Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recall board of game, make it elected

Default Recall board of game, make it elected

As we ellect by ballot the assembly, school board, mayor, judges, fire chief and many other positions what are the opinions about electing the boardf game directly by ballot. This way we can handle it the good old democratic way when they do somthing we disagree with we remember it and do not vote for them again. This year many things the board came up with people do not agree. Lets change it! Lets change the board into a position where they have to campaign and convince us to vote for them. Granted they are appointed by the governor but i believe we would get alot better board if they had to campaign, debate and convince us of giving them our vote. I sure would have liked to have heard a debate over the Nelchina heard before i would have cast my vote! Just an idea, it works for every other position why not the one near and dear to many of our hearts and that is our write to hunt and fish in a fair manner for all. My opinion and suggestion. Chef

Thumbs down Numbers

7-10% of the people favor hunting.
    7-10% of the people are anti-hunting.
    The rest can be swayed either way.

If the animal rights activists got together, they could elect enough anti's to the board that we would probably not be hunting and fishing at all.

It does not sound like a valid idea.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default greenies

The only problem with that is that half of Anchorage are bleedin heart liberals and unfortunately they have a strong following up here, are well organized and we would probably end up with some people we REALLY DON'T want on the the BOG. Right now we have a very pro-hunting governor and I believe the BOG is basically made up at this time of biologists who really do have a concern for proper management. Yes, they get it wrong sometimes in many peoples opinion but I think for the most part they are a solid group..
    It's easy for people to look at a controversial decision that affects them directly and to forget of all the good the BOG has done. ie. a progressive wolf control policy.
    If you think going to an election system is the answer just ask yourself how Tony got himself elected. I may be wrong but I bet you didn't vote for him.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
    If you think going to an election system is the answer just ask yourself how Tony got himself elected. I may be wrong but I bet you didn't vote for him.
    because he's a moderate republican (just with a D next to his name)

P.S.
    I think we should delete all posts with liberal bashing because it is truely offensive to me
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    because he's a moderate republican (just with a D next to his name)

P.S.
    I think we should delete all posts with liberal bashing because it is truely offensive to me
    No offense monkey, but liberal bashing shouldn't be a hobby, it should be a full contact sport!

On a more serious note, I don't believe anyone is truly bashing liberals,yet, someone just pointed out that Anchorage has a lot (too many, imho) liberals!

Tim

Default game board

One liberal is to many, but that is my opinion! I hear peoples concern, and of course i support and campaigned for our current governor. However i still believe in the election proscess. I think that STATE wide we have more conservative hunters then people might think. Granted subsistance and wolf killing might be significantly divided, but i think over all we have far more then 7 percent of our state supporting hunting. Regardless of the persons political party. There are probably a few liberal democrat hunters out there also. That is why you have an election to get a total mix. Each canidiate would have to convince us for there vote. They would have to have a live debate, get endorsed by groups and follow the normal democratic procedure. It works for everything else, why not here? Granted we do not always get the person or the bill that we wanted but it is a proven procedure. And we often know where the canidates stand prior to them being appointed and making some ridiculous decisions out of left field! Could go either way with opinions that is why i started the thread. Chef

Chef,
    I disagree. If there are to be any changes to the selection process, then I would like to see the Legislature pass a law establishing realistic and credible qualifications for a person to serve on any board.

Any duly elected governor should have a reasonable opportunity to move their agenda forward by appointing good people to fill key, decision making roles. Alaskas many boards and commissions are just that...key decision/policy making bodies.

I agree that there is currently too much room for otherwise un or underqualified cronies to sit on these boards but making them elected positions would open a can-o-worms I don't think we want AND as I understand would require an amendment to our state constitution, which is why I feel making one's bonafides a matter of law adds the necessary chlorine to the applicant pool.....

Default Gotta say No Voting

Isn't this the same group who rails against "ballot box biology"???
    We vote for the Legislature and Governor to represent us, let's let them do it. Pure Democracy is only guaranteed to make 50% plus 1 of the people who voted happy. Not sure I want to go down that road.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
    The only problem with that is that half of Anchorage are bleedin heart liberals and unfortunately they have a strong following up here, are well organized and we would probably end up with some people we REALLY DON'T want on the the BOG. Right now we have a very pro-hunting governor and I believe the BOG is basically made up at this time of biologists who really do have a concern for proper management. Yes, they get it wrong sometimes in many peoples opinion but I think for the most part they are a solid group..
    It's easy for people to look at a controversial decision that affects them directly and to forget of all the good the BOG has done. ie. a progressive wolf control policy.
    Some of the board members have degree's in Wildlife Management, so I guess you could assume that some of them have some biological training. Doesn't make them right or competent however. The two on the board that are worth anything in my opinion, have no formal wildlife experience other than being avid hunters. The position is a political appointment with a mandate slanted to the desires of the Govenor in power at the time. And this is why we have the mess we have.

This is how it's done;

"The committee interviewed nine of Governor Murkowski's appointees, both by teleconference and in person. For the seats on the Board of Fish we forwarded xxxx and xxx to the full legislature. For seats on the Board of Game we interviewed and forwarded xxx, xxxx, and xxxx. We also interviewed xxxx for the position of Commissioner of Fish and Game, xxxx for Commissioner of DEC, and xxxx a seat on the Commercial Fisheries Entry Commission. These appointees must now be confirmed by a vote of the full legislature."

"Board member xxxx of xxxx said he had a mandate from the governor when he was appointed to make decisions that would renew the faith of the villagers in the management process."

