Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 911

Thread: Are you a sheep hunter? Please get involved!

  1. #1
    Member bushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Now residing in Fairbