Thread: Guide/Lodge for June trip

Default Guide/Lodge for June trip

My friend and I are planning a early June trip from Michigan for salmon and possible halibut fishing. I have done the search for guides and lodging, but wanted to get a few other opinions. First, where are the better parts of the state for salmon/halibut fishing? I have looked into the Kenai and Kodiak areas, but not really too much on the other parts of the state. What is the best way of getting around from Anchorage, renting a car, or taking a charter flight?
    What places would you recommend for lodging and fishing combos? Would prefer to do a 4 or 5 day fishing trip with maybe one day as sight seeing or traveling around. Any help would be much appreciated!

My wife and I have used Piscatorial Pursuits several times in the past. They offer trips on the Kenai Penninsula, ie; Seward combos, Kasilof salmon, and Kenai salmon. You fish with the owner on the Kasilof, which is a great river to fish. Rent a car and make the drive down the penninsula. Takes around 3 hours to get down the penninsula, but it goes by like a flash, some of the most beautiful scenery you will ever come across. Good luck, book early!!!

wdeaton, If it was me, I would choose a specific region in Alaska. For example, Kodiak, Southeast, South Central and then start narrowing down choices. If it was me, I would try to find a place where you can do saltwater and freshwater. Do the ocean thing for a few days and then take a break and go bank fishing on a small river when the ocean is too rough. It can get overwhelming just looking at tons of lodges and guides on the internet, so that's why I would pick a region. Your question should really be "What specific species do I want to catch?" Ocean Chinook (all season) River Chinooks (early season) Reds (mid season) Silvers (late season). Good luck and feel free to send me a PM.

Thanks for the responses so far, it is very overwhelming looking at all the info on here. I have narrowed the area to the Kenai area, as it seems the easiest to get to from Michigan. I know that also means likely the busiest, but we only have 7 days that we can be gone, and I want to maximize the amount of time spent on the water. Would love to go halibut a day or two, and spend the rest on the river for salmon. The places that have been recommended the most it seems are Jimmie Jack's, Kenai Cache, and Piscatorial Pursuits. Any infor on them or any other recommendations? Any places in the Kenai that you would stay away from? Thanks!

Troutfitters in Cooper landing is another good one.

Smile Unsure, always ask for references!

wdeaton ... please feel free to drop us a note or give us a call and we'd be happy to provide you with some references, both from afar and from the local area that regularly fish with us as well. For full-time Kasilof guides (don't flip-flop rivers or to salt and fish from start of salmon season to the end), myself and our second boat are the two most experienced on the river ... almost 45 years between the two of us

I highly recomend Bob Ball. give him a call pronto. All the guides book up early. You will have a balll with Mr. Ball.