Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Catch-and-Release Deformed Fish Pics

Default Catch-and-Release Deformed Fish Pics

Hey folks,

We're working on a catch-and-release sport fishing page, and I need some pics to illustrate the process.

1. Close-up of a rainbow with a deformed mouth from hook damage.

2. Fish in a rubberized landing net (those new nets-)

Thanks!

-Mike
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 12-05-2011 at 20:50.
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

All taken by Julie Meka, USGS, on, if memory serves, the Naknek:

Attachment 55529

Also see here: http://www.overmywaders.com/cblog/in...-the-ADFG.html

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Attachment 55530

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Attachment 55531

Oops! I should have mentioned that the pics need to be ones we can legally publish here. In most cases this means they need to be the property of the poster.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Julie Meka: jmeka@azgfd.gov

Contact Ms. Meka for permission. She gave me permission to use.

Also, the photos were taken on the Alagnak.

Picture 004.jpgHere is a picture of my son with a rainbow I caught on the Russian last summer. I'm sure you can crop out and zoom in on the deformed/wounded mouth.

Here is fish from Rainbow Alley on the Kenai. It was hanging out with its left side tight to the bank under a small group of reds. The reds moved out of the pocket of water after my first hookup. I then noticed there was still a fish in the pocket of water. This rainbow smashed a "sockeye orange" fly, and was hooked into the left side of the upper jaw. The right side of the lower jaw was perfectly fine. The right side of the upper jaw had a few scars on it. The lower jaw on the left side was broken at the point of my index finger. The jaw felt like it was no longer connected to the joint. You can see at least four scars on the upper left jaw, and an unknown number at the corner of the mouth.

Since I was fishing for reds I was using a strong leader and an 8wt rod. The fish gave up quickly in the fast current.

You have my permission to use my photo for educational purposes.

kenaiBowmouth.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Oops! I should have mentioned that the pics need to be ones we can legally publish here. In most cases this means they need to be the property of the poster.

-Mike
    I thought everything posted here was the property of the forum.... soo confusing..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    I thought everything posted here was the property of the forum.... soo confusing..
    Technically it's all copyrighted, but I always ask permission if I want to use photos elsewhere. And of course that doesn't apply if someone posts somebody else's stuff here...

-Mike

Can you give a little more insight on how the pictures of deformed mouths preaches better catch and release technique? I would think its from the red season, or bait fishing, depending on what section of river you're on. Ripping a hook through any fishes mouth is going to cause damage. Damage is also caused from trout digging up redds.

Quote Originally Posted by bowdy15 View Post
    Can you give a little more insight on how the pictures of deformed mouths preaches better catch and release technique? I would think its from the red season, or bait fishing, depending on what section of river you're on. Ripping a hook through any fishes mouth is going to cause damage. Damage is also caused from trout digging up redds.
    I'm advising folks to avoid using oversized, barbed hooks.

-Mike

I guess I am not sure how you can tell if any of the fish in the picture were caught with a barbed hook or oversized hook. Is there a tattel tell or is it just an assumption that if a fish has damage it must of been caught with a oversize hook or barbed. Not trying to argue just trying to figure it out. Years ago on the Alexander, when it had rainbows, us guides would preach about catch and release on all rainbows. We were targeting salmon but caught the occasional trout. When the hook is removed properly and not just ripped out, you couldn't tell that the fish had been caught with a oversized and barbed salmon hook. Because of this I belive removal technique far outweighs try of hook.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    I guess I am not sure how you can tell if any of the fish in the picture were caught with a barbed hook or oversized hook.
    I think that's why I'm confused as well.....

Quote Originally Posted by bowdy15 View Post
    I think that's why I'm confused as well.....
    I think we're missing the point here. It's not an attempt to say this particular fish was abused in a certain way. It's to illustrate the fact that hook damage occurs. And let's not turn this thread into a commentary... I'm just looking for photos. Names dates and places are not relevant.

Mike

IMG_2062.jpg Only input is that if you fish from a boat, don't bring the net into the boat. Hold the net off to the side, incase the fish bails he either goes into the net or back into the river. .02.

Default Mouth damage cause........

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    I'm advising folks to avoid using oversized, barbed hooks.

-Mike
    I have observed as much mouth damage by the line as the hook. Leaders get wraped around mouth parts and seperate tissue from bone and tissue from tissue causing perminant damage.

Quote Originally Posted by TYNMON View Post
    I have observed as much mouth damage by the line as the hook. Leaders get wraped around mouth parts and seperate tissue from bone and tissue from tissue causing perminant damage.
    Valid point, but I think less of an issue than oversized hooks and barbed hooks. I think mortality would be more of an issue with fish wrapping themselves up than injuring their jaws. A lot of gill rakers get mangled due to "death rolls" and swallowed hooks as opposed to the other issues being discussed. I will say a percentage of these fish are undoubtedly injured by these "death rolls" but the majority are caused by other factors including, but not limited to, naturally digging up redds, oversized hooks, barbed hooks, bait, or improper release tactics. It is impossible, and completely illogical no narrow this problem down to one single cause. It's a combination of human and natural causes. What is the solution? Beats me. Thats why we have people with higher educations than myself lol
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast