Thread: hydrogen peroxide on frozen blood

Default hydrogen peroxide on frozen blood

Got a call to track a fox for a girl that marginally shot one I won't be there till 3 or so and I was wondering if peroxide would bubble up on blood when its frozen?. She said it bled a lot for a while then quit she doesn't know anything about hunting and isn't a good shot so I a little concernedI'm the one people call around here with stuff like that but I have never tracked a fox and I always heard they don't bleed even when shot in the chest and with all the ice on top of the snow it might be a bit difficult . She shot at it at 70 yards with a 22 and I told her to aim the cross hair width above it figuring a Hugh shot is better than a low one but now of course I'm second guessing mg self cause she was Truman talk on the phone to me and I'm a bad teacher plus she was excited any advice would be great! Thanks
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I imagine when you spray it that it will thaw and it should bubble. But I wouldn't think you'd need the peroxide, should be able to see even the smallest speck of blood on the snow. I shot a fox up on the slope with my bow and had to trail it for a little ways in the snow. The smallest specks were easy to see and I was able to get a follow up shot on him.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I doubt peroxide would help much if at all. Best bet is to take it slow and follow the bloodtrail as far as you can. If you lose the blood trail, start making ever widening circles from the last spot of blood, and look for additional sign. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

It'll freeze up right away. Won't help a bit.

Hydrogen peroxide foam is white I think it would be hard to see on white snow. A bright light I would think would work better also mark the location of each drop to help keep you on track.

And if you can't find it during the day .. perhaps one of those blood lights and trying after dark.
    http://www.elusivewildlife.com/produ...e&iProduct=117

take a dog with you.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    take a dog with you.

+1!

If no dog, tracking its path by sight should be as normal as any tracking would be.

Hope ya get 'em!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

tracked it for bout a mile and I think it was minorly liver and gut shot, I found out that it was shot form 150 yards with a 40 Gr round nose ( I had blind type thing made at 50 yards that I wanted her to shoot from). I found a ton of blood, and it layed down after about 50 yards, but after they shot they high tailed over there and pushed it. anyway, I found a bunch of blood after 20 yards, the blood lasted about 60 yards, then it pretty much stopped, they pretty much obliterates any tracks for a big area, but I managed to track my way out of it, got to where I would only find where its fur would touch up against the snow or something. I was surprised, it was hard to see the small specks of blood cause of all the other colors of sticks and moss and other stuff falling from the trees, plus it seemed that its back feet always landed on it. anyway, it quit bleeding but I still managed to track it for another 400 yards but then it was getting so hard to see the tracks I gave up, plus it was getting dark, you know how it is I feel pretty confident that I did all I could to recover it, I would be willing to bet it dies in a while, she shot at it about 11:30, and I started tracking about 3:30. I might go out tomorrow and make big circles. But i'm pretty sick and mad about the whole thing, cause my brother who is an excellent shot and at least knows to wait a while to track an animal. he was house sitting about a half mile away, and my sis (who is "that lady") didn't call him.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I dont wait a second for Fur to lay down, Im right on top of them, 'cause unlike most veg eaters, Fur will go and go and go once wounded. They might pause to get a breath, lick the wound, get a second wind, but no Fur Ive chased ever waited for me.

Caribou, Moose, Ox and such will go aways and bed downn when they feel they are no being persued, but you have to be right ontop of most predators, they wont rest till they get to the den, if they use such.

If you find the Fox before the Ravens notice hes dead, tomarrow, you'll have quite a prize

+1 on using a bloodlight once the light starts to fade. These work great

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    I dont wait a second for Fur to lay down, Im right on top of them, 'cause unlike most veg eaters, Fur will go and go and go once wounded. They might pause to get a breath, lick the wound, get a second wind, but no Fur Ive chased ever waited for me.

Caribou, Moose, Ox and such will go aways and bed downn when they feel they are no being persued, but you have to be right ontop of most predators, they wont rest till they get to the den, if they use such.

If you find the Fox before the Ravens notice hes dead, tomarrow, you'll have quite a prize
    I'm positive it layer down, dono if it was to like its wounds or not, I figures since deer and moose do that a fox would too.

Yep, very possible he layed down to lick them wounds, catch his breath and go.

Predators are not like Deer, they will not "bed down", and be found later, unless the wound is debiltating, but yet Ive seen spine shot Wolves drag themself 1/4 mile with front legs only, as well as tracked predators to their dens after they broke a trap/chain and took that with em....... they will flee the area, and return to a den if they have one, if not they will go to a high ground and look to see whos comming for them.

I know and count on this when I hunt them.

I have found Arctic Fox are the only Fox that are denless, most all Red Fox operate out of a family den. I bet if you put your tracking skills to it, you'll find the den, and trap them all.

I hear one yipping/howling like they do last night, I though I had pin pointed a den, I found a hole with steam coming out, but no den to be found. I scoured the area for a couple minutes

Could it be a bear den?

I ment a couple hours, not minutes. if it was a bear den I woulda still found a hole, aye?

Bears pack the hole shut with brush and dirt to seal it up, you might look for a lump of that stuff sticking outta hole, usually along cut banks along creeks, often on a high spot.

ok cool thanks. i haunt found the steam hole this year, BTW i posted about the fox in the trapping forum