Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Animal wounds

Default Animal wounds

Didn't want to hijack the thread so I figured I start a new one to see if anyone has further stories to share. BRWNBR's recent thread on Kodiak deer talked about a previouslly wounded animal that they got. Another poster commented on the same type of phenomena.

What I'm interested in hearing is other stories about wounded animals that folks have harvested. Not specific to gun wounds, or arrow for that matter, but natural wounds. Fifteen or so years ago I shot a bull moose that had been in some serious fights. When we were hanging the meat I noticed that he had been gored in the ribs in a fight, or at least that's what I assumed happened. Two of his ribs were broken and they had fused together. It looked to be an old wound, at least from the previous year's rut. A griz we shot a couple years ago had a severe abscess in his front tooth that ate the bone away all the way through the nasal cavity.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

While growing up in Michigan, I processed deer in the fall. While we saw our share of deer with old injuries, two stick in my mind the best. I remember two different deer, both does that had old broadheads inside. One was lodged between two vertebrae, the other was in a shoulder blade. Both broadheads were completely encapsulated with pus filled scar tissue. It amazes me how tough/resilient deer are and what they are able to do after being shot. Truely survival of the fittest!

Shot and healed Caribou are not that uncommon, I come across them now and then.

Couple previously shot Brown Bears too.

Ive crossed paths with those of swollen knees and ankles, with advanced Brucilloucious, "Wolf bait" we call 'em, and sure enough, they dont last long out there.
    Scars on the face/neck are very common, Seals with Polar Bear bites and claw slashes, as well as 1/2 flippers are around now and then too.
    Broken legs, broken ribs, gashes and such all healed and in healthy when I shot them kinda animals.

I couldn't count the Salmon and other fish I have caught with healed wounds too.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

The Bull Moose a friend shot this year, had a large wound on his rear leg that was mostly healed, looked like a possible wolf bite.

Wife's Black Bear, had a huge cut across his eye, was through the cornea as well, Sure he would have been blind in that eye when it healed.

On this Grizzly skull. You can see a open hole near the right eye, looks to be made by a tooth.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

That grizzly skull is cool!

I was on a moose kill in November that had a broadhead wound. Somebody tried to Texas heart shoot this cow and the broadhead was healed over on the outside of the ribs in the front shoulder. Some of the shaft was still embeded in the pelvis. My daughters moose this year also had some scarring on the hind quarters by the knees that looked like something was tearing away at it. They were healed over, but no hair growing off of the scars and they were hardened over.

I shot a nice bull caribou a couple years back that was very sickly. I'm presuming he got beat up pretty good by another bull and judging from the hole in his hind quarter, it looks like he took a horn in the butt and it got badly infected. All of the meat up to the front quarters had a green slime between the muscles and the backstraps were about a half dollar in thickness. I don't think he would have survived the winter.

That big arse Caribou I killed this year, had a good chunk of hide missing from his posterior. To me, it looked like a wolf had attempted to hamstring him. Lucky for me, the Caribou won that battle.

I took a Kodiak brown bear that was aged at 23 years old. It's jaw had been broken sometime in life, which must have made for an ornery disposition the rest of its life.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I took a three legged Mt. Goat last year. It was getting around just fine and the front leg that was missing was a leather stump. I had no idea it was 3 legged until I walked up on it. 6.5 yr old goat and I think it had been that way for a long time. It was healthy and well. In fact the opposite front quarter was huge!

Polar Bear claw marks well healed on a 800lb Oogruk
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by J in AK View Post
    That big arse Caribou I killed this year, had a good chunk of hide missing from his posterior. To me, it looked like a wolf had attempted to hamstring him. Lucky for me, the Caribou won that battle.

I took a Kodiak brown bear that was aged at 23 years old. It's jaw had been broken sometime in life, which must have made for an ornery disposition the rest of its life.
    Now that bear skull is interesting! Would be reallly cool to find out how long he lived with that broken jaw.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Birth starts a very tuff job of just staying alive for one and all.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I took a three legged white-tail many years ago and knew of at least two others in the area in the next couple years. Attributed it to car collisions or coyotes given the area we were in.

He doesn't post here much anymore but I believe Brent took a three legged bear down on Turnagin Arm a couple years ago. I saw a moose dressed out last year that had birdshot that had migrated to his joints from an apparently old and well healed shotgun blast.

Those bear skull pics are really interesting...holes, broken jaws. I also wonder how old that injury was and if it effected the bears eating ability.

This last moose season in the 20a sub unit we put a stalk on a mid 40's bull he was to small to take. We went back the next day to see if he was still there and see if a bigger bull was in his area. that day he was limping really hard on his hind legs. His left rear leg had been injured but he seemed to be getting around fairly decent.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=70.243554,-148.401040

Default Old boar

This very old black bear boar had a 45 deg. dog leg between his hind knee and ankle. His snout had been broken and left very crooked. Not to mention the condition of his teeth. Old animals are much harder to skin and this one was truly the toughest black bear skinning job I have ever done.

I trapped a beaver one time with no front feet, it originally looked like it was born without them but after skinning it they were definitely scarred over. Killed a caribou with a bullet healed in the bone below the Knee with a big bone growth around it. Blackie in the sound with bird shot under his skin. The damage brown bears survive is awesome to say the least.

I shot a brown bear in the late 80's over in the Russian Far-east on a head-on charge. He was old with a broken jaw that was very infected, in a very BAD mood. The trappers I was with figured he had had a run in with another bear or an Amur Tiger.
    Goo

I harvested an nice 9 point buck one year with my .44 Mag. Contender. When field dressing it I found out it had a broken front leg. The autopsy at home reveled my 2 shots through both sides of the in the chest. As my son started to take the lessor meat off of the leg a 240 grain .44 bullet fell out of the right front knee joint. Someone had shot it with a .44 at least a year ago as the wound was completely healed around the bullet.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I shot a moose one year that had a 30 cal bullet from the previous year just under the hide. The shot from the year before had broken the rib and collapsed the lung. When we were cleaning it we nnoticed the the rib had completely healed and fused to the still collapsed and shriveled up lung.

Had a whitetail deer once that looked to be recovering from a pass through wound on its neck. The wound appeared to be a bullet wound that was healing, but could not have been more than several days old--possibly a week old. Upon caping the deer we discovered a 4 blade broadhead resting in the muscle tissue of its neck that was entirely covered in a cartilage like growth. The hide was scarred with an X from the inside, but you couldn't see the entry wound from the outside. The broadhead had been there for a while--certainly a year or more. Apparently deer only have three lives as a .270 to the lungs folded him up...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I was working for a taxidermist back when i lived in michigan and i was skinning out a black bear skull i guy shot with his rifle in canada. As i was skinning around its right eye i sliced my finger wide open on something. I got it skined a little farther and found a broadhead the tip just sticking out right below its eye. The shot must have went in just behind and below its ear. It had been in there atleast a year. Looked like he could see fine but i bet it didnt fell good.

This year i harvested an elk in Idaho that was shot in a previous year in the front left quarter. i didnt know it till i was skinning him and i found a huge puss pocket and the bullet from when he was shot. He didnt limp at all and showed no sign that he was previously injured, and the wound (other than the puss pocket and bullet that was still in there) healed up completely.

I shot a moose in Berners Bay that had ripped up hide around the antler bases. the wound was festering so bad it was vivid green across the skull cap and there was a small hole in the skull. didn't look to be a bullet wound, just fighting scars. had to cook him real slow and long to find any tenderness but the flavor was good

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast