Hi Team,

This week I received, via e-mail, information from Clint Habeck on the 4 position postal matches called the Dakota League. For those of you who are new, there are eight matches. We shoot the 1st one in December in order to have it in the mail by January. The last match is due April 10, 2012. Basically, all we need are targets from 4 individuals to make a team. If you are unable to shoot a match, it’s OK. You can shoot it at a later date but the scores will not count toward the team. However, the scores will count to your total score for the league. If you could let me know whether you care to participate by November 21, 2011, I would appreciate it. Clint wants the entry fees and information as soon as possible so he can mail the targets to us. If you haven’t shot in the league before, I’ll need your NRA number and indoor 4 position classification by November 21st. You do not have to have an indoor 4 position classification in order to participate. You get one at the end of the season. Also let me know by then if you indoor 4 position classification has changed.

The cost of the league will be $25.00 this year. The fee includes an NRA fee, individual entry fee, and the team entry fee. I can collect the $25.00 from you at your first session of the league or at the November 26, 2011 fun match at the Mat Valley Range.

Above and beyond the Dakota league fee there is a range fee for use of the Mat Valley Range. I believe it is still $20 per session for non members and $10 for members. Member punch cards (8 visits) are available for $68. I would recommend everyone become a member as it would save you money and simplify the book keeping plus you’ll be lending support a fine organization.

The Matanuska Valley Sportsmen are continuing the Monday night .22 caliber pistol and rifle sessions from 6:00 PM to 9 PM. This gives you and additional time to fire the Dakota League. Our normal Dakota League sessions are on Thursday nights from 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM. As you can ascertain from the table below there are not as many Dakota League sessions as in the past due to scheduling. There is the possibility of having Sunday February 12, and Sunday March 11 for shooting the Dakota League or just plain practice, if there is enough interest. This would also be contingent on finding a range officer. We would have to have 5 individuals to show up for the Sunday sessions to make it economically feasible. Let me know.

Dates Mat Valley Range is Available Thursdays from 6-9 PM Match Number and Date Which Dakota League Targets Must be Mailed
December 8 & 15, 2011 Match #1 - January 3, 2012
December 29, 2011 & January 12, 2012 Match #2 – January 17, 2012
January 19 & 26, 2012 Match #3 – January 31 2012
January 26, 2012* Match #4 – February 14, 2012
February 16 & 23, 2012 Match #5 – February 28, 2012
March 8, 2012 Match #6 – March 13, 2012
March 15 & 22, 2012 Match #7 – March 27, 2012
March 29, 2012 & April 5, 2012 Match #8 – April 10, 2012
*February 9, 2012 is the annual general membership meeting of the Matanuska Valley Sportsmen. Therefore the range is unavailable.

If you have any questions or know of someone who wants to participate, either e-mail me or call 694-2201.

Al Nyback
Eagle River, Alaska