Thread: Nunivak Island Muskox

Default Nunivak Island Muskox

I am looking for Transporter information on Nunivak Island Muskox hunt. My wife drew a tag and I am running a little behind trying to get things scheduled.

thanks,

Scooter

Try calling Abe David. He did a good job getting me in the right area to bag a big one with my bow. His number is 827-8512. He might end up crowding you in on top of other hunters that he is expecting to leave, so be prepared for that. It took me three tries to get out to Mekoryuk because of weather and the volcano, but I finally got it done in March.

Good luck!!!

Another satisfied hunter that went with Abe, got my ox in 2010 with him. Fantastic guy and great family.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I went with Charlie Spud. Nothing fancy but he did provided everything I really needed. Sorry I no longer have his contact info.

Shouldnt you be a wrestling practice..

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Try calling Abe David. He did a good job getting me in the right area to bag a big one with my bow. His number is 827-8512. He might end up crowding you in on top of other hunters that he is expecting to leave, so be prepared for that. It took me three tries to get out to Mekoryuk because of weather and the volcano, but I finally got it done in March.

Good luck!!!
    We too went with Abe David just this fall. Highly recommended.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Tim, did he charge the same for the fall hunt that he does for the spring? Mine was $3K or $3.5K (can't remember) for the transporter fee and $100 for a land use permit.

I have been with Charlie Spud twice and worked out great both times.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Tim, did he charge the same for the fall hunt that he does for the spring? Mine was $3K or $3.5K (can't remember) for the transporter fee and $100 for a land use permit.
    Yes, it was the same for us.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

My understanding is that Charlie Spud is no longer in business.

My sister-in-law hunted with Abe David last year. The trip report I posted for her is here==> http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...hlight=nunivak

I want to say it cost $3500, but since I wasn't writing the check this time.... don't quote me on it..
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Here's my trip report as well, I figured I would post it since I left a lot of information out there including flight options, and some other tips. Make sure you are dressed warm when you get into Mekoryuk, it's a bit of a ride to get to the village. I wasn't dressed well and I got real lucky that it wasn't very cold or blowing out. Also, a large hockey bag worked perfect for the hide and horns.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...light=mekoryuk

The pictures aren't showing up, so here are a couple...

I'll be out hunting with James Whitman come February. A good friend and his wife both took ox with him in 09' and highly recommended him, so I feel comfortable. He is a transporter. Going rate is $3,000. He's spending most of the winter in Anchorage until closer to hunting season. His home phone is 827-8620. If it doesn't give you a forwarding number let me know and I'll dig out his cell number.

I received a letter from Fred Don, who is a guide. He's charging $5,000 for a guided hunt. Phone 827-8114 or 522-2041. I've read good things about him in the past.

Ed Shavings and Ishmil Smith have both been talked about on the Forum in the past but I don't know whether they are transporters or guides.

Good advice Jerod. I made the mistake of not dressing warm enough on the plane and froze my tail off in Abe's sled on the ride to his place. Man I really like that picture of the dead ox and his buddy hanging right there ~ great picture!

Whomever you choose to go with, bring some goodies. Folks in the village really appreciate fresh fruit and veggies. I brought a couple jars of smoked copper river sockeye.

Enjoy the trip, there's nothing else like it.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am