Thread: Got lunch?

Default Got lunch?

Went out to diamond around 1:00 and fish in my old hole that a chopped last week (I make a big hole with an axe, and it slowly shrinks through out the year is it freezes back over) and hooked one but couldn't seal the deal, I was fishing a 1/3 night crawler on a No 6 hook tipped the hook with a egg. After a while I head over to the other side of the lake and do out to the point of this one peninsula that has a drop off right off the point. well, after chopping for 5 minutes, I hit rocks....well, I was at the wrong peninsula, this one is only about a foot deep for 50 yards out from the point. so I head over to the next one and start chopping, and about 5 minutes after I get my hole chopped (which was hard, cause before I got all the ice real this on all sides I poked a little hole in the the ice, and the hole filled with water) I was looking into the hole and I see a fish come take my hook. I though I saw it swallow it (it was a keeper) I was wrong, i got its head out of the water and it came off, so I dropped my hook back down fast (still had the bait on it) and a different one bit and I got it. a good size one, perfect for lunch. after that I didn't catch anything. a guy and his little kid on snow machines stopped and we talked for a minute, then he left and I decided I would head home, I really only wanted one fish anyway, enough to eat.

I cleaned it and then seasoned the inside with lemon pepper and seasoning salt, then filled with onions, the out side was covered in Old bay seasoning and johonnys seasoning salt and fried in butter in a cast iron pan. sure was good!
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Sounds like a good time. Wish I had the amount of free time you have.

the advantage to being home schooled. plus there is no work to do on the farm
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

FFG.....you ever looked into getting an auger? Chopping holes in the ice is a PITA! I would rather hand auger through 30" of ice with a Mora Strikemaster than cut through 6" with an axe.

Sounds like some good eating. Straight from the ice to the pan is the way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffpappy View Post
    FFG.....you ever looked into getting an auger? Chopping holes in the ice is a PITA! I would rather hand auger through 30" of ice with a Mora Strikemaster than cut through 6" with an axe.

Sounds like some good eating. Straight from the ice to the pan is the way to do it.

No kidding, and its dangerous (not trying to sound like mama) but that sounds high risk, a steel blade on slick ice. Check craigslist often, I see hand augers all the time on there for under 40 bucks. I bet you could even swap out a couple hours labor for one pretty easy.

How bout I give you one in exchange for a tip on where to look for some Hares.

I got a hand auger, but I cut a big hole with an axe (I got a system down to a T) and as it freezes over I re chop the holes, they keep getting smaller and smaller, I go fishing every sunday after church, typically, and after a few weeks as longs as it not redicusly cold, they are getting small enough to warrant the chopping a now hole, plus, by that time, the spot I'm fishing is typicaly fished out by my standards, so I move out to the other side of the lake and do the whole process over, I can chop though 16 inches in a matter of minutes. and then I don't have to pack the auger for a half mile the axe goes on my belt and I stick a stern matches a bag of worms and eggs and a few extra hooks, and the fish in pole in a small bag. works good and then I don;t ever feel loaded down and typically go farther out on the lake to places that don't typically get fished. After we get 2+ feet of ice I use the auger, cause you run out of room to swing an axe past that.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    I got a hand auger, but I cut a big hole with an axe (I got a system down to a T) and as it freezes over I re chop the holes, they keep getting smaller and smaller, I go fishing every sunday after church, typically, and after a few weeks as longs as it not redicusly cold, they are getting small enough to warrant the chopping a now hole, plus, by that time, the spot I'm fishing is typicaly fished out by my standards, so I move out to the other side of the lake and do the whole process over, I can chop though 16 inches in a matter of minutes. and then I don't have to pack the auger for a half mile the axe goes on my belt and I stick a stern matches a bag of worms and eggs and a few extra hooks, and the fish in pole in a small bag. works good and then I don;t ever feel loaded down and typically go farther out on the lake to places that don't typically get fished. After we get 2+ feet of ice I use the auger, cause you run out of room to swing an axe past that.
    Sounds like you've got a system that works for you.....if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I sure would like to watch you cut your initial hole with that axe, as you've evidently got a lot of experience doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffpappy View Post
    Sounds like you've got a system that works for you.....if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I sure would like to watch you cut your initial hole with that axe, as you've evidently got a lot of experience doing it.
    I can take a few pictures next time.