Thread: 'Deer'end review/wifes first deer(s)

Default 'Deer'end review/wifes first deer(s)

Well finally have a bit of time to give our year end review and brag the wife up. Our deer season was a bit odd this year, typically the first 2 weeks produce the best bucks for us, more meat later. This year early was VERY slow, limited rut activity in the daylight and just tough hunting. Later on it was pretty good and folks got some lunkers here. Then the snow hit and made it tough to get anywhere and essentially made it a giant road hunt. All in all we got some good deer, slower than normal but fun none the less. The South End of POW produced some real nice deer this year, I saw LOTS of big boys coming back with the loggers on the weekends. Northend was way slow.

We were blessed this year with quite a few forum members and lots of kids for deer season which was awesome. We have decided this is going to be our new focus for deer season as it was neat to watch the kids enjoy the outdoors with their dads and be SO pumped to see deer and be a part of everything.

As of today12/5 the snow is melting finally and the deer are moving like crazy. Saw a buck just outside of town with 1 antler already though which seems early but the snow probably didn't help.

Wifes deer - well I told the wife she should try to get a deer this year for the wall. She seemed pumped by the idea so we waited till the tail end of season and tried to make it happen. Under normal circumstances I don't much care for beach hunting as a 'hunt' but with the snow we had it was a logical choice for us, I couldn't see her trudging up miles of logging roads in 3 feet of snow. Have boat will travel, off to West Side.

We went out for a morning with two older local fellas and spotted a buck bedded on the beach. We got dropped off and the wife made a nice 158 yard shot and it never twitched. After the shot she was shaking like crazy and says "Holy $#@& I killed it!". Nice forkie, not a wall hanger but the situation was perfect.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Nice, Mike. For your wife's first deer it should be a wall hanger.

Well Dean I have created a monster! She decided to give it one more go on the 3rd and we decided to head out on the boat again instead of pavement hunt. We were watching two does feeding and I peeked into the timber and spotted what appeared to be a potential wall hanger nibbling on some trees. I dropped off the wife and my two derelict buddies who are freeloading here for the month of December and they walked into a timber patch with a commanding view of where we had scoped it. I didn't hear any shots but I saw them walking down the beach and headed in. Apparently they found it! 3X3 with eyegaurds and 18" wide! I will put this one on the wall for her ;-)
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

I was pretty happy too! This was her first hunting in 12 years I was excited she is getting into it again.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

That's really nice. Don't plan that one for the wall hanger either yet, she's on a roll and there is 3 weeks left in the season.

I know, good thing she had to go to Anchorage to work for the rest of December! Horns are popping off now anyway and we're pretty meated up. I donated 2 of mine to our friends in Anchorage who are battling cancer right now (she's only 34 with 2 young kids) so this makes 4 in the freezer for the Warner clan!
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    I know, good thing she had to go to Anchorage to work for the rest of December!
    I don't know why she stays with you

Good job Sarah.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Nice deer. Maybe we'll get to meet Sarah next year

Awesome to see Gooch!!! Had a awesome time down there and it was a ball to hangout with you and Sarah. Too much fun. Must get back down that way again, with maybe just a touch less snow next time.

I primarily hunt whitetails. Those deer look pretty chunky. I was wondering what a "big" buck there would weigh field dressed? In WV and NC where I hunt 175 is good and 200 is like a 30" rainbow. They happen but not as often as people claim. Very nice looking deer. Good job.

Congrats, Thats a heck of a deer for sure.. I think they are all nice IMO.. but hey.. who am I..

Congrats

Hoytguy

Well done to the Mrs!
    Thx for sharing pics and stories...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Really a cool story gooch,

your wife gettin' all shaky over taking bucks,with one shot,...

Now, That Girl, is a JEWEL

Congrats to both of you, nice bucks, both of em
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Awesome!!!!!! Franco is going to be jealous.... Spoke him today and he is itching to get out and hunt deer
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    I donated 2 of mine to our friends in Anchorage who are battling cancer right now (she's only 34 with 2 young kids) so this makes 4 in the freezer for the Warner clan!
    Thanks again for the meat! Thale is just starting to eat some solid foods...last night I gave him a taste test between sweet taters and venison...he chose venison 4 out of 4 times! Only 8 months old and he's already hooked. We're already making plans to come down next year to refill the freezer.

Tell Sarah nice work! We didn't know she got a second one!