. In truth you're probably not far off the mark with a 140 when I consider the ballistics against the 270, with which I've shot a couple of elk and one moose using 130 partitions.

I'm kinda funny with deer though. Too many have succumbed to the 139 grain Hornady for me to write it off completely. I bet it would be fine and dandy for elk too, though I haven't tried it. I can say for sure that deer absolutely hate it!

Sounds like another rifle you should give away to a deserving deer hunter like me.

Actually you'll have a hard time improveing on the 139-150 weight bullets in this rifle. I've had good luck with the 284 size bullet family and am currently considering a 284 winchester addition.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I believe I'd shoot 140gr ABs out of that thing as fast as I could with good accuracy and call it a day...

Nice find!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I've not killed truck loads of game, so I have little, to base my opinion on. Nonetheless, I do have an opinion.

I think most folks with 7mm-08s would opt for 140s but I like to use heavy for caliber bullets, myself.

The Boos I've shot with my 280 were all with 145 grain Speers, at a bit over 2600 fps, due the short barrel.

From the damage it did, with that light weight bullet, and at that rather low velocity, I felt I needed a heavier bullet for greater penetration. I also felt I'd have a better chance with the heavier bullet, if I encountered an Attacking Bear.

I moved up to 160 grain Speer boolits, but I never kilt anything with that load.

I started using 7 Mags, and 160 grain Noslers Partitions. Nosler PTs, because of the higher velocities in the Mags. Those go through both shoulders of a Boo.

I hunted with 175 grain Hornadys in my 7mm Mauser, which is quite similar to the 7mm-08, this year, but never got a shot.

You can handload the heavy bulllets in the 7mm-08, but I don't think you will find a FL heavier than 140 grain.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

If it's only one load I would look hard at the 160 Accubond. It has a good BC and velocity is still pretty good. If your rifle likes that load I'd hunt just about everything with it. I'll be working up a load with this bullet for my 7x57.

Nope 140gr Barnse TSX with a good dose of RL 15! Don't even waste your time with the other bullets....

Well, I don't have a 7mm-08 (yet), but I do have a .280. I really wanted to shoot 140 grainers, but darned if my rifle doesn't prefer 150-160 grain. I haven't been able to find a 140 gr load that it likes as well as factory 150 gr Core-lokts or handloaded 160 gr partitions. Plus now that I'm in Colorado, I'm thinking that 160 gr partition load will make a nice elk round. If you want to play around a bit, try a few different loads of varying bullet weights. If not, I'd say the 150 gr partition should do pretty well for the animals on your list. My $.02

I've settled on 150 grain Nosler Partitions. They shoot good in my 7mm's and kill everything I point them at.

I killed 2 does a few years back at around 275 lasered yds with a 7/08 Encore pistol with a 15" barrel and a Weaver 2-8x scope with the 150's. Not that I'm that good, but the stars aligned and they fell where they stood. I caught a lot of BS from my hunting partners and the shots were mixed with luck but it proved to me that the 7/08 is a fine round even from a short barrel. I have no reason to think that round would not kill an elk or moose.

this is a favorite of mine....a remington 700 titanium.
    shooting factory core-locts i have taken lots of deer, and as you can see it shoots pretty good..
    happy trails.
    jh

EKC,
    I have ventilated 3 bull elk with a 280 shooting 139 or 140 gr nosler partitions. All died and did not go far - however they are a bit like moose in the sense it may take them a couple minutes to know they are dead! I would not hesitate to shoot another one with the same load - however if I was setting a gun up just to hunt elk I would try running some heavier boolits thru it to see how they perform. The 160's - 175's would get my attention. On one Montana elk hunt my good friend was shooting 130 gn win bullets outa a 270 - he left a pile a brass on the ground that took 2 days to clean up with a scoop shovel while trying to drop a nice bull I spotted for him at about 50 yards
    Now caribou are much easier to drop then an elk - heck I watched one old native guide pass gas and drop two at a hundred yards with just the wind! Truthfully caribou do seem to take much less to kill so the 139/140 bullet would be more than sufficient...
    My newest 280 ( Rem 700 ) really likes the 140 gr Hornady Interlocks cheap and exceptionally accurate - have not shot any critters with it yet but God willing I may get in an antelope hunt with forum member Phil from New York next fall and correct that problem!
    My friends with 7mm-08's all tell me how accurate and non-finicky their guns are so I think you will be very happy....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

If it was me, I would load up to max velocity with 140 gr Accubonds and Partitions, and choose the one that was most accurate.

I am a fan, my daughter shoots a 7mm-08. She has used the 140 grain Remington factory ammo since I have not worked up a load for it yet. (Bad daddy) She's taken caribou and wolf with it. Its an excellent round.

I have one too but in a 15" Encore pistol with a 2-7 Leupold. I love the round. Hitting targets out to 225 yards is easy. I load the 140's as my general bullet.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I have one in a Remington Model 7 stainless synthetic that I hunted with for many years. My go-to bullet that produced consistent one-shot kills on deer and antelope and even one bull caribou was a Sierra Pro-Hunter 120 grain spitzer. With the bullets that are available now, I would probably still stick with a 120, but it would be a Barnes Triple Shock instead.
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

My nephew took a 63" bull moose this past September with a 140gr Partition out of a youth Weatherby 7mm-08. Performance was good enough that the bull dropped right away.

I took a spike elk last week down here in AZ with the new E-Tip Nosler bullet in .308 diameter. They also make that bullet in .284 in 140gr and 150gr weights. I really like the results I had with the E-Tip. It's a copper alloy similar to Nosler's jacket material on their other bullets. Copper fouling was not an issue for my rifle during testing.

I do like TSX's but this E-Tip has higher BC numbers and less fouling. Like the TSX you can eat right up to the hole, no lead fragments in your meat if you happen to whack him in the good stuff.

I've killed many critter w/ the mighty little seven & w/ an assortment of different bullets minus the barnes. I've killed mule deer w/ the 145g speer GS & BT, caribou w/ the speer BT, elk w/ 150g swift scirocco, 140g berger, grizzly w/ 150g swift scirocco, black bears w/ the 160 speer mag tip, moose w/ 160g mag tip & ican't forget about yotes. In a varity of ranges from 21 feet to 613 yards.. Probably the MOST under rated round there is ... Period... Thats why I have 2 ( two ) of them.. Results, ya betcha.. Whata see I can prove it. The only bullet that did not completely pass through was the 150 scirocco @ 613 yards on a 4x5 bull elk. The little seven is easy to load for w/ great accuracy but, i like the varget the best. My latest load is 140 berger VLD hunting bullet . REALLY accurate & was REALLY impressed w/ game killing performence.. 2011 CO elk 205 yards quater to me shot through shoulder, rib, lungs, heart, rib, exit hole the size of a golf ball & a blood trail that looked like he had been shot w/ a bow....
    Enough said !!! elk 2011.jpg

That's wonderful performance!!! If you could only have on bullet in the 7/08???

Back in the mid late 50 early 60's I was cowboying on a few big ranches in NM and CO. I shot many a mullie and several elk with a 92 Spanish Mauser in 7x57 loaded with 139 Sierra bullets. Shots were usually very short as we were horse back and could get to the animals but even the big elk were full penetration. I am sure there has a lot of good and probably better bullets designed sine then but is what we had and they worked fine.

I would use the berger in the western states & the 160 mag tip in alaska

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast