Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moonshine still...?

Default Moonshine still...?

Anyone ever built one? A buddy and I are thinking about putting one together for some "personal use".
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I'm pretty sure the BATF and feds still frown upon distilling spirits w/o a license.

It's one of those items I've been curious about, but the legal ramifications have disuaded me.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I have to do some more research, but the Alaska statute reads like this -

AS 04.21.015. Private Manufacture of Alcoholic Beverages.

(a) Except as provided in (b) of this section, the provisions of this title do not apply to the private manufacture of alcoholic beverages. (b) This section does not apply to AS 04.16.050 , 04.16.051, 04.16.080; AS 04.21.010 , 04.21.020; alcoholic beverages manufactured in a quantity that exceeds the limit imposed on private manufacture under federal law; or an area that has adopted a local option law under AS 04.11.491 .
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Hmmm....looks like I found my answer. Feds screwing my plans up again...

http://www.ttb.gov/faqs/genalcohol.shtml
    AKmud

Just drink the evidence... :-)

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

For informational purposes only , The Alaskan Bootlegger's Bible is a good resource.
    http://www.amazon.com/Alaskan-Bootle...3201031&sr=1-2

Discovery channel is going air two new shows this summer,, "Moonshiners" and "Mountain Men of Alaska" seems like you aren't the only one that thinks Moonshine and Alaska go together. Might be able to pick up some tips.

I have a friend from Tennessee that has family in the hills that cook up shine on a regular basis. We would run across old sites while searching for wild ginseng in the hills in old mining country.

Being illegal don't bother them much,, and WOW that stuff will make you crazy. Plus you can pour it into your gas tank if you run out of gas.

Maybe that's an idea,, "No sir officer, that is not illegal whiskey,, it's bio fuel"

I'm sure there are some hill folk on here that have the know how,, Strictly for educational purposes of course!!!
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Nothing difficult about building one, but it is a matter of whether or not you're willing to risk the consequences if you get caught. In this state you're better off growing pot than getting caught operating a still. I'm not a huge shine fan, anyway. I'll take a good hard cider over shine any day, and it won't land you in jail.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Not that I know anything about it, but make sure you use silver solder on your joints and not plumber's lead solder....lead be bad for you....oh yeah..that's bio fuel.

Hard cider is really easy to make and comes in up to 9% ABV. Home brewing is also a fun hobby and if you can build a still you can make an all grain nano brewery that is legal.

Best,

Not that I know anything about it, but if you make friends with your produce manager you can get free too ripe to sell fruit that makes a great fruit wine. You need a big container like a 5 gal bucket washed out well and a lid. Mash up the fruit and put water in to cover the fruit but leave some room for expanding. Add some sugar and yeast and let the fermenting begin. The longer you work the yeast the stronger the wine (more alcohol) so add sugar a little at a time and don't overfeed the yeast with too much sugar. Keep the lid laying on top of the bucket but NOT sealed to keep the bugs out and the yeast likes a warm place so don't put outside or where it is cold. Some may find the smell objectionable....

Strain the wine two or three times thru cheese cloth or just a towel and taste it. If it's good...drink it but not while driving anything. Bottle in mason canning jars and leave the lid loose until you are sure it is done fermenting or they will explode....but then, how would I know!!

Quote Originally Posted by salmonid View Post
    Hard cider is really easy to make and comes in up to 9% ABV. Home brewing is also a fun hobby and if you can build a still you can make an all grain nano brewery that is legal.

Best,
    Pie Plant (Rhubarb) wine regularly finishes at 14% ABV.... just sayin....!

One can make his own here within the legal parameters. It's more than generous enough to share one with your friends and is a rather big hobby here. Different laws in different States and the last thing you want or need is Federal attention of that variety as they are often want to take all your stuff away under the ill gotten gains act.

if you make it to burn in your car (I think the car has to be carburated, but don't take my word on it) its more legal that for drinking
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

i. myself have made some great home brew. Welches grape juice mixed with cranberry juice makes a great tasting combo. Yeast and sugar and in four to five days, killer stuff. I use a big garbage bag with room for expansion, as a lid. Just tie it gently around the top of the bucket with string. It will inflate like a hot air balloon so you will know it is working.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    i. myself have made some great home brew. Welches grape juice mixed with cranberry juice makes a great tasting combo. Yeast and sugar and in four to five days, killer stuff. I use a big garbage bag with room for expansion, as a lid. Just tie it gently around the top of the bucket with string. It will inflate like a hot air balloon so you will know it is working.
    That is an old tried and true method from over in the sandbox.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Walk-in, it is also time tested out in the alaska bush. When you work in some of the places I have, you need to improvise too. I think I also threw in a can of mixed fruit in to spice up the taste a little too. Good stuff.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Not that I know anything about it, but make sure you use silver solder on your joints and not plumber's lead solder....lead be bad for you....oh yeah..that's bio fuel.
    Almost all plumbers solder is lead free. Has been for years. You can still buy 50/50 but is getting pretty rare
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    if you make it to burn in your car (I think the car has to be carburated, but don't take my word on it) its more legal that for drinking

You still need a license, no matter how you're operating the still. Without a license, you're only allowed to own a 1 gallon still and use it for water only. EVERYTHING else requires a license. Even distilling oils from plants.

There is a book about building stills that has some very good info on the different types and sizes. It's called " The Art Of Still Building or How To Meet Your Local Sheriff ". There is more to know than just putting a copper coil in the top of a cook pot. If you are going to burn this you need to get the concentration as close to 190 proof as you can get. This requires a refractory type still that boils off the alcohol with as little water content as possible. Somewhere around 190/192 proof is about as high as you can get using a still. The last 4% to 5% is very difficult to get out. You do need to get a good book as making a quality still is definately more complicated than you might imagine. I, of course, have never done anything like this so all my info was from books like the one mentioned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast