Thread: The best season of my life.

Default The best season of my life.

Well a month and a half later im finally posting the rest of my hunting season. The last 2 years i couldnt buy any luck. 2009 ended up being the first year since i was 13 that i didnt kill a big game animal. I dealt with a hunting partner that was supposed to be a friend completly ruined our sheep hunt. Wont get into that one. One hunter that i guided ended up being a total ***hole who dont appreciate mother nature, people, or hunting. I guided another brown bear hunter at the end of season and we had some of the worst floods ive ever seen and didnt even see one bear in an area we usually see a bunch. 2010 wasnt any better. Didnt have any luck harvesting an animal this year either. Guided one sheep hunt and got caught in the worst storm ive ever been in. The wind took out my hilleberg nallo ripping the rain fly. The winds were blowing so hard my hunter and i couldnt even stand up. We got in are sleeping bags with are boots and clothes on and bundled what we could of the rain fly around us. We had to spend 8 hours like that till it got light enough to hike off the mountain. Then i had some knee problems that ended my season. Well enough of the miserable stuff.

2011 started with a sheep hunt with a good friend of mine Josh. I posted this hunt back in august. We worked are butts off. Took us 2 1/2 days to hike out. Joshs ram was low 30s with 13 5/8 bases 11yr old ram that was double broomed. Mine was 38 1/2 with 13 7/8 bases 9yrs old.

The 19th of august I went out to western alaska to guide 2 grizzly hunts. My first hunter was from NC and retired from the navy. All my hunters this year were great guys who work or worked hard for there money and they appreciated everything about there hunts. Most of all they appreciated and respected nature. Another note, all of them were in the military at some point in there life. Guys like this make me love doing this and make it feel like im hunting with a friend not a client. My client ended up shooting a nice 8ft grizz. We saw 3 grizzlys, 6 blackies hundreds of caribou and 2 wolverines. After he left i flew back to the base camp where i would guide my second hunter. He was from NM and was in the Air Force special forces and is now a doctor. On his hunt we saw 2 grizzlys that we werent able to get close enough to. We saw a bunch of black bears and he was able to harvest a nice 6ft 2in boar blackie. We also seen a few dozen caribou 2 nice bulls that i would have shot if I wasnt guiding. I was in the bush for 23 days and it rained on us everyday.

September 14th a buddy of mine from michigan came up for a moose hunt. Are plan was to fly out and float the river back to the road. We got in there loaded the raft and floated down to where we were gona camp. We hunted that spot for 3 days. We saw a bunch of cows and 4 bulls 2 that were legal but they were way to far away to pack out so we let them be. On the 3rd evening we decided to climb the bluff close to camp and watch the river bed. We hadnt even got to the spot we wanted to be and we spoted a cow walking up the river. Right behind her was another cow and a nice bull. I told my friend to quietly get setup and ill let you know if its legal. Has he was getting ready the first cow spotted him and turned to head the other way. The bull came in clear view 110yards away and i new right away he was over 50. Soon as he got broadside he let him have it. The first shot was a little back so i had him put another one in and he tipped right over 40 yards from the river. As we were standing there celebrating i heard some splashing in the small creek right below us. I looked and a wolverine was running up the creek right to me. 40yards away and i put him down with one shot. I couldnt believe what just happened. The moose ended up being 58 1/4in. We got the moose all butcherd that night and headed down stream the next morning thinking we could get out in a day or 2. Well as we got down river the water got shallow and we had to drag the raft couple times not fun. Once we got to were another creek joined in the water level was good but then we ran into 4 log jams. One we were able to cut through with an axe and the other 3 we had to hike are gear and raft around. 4 1/2 days later we finally made it to the road. The float out was definetly one of the most mentally tuff things ive had to deal with. Keeping the meat was really stressing me out just when we would get it all dry itd get wet again. But we did good and didnt lose any of it. I let the meat thing stress me out more than i should but that stuff is great to eat and id hate to get a stupid ticket for wanton waste. We ended up seeing over 40 moose a wolf a wolverine and a dozen or so caribou.

My last hunt went well. I went down to the alaska penn. to guide a brown bear hunt. My hunter was from Ohio. He was in the army and now works at a correctional facilty. He brought his wife with him too. She dont hunt so she stayed at the base camp while we hunted during the day. We saw an average of 5 to 6 bears a day and he ended up getting a 8ft 9in sow and that was the 11th bear we seen that day. He got the bear on the 4th day and wanted to stay for the rest of the hunt to just hang out. So the next 6 days him his wife and I just relaxed glassed for bears and fished for the next 6 days. I love guiding people that just want to be out in nature enjoying it. I dont know how many bears we ended up seeing but it was a bunch. We saw a couple dozen caribou and 3 wolves. One hunter that was at a spike camp shot a monster 10ft bear that fish and game measured at 29 2/16.