So, how do you improve the makeup? I would not advocate them being elected for all the reasons posted by the others here, but it does need fixing.

Kurt

Question Are You Willing To Get Involved?

Itís interesting that this subject came up today. In my car pool to Anchorage, I was talking this same issue with a guy who was on the local Mat-Su Fish and Game advisory Board. After 5 years he quit because of the inability of hunters to get involved at the local level.

These advisory boards is where the rubber meets the road. He told me that if the local biologist and the advisory board agreed that it was a good proposal, 9 times out of 10, the full board would accept the proposal. The local advisory boards are elected local people. He said that if you showed up with ten of your buddies in January, self nominated your self, the your buddies vote, you are on the 12 member local board.
    He said to me that the problem now is that the anti-hunting crowd has figured this out and is starting to get elected to these local advisory boards.

How involved are you willing to get? Are you willing to give up every other Wednesday night for board meetings and do the research necessary to make a decision?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Not So Fast

If these become elected positions what would insure that the elected parties would know a moose from a wolverine. The election process doesn't assure that people are qualified. Look at Hillary she wasn't qualified to be President but she served 2 terms and is going back for seconds. Money settles elections and as hunters we tend to support our agend less financially and at the ballot box than antis. If the antis elected a BOG of anti-hunters they could really sabotage the works. It seems to me that while all the BOG changes aren't the best for everyone they seem to be trying to improve overall quality and quantity and given a chance they might suprise us. Alaska is a large state and the management of all the widlife and the different peoples rights becomes very confusing. Every-one wants THEIR share of the pie first.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Thumbs up

There are Constitutional mandates the BOG follows. Not saying all bases are covered though. It would help if Alaska had seperate BOG and BOF commissioners, that idea scares the hell out of the "career ADF&G".

Too funny -- you all think we (the people) actually have a say in the government of Alaska. The oil, timber, mineral, commercial fishing, etc. give our elected officials their marching orders regardless if the are democrat or republican. Every so often we get to cast a vote in a superficial ritual called an election.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskariverrat View Post
    Too funny -- you all think we (the people) actually have a say in the government of Alaska. The oil, timber, mineral, commercial fishing, etc. give our elected officials their marching orders regardless if the are democrat or republican. Every so often we get to cast a vote in a superficial ritual called an election.
    Living in other states such as Missouri and North Carolina, we Alaskans have mush more say in our state government than most other states.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Wink Watch What You Wish For!

Some of the folks that stated that an election is not the way to go with the BOG are right. In my home state on Long Island where I live we have a three month archery season alone. The state is buying up land that can be used for hunting in a place that is rapidly being developed! Our new Gov. Spitzer, just appointed an anti sportsman as the head of the DEC, = your F&G. In Alaska hunting has been a way of life, a life that MANY today would like to see ended! A kind letter in support to the BOG when a good decision is made will go a long way! Think about it who would you lisiten to if you were on the board, a crackpot, or a kind person who was firmly grounded in the facts? As hunters and outdoorsman we had better get with the program or we may find ourselves out of places to hunt that we take for granted?
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default statutes on BOG

http://www.touchngo.com/lglcntr/akstats/Statutes/Title16/Chapter05/Section221.htm

"The governor shall appoint each member on the basis of interest in public affairs, good judgment, knowledge, and ability in the field of action of the board, and with a view to providing diversity of interest and points of view in the membership."

That line above concerning 'diversity of interest and points of view in the the membership' has clearly not been happening. Often the Board is 'stacked' by whatever governor comes into power.

The problem with allowing governors to move their agenda forward is that prudent wildlife management is a long-term process. Science is changing overnight after an election. Fish and Game is told to move one way, then four years later they may be told to move another way. Overall, this hurts management. The BOG will never please all hunters no matter who is on the Board. Listen in sometime on gavel to gavel online to the BOG confirmation hearings. It's really something. If you don't support predator control, or if you even question some aspects of Intensive Management, you're not going to be confirmed these days. Remember that guy who logged on here a while back and said he'd lobby for you before the Board of Game for pay? That he used to work for Boards Support and knew many of the Board members personally and could have lunches and private meetings with them to push your proposal? Remember when Pete Buist refused to kowtow to Governor Murkowski on an issue, and how he wasn't reappointed? We do have problems with the process. It's getting worse. While a duly elected governor should have powers to push his or her agenda, I am not sure that with wildlife management that it's such a good thing inre Board appointees, and the pressure put on board members.

For a period of time, way back, there was a sorta "Peer Review Process". Locals, Advisory Board Members and hunters were given the opportunity to express their perceptions of the BOG Members Actions. It was all for eye wash and never amounted to change. The bottom line is, you have to elect the governor you want to set the stage.

Bushrat,

I completely agree, very well stated. Game management is a long term endeavor that cries out for consistency with goals that cannot be met on a political football field. The problem is how do you make Fish and Game independent, and who/or what would appoint the board.

Kurt

Ps, did you ever get my email?

Default Kurt...

...I never did receive a reply from you via email. Try again or pm me; maybe you have the wrong addy. And kudos btw for following up on things by getting the BOG audio archives. They say a lot, fo sure.

Default Constitution

That does not mean anything. The constitution of every state is violated with statute after statute of garbage as is the federal constitution on a daily basis. What makes you think this would be any different?

Quote Originally Posted by DEDWUF View Post
    There are Constitutional mandates the BOG follows. Not saying all bases are covered though. It would help if Alaska had seperate BOG and BOF commissioners, that idea scares the hell out of the "career ADF&G".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast