Thread: First fox yesterday

Default First fox yesterday

I went out to check my little (tiny/non-existent) 6 snare, snare line yesterday and walked up to the creek and it was all overflow. 2 fox snares that had been set in the creek on sign were completely submerged so I pulled one out and closed it since there wasn't another viable spot for it until the creek freezes again the other snare was under a log going across the creek so I pulled it up and re angled it so that if something went over the log it would get them since nothing will be going under for awhile. Then the conundrum of getting to the other side of the creek needed to be solved so after walking back and forth along the bank I found a spot that looked narrow enough to hop across threw my bag and snowshoes across and jumped. I made it to the other side and just had some water on my leg gaiters no sweat, throw the snowshoes back on and start trudging again. The next 3 snares were empty and the loop was at or below the snow level so I lift them all up and head for the last snare on the line. As I am walking I am thinking about how if its empty I have to walk back empty handed...and that's when I see it, or at least part of it the tail and as I walk around the trees I see the rest of it

So I am stoked, first fox ever first time doing any kind of trapping other than tagging along with someone. I cut the wire throw it in a game bag and start walking back. I get back to the creek and the problem of getting back rears its ugly head. I find a spot that looks good brush on both sides figure I can grab some of the brush on the other side and pull myself over when I jump. Toss the fox, pack and snowshoes over reaaaach for the branches start to fall jump as best I can and SPLASH I am waist deep in water and slush and the bank is about shoulder high so I grab branches and pull try to get a foot hold and slide back in repeat with same result, this sucks, reach again and pulll finally get a foot hold and get out of the water I I start getting the snowshoes back on and realize my foot isn't wet its swimming tear the gaiters off and look for somewhere to lean against to empty my boot and there is nothing near by. Call my buddy that goes out with me to let him know what happened incase I get into real trouble since he knows the trail we take since 2 sections are cross country and 2 are following snow machine trails. Get his voice mail even though he had just texted me. Text him to call me. Throw snowshoes on and start walking go a mile to cover as the crow flies so probably 1.25-1.5 all told. Buddy calls me back and I am hoofing it and talking to him. He is making sure I am not getting tired. I am telling him that the bush that you can barely see from the trail looks like a good spot to go lay down behind to take a nap. Finally get back to the truck about 35-40 minutes after going in the water. Never really got cold probably due to the warm @26 degrees out and the fact that I stayed moving and didn't let myself cool down. This was a first for me and probably the most "danger" I have been in as far as cold related and really aside from a strained calf muscle from climbing out no worse for the wear. Its all part of the experience of getting my first fox now. One thing I am definitely taking away from this is if you take the dry wool socks out of your pack to check to make sure you have everything put them back before you leave.

Quote Originally Posted by FloorGuy View Post
    One thing I am definitely taking away from this is if you take the dry wool socks out of your pack to check to make sure you have everything put them back before you leave.
    Ha! Classic.

Nicely done, sir. I hope to emulate your success someday.

Supporting Member

Once again, congratulations on your first fox, John! I am sure there will be many more to follow in the days to come.

Very nice write up and Fox. Those fox can be real tricky to trap. No experiance trying to snare but Scent control is what helped me be good at the trapping part. Good luck