Thread: Skiff Plans

Default Skiff Plans

So I was planning to build an 18' Tolman skiff for my winter project, but I think it's simply more boat than I need right now. What I really want is a lighter, downsized version for drifting rivers, rowing across lakes, and "gunkholing" around Kachemak Bay. Something two people can throw on a truck rack or drag up the beach. I've got an 18hp tiller steer motor I'd like to use. Here's a plan I found that suits me. Any thoughts?
    http://bateau.com/studyplans/FS14_study.htm?prod=FS14
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

A friend built a "dynamite" Payson diablo and has gotten a tremendous amount of use and abuse out of it powered with a 15hp engine. The plans are in the book Build the new Instant Boats.

http://www.instantboats.com/diablo.htm

Not sure how heavy the skiff is, but might be just what you are looking for.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Thanks for the link, Paul! What about Superply? Tolman endorses it, anyone have experience?
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

At one time I was on a path to build a Tolman, too. My brother and I both thought that it would be a great way to spend some time and to be able to have a boat with more character. About four years ago I had the epiphany that I would actually like to spend my time on the water and not spend a bunch of time in the garage, building a boat. Any boat. I purchased a Zodiac and used it (a lot) to do the exploring that was important to me. It has far more versatility and portability than just about any other boat and I cannot believe that there are any wooden boats able to match its safety in a variety of different waters.
    My strong recommendation is to pick up a second job that would account for the number of hours that you will spend on that boat. Put that money towards a rubber boat that can fulfill your boating needs and don't look back. Get out there and enjoy yourself if it is the water that is calling. Life is TOO SHORT!
    We can debate the merits of different boats all day long and never build one to do everything. My priorities were safety, versatility, efficiency and portability. A MK III Futura was what got me into boating. Now I have a 26ft Aluminum cuddy with a flush pottie, next I want to get...

Be careful going down this boating road--it'll bite 'ya!!!

Good luck!

I'd go with marine ply, you can never upgrade your wood and in the big scheme of things paying a little bit more for the wood is well worth it. I don't know what is available in marine ply down your way, it wouldn't be a bad idea to email Renn Tolman to see what's available in Homer as the availability of marine ply seems to vary year to year. Personally I didn't care for the marine ply I got from SBS, which I believe is fir. The problem is it splinters when you cut it, sucks up alot of epoxy and requires alot more sanding than meranti or better yet okume.

It's been years since I've read the diablo design so I don't recall if the design calls for glassing the hull inside and out, but I would highly recomend going with at least 6 oz cloth inside and out, and better yet 10 oz on the outside to protect the wood from the glass being compromised and water getting in. Also I believe the diablo calls for polyester resin, use epoxy as it does a much better job of keeping the water away from the wood. If you use polyester you'll save a couple bucks up front, but you are almost guranteed to get water logged wood in the future.

One thing I've learned from building a boat is that it takes the same amount of labor to build with good long lasting materials as it does to use questionable inexpensive materials. Don't dismiss the value of your labor, nor the labor that will be required in the future to repair/replace something you should take the time and $ to do right in the first place.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Thanks iceking, I am actually upgrading from a 14' Achilles, lol. Yes, it is safe, but it handles like a rubber duckie.
    Paul, I think I will get a quote from sbs for hardwood marine ply, they stock fir. Likely will go with the bateau, I dont like
    the flat bottom and multiple chines on the diablo, kinda weird. Thanks tons for the input!

Check out Glen L marine, they have some great plans.

Quote Originally Posted by 5akman View Post
    Check out Glen L marine, they have some great plans.
    Was checking out their epoxy prices, 20% higher than Gear Shed in Homer! Holy Schmoly! On a side note, got
    my plywood today, will make dust soon- stay tuned!

Well, she's on the jig, soon as someone loans me a thousand bucks I can finish her up....hello?
    Hey, where'd everybody go?

Looking good so far.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Some progress.....little more fairing, she'll about be ready for paint. Thinking about adding an inwale, the sheer looks a little plain jane to me. Thinking polyurethane porch paint....it's about a quarter the price of marine, and the boat's not going to live in the water....any thoughts?

Looking forward to hearing what you think of her once she gets on the water. Looks Great!
    I have built a boat out of Dynamite Pasons book, it was a great project for dad and I to do together when I was young.
    Anywho, lets see some dead critters on the deck!
    BK