Thread: Jigs or bait?

Default Jigs or bait?

I've only ever used eggs worms and shrimp. I'm thinking of trying jigs or spoons because Id like to target bigger fish does anybody else fish by this logic? I've never caught anything other than small rainbows and dollies. Do you guys jig with spoons jigs with fly type bodies or soft baits? Also what size I'd really like to catch some burbut or lakers or even bigger rainbows. Thanks for any tips.

I catch alot of big rainbows on little rubber jigs maybe 2" or long or so with the squid like tail. If they are there generally they'll bite at what you've put down.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I have better luck using spoons or rubber jigs than I do using bait. Bait is to high maintenance because of the little bait robbers. Jigging keeps me busy and isn't as boring also. I generally try both and end up jigging hardware. I fish Big Lake quite a bit and bait isn't an option there, plus you need a single hook on your lures, so it can be challenging at times

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

that flying rapala lure is a good one, and you cant go wrong with a swedish pimple. Those are my two go-to jigs and they work great, often better than bait. Also With that rappala jig, I tip the lip with a single egg or one of those artificial grubs. It looks just like a little smolt with a piece of food in its mouth and fish slam that thing.

Big lure, big fly, big jig....big fish. The trick is fishing through the little ones, which can drive you nuts, or finding a body of water with mostly big fish.

Swedish Pimples are my #1 choice. Tube jigs and even Kastmasters work well, too. Tip with your favorite meat or eggs and go with it.

P.S. When it comes down to it, it's all up to the fish.

I guess im still new at this too because im still cutting jigs out of herring i filet the little guy and just cut like a plastic jig out of it give it a tail keep it kinda thin 1/2 inch or so the herring is real flashey and scales go everywere but this is only season 2 for me im gonna try these suggestions too with spoons and plastics FISH ON!!!!!

you want a 2 page response or a 10 letter response (the legal minimum for this website)? you should make one of them fancy polls
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Jigs and spoons have been working for me a lot this year. Krockodile spoons in the medium size has caught some hogs this year. That and aerojigs. I have had some beasts smash the aerojigs dead sticking. Not even jigging and they would smash it. Taking a break and leaving the rod on the holder you wouldn't think a fish would take it....but they did and I almost lost my rod on several occasions.

I've caught a few nice fish on 4 inch tube jigs, zoom super flukes, but majority of my fish have been caught on a phone spoon. I'm a witness to what nook said I even saved one of his rods lol. Other than that only one fish had been caught on bait this year. Tomorrow may be different. My son seems to have a ton of luck when using bait
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

I lost my rod this weekend at Big Lake using a jig head with a Twister tail. I stepped out of the shelter for 10 min, come back, no pole. And I had it wedged in the shelter tight with a medium drag set. Had to have been a monster...

Anyways, I always jig with Krocs or Pimples, and sometimes put a little piece of bait on the end (when allowed).

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    I catch alot of big rainbows on little rubber jigs maybe 2" or long or so with the squid like tail. If they are there generally they'll bite at what you've put down.
    Overall this has worked the best for me as well on the little stockers tipped with an egg or just plain. In Oregon we called them crappie jigs.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanassasin View Post
    Overall this has worked the best for me as well on the little stockers tipped with an egg or just plain. In Oregon we called them crappie jigs.
    The rat finkee jigs, and the ratso are great for little stocker salmon. The ones I use for trout have a small lead head on them with a bigger hook. Trout can't swallow them and they don't get away unless the line breaks.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default I tried jigging

But I only had 1 hit. I don't really know how to jig I tried just jiggling it lightly jumping it a foot off the bottom and letting it sit for a few seconds I used a yellow Swedish pimple and a jig head with a glow tube on it

I use jigs all the time but i usually tip them with some raw shrimp or a single egg.
    I haven't used a plain hook in 4-5 years or so.
    My favorites include berklrys Atomic teaser tube jigs in a white color and just about anything made by custom jigs and spins.
    http://www.berkley-fishing.com/produ...-atomic-teaser
    The jigs from custom jigs nd spins are top notch in quality and are american made. Their rat finkee is good my Fiancee really likes the Ratso with a pink jig head and white body. The Shrimpo is another great jig as is the teardrop they make called a Popee. I can usually outfish a swedish pimple with the Slender spoon they make but both are good options.
    I like Airplane jigs for pike and Lakers and spoons can be good for those as well.
    We sometimes catch big fish on some pretty small jigs. nothing like catching a 21" rainbow on a 1/64th oz. or smaller jighead.
    I also like to use a slip dropper(also custom jigs and spins) above a small jig to get it down quicker and add some attracting flash.
    http://www.customjigsandspins.com
    I will gladly fish my jigs tipped with bait next to a person only using bait and will outfish them everytime.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I've been enjoying some recent success with Live Line 1.5" tube jigs, fished without eggs or other bait. I've fished near or with a gentleman who catches more fish than anyone I've encountered this year on the ice. He uses these tube jigs straight, on both dead stick rods and jigging rods, and just throttles char and bows while the rest of us are struggling just to get a couple takes. I won't divulge his favorite color, suffice it to say many colors work, including red, red/yellow, pearl, smoke, and pepper something.

I still can't wrap my head around fish turning their noses up at salmon eggs and worms, just to crush a piece of rubber and try to steal the rod! I tried them again this morning and had my best action in the last 5-6 trips. I'm not new to ice fishing and have done well with my usual jigs/baits, but wish I had known of these years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanassasin View Post
    lol finally someone knows what they are called