Well thats my season hope you all enjoy. Theres no way i can ever ask for a season like this again. I seen some things and places ive never seen and may never again. I want to thank my friends the hunters i guided and the guys i worked for for the best season of my life. Oh and i cant forget my girlfriend who i got engaged to this summer. I just cant believe i found one that likes the outdoors as much as me and lets me do the things i love.

P8110128.jpgP8110107.jpg

Awesome!!! Good job man!!!

Nothing better than sharing success with those that truly enjoy and respect the outdoors.

Wishing you an even better season next year and congrats on your success this year!!!
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thanks for sharing the good and also the things that didn't go so well.

Sounds like a truly great year, and the partners who appreciate the wilderness, what a relief they are, eh?

May be what made the year great as much as all the fine animals taken
    I love the part about folks wanting to stay six more days out there, just glassin' and enjoyin' the AK Peninsula country after taking a Bear on the 4th day.
    I can relate to folks like that

and no doubt, the adversity of your two years prior probably had you Really Appreciatin' stuff like good hunters and lots of critters in your scopes, way more than otherwise

AND, as to the Wolverine "offering himself up," Im still waitin for my turn at something like that,........yeah

thanks for the story and all the pics
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Me too, I want a Wolverine.

Good efforts that paid off it appears. Your hooked now. You'll be dreaming about AK hunts the rest of your days.

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunter7 View Post
    The last 2 years i couldnt buy any luck.
    Why is a guide worried about buying "luck?" Aren't you supposed to be selling "luck" to gullible clients from Iowa? Get that Super Cub out a little more often and you'll find plenty of "luck" to sell. It's lucky if I drive down Chena Hot Springs Road on September 4 and find a bull moose standing by the road and not in a swamp. There's nothing lucky about being paid to find animals and then indeed finding them. Give me a plane and 300 days and I'll find all sorts of "luck" to sell. "No officer, we were just taking pictures of the glacier - on all six passes. Sheep? What sheep?"
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Haha your a funny guy. First of all I did not and have not done any flying around spotting animals on these hunts. The only flying i did was to and from camp. Even if we did fly around spotting animals you cant hunt them till the next day and officer it is legal to spot animals as long as your not harrasing them or any hunters. Its funny how people think guides are rich and they can afford to just fly around spotting animals that probly wont be in that same spot the next day. I dont own a plane and the guys I work for dont own a plane. Its funny how people hear about a couple outfitters and they think there all the same. Ill agree with you though there are outfitters that fly and fly for sheep but that dont mean they can hike to it. I guide the same way as i would hunt for myself I pick a spot get dropped off or hike in and hunt my ass off. Every sheep hunt but one I have guided as been hike in hunts that we worked are ass' off for and the one we flew in we tagged out on the 8th day and not once did we fly around looking for sheep. I know a guy with a cub and he hunted the same ram for 3 years and couldnt get it. He spent hours flying looking for it every year. He never got that sheep another guy did that just got droped off by a air taxi the guy didnt even know the ram was there. So whats the difference if i have a client with me its still hunting. If it wasnt hunting then id have a 100% success rate but i dont and any one thats ever hunted weather legal or not doesnt have 100% success. 300 days to fly haha I wish man i have a real job and i just do this during season cause i love to hunt I will never get rich guiding. Im sorry your right its not luck its hard work that pays off. So I guess I just work harder than you to get animals and get paid for it dont be jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    Why is a guide worried about buying "luck?" Aren't you supposed to be selling "luck" to gullible clients from Iowa? Get that Super Cub out a little more often and you'll find plenty of "luck" to sell. It's lucky if I drive down Chena Hot Springs Road on September 4 and find a bull moose standing by the road and not in a swamp. There's nothing lucky about being paid to find animals and then indeed finding them. Give me a plane and 300 days and I'll find all sorts of "luck" to sell. "No officer, we were just taking pictures of the glacier - on all six passes. Sheep? What sheep?"

Glad to hear your hardwork has paid off.. I would kill right now just to be able to go out and observe animals right now... You sound like you do it for the love and passion of hunting and not just to make a buck.. Good luck to you next year man, there will be a lot of returning military members ready for some Alaska wilderness hunts next season so be ready...

KUDOS to your passion for the outdoors! I believe if you can't appreciate the outdoors then don't live in Alaska. I get excited when I am with family or friends and they have the opportunity to harvest an animal, no matter what the size. Those are some awesome tales of what hunting is all about. Keep up the passion for the outdoors.

Those are some fine critters for sure .Congrats

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Hope next year is even better. You do a pretty good job too on your pictures. I find that its not that easy to do. I think next year is going to be my year! Good Luck and thanks for posting

Awesome pictures man... congrats on such a good year. It's nice to see somebody put so much hard work into something and have it pay off for them.

Thanks for sharing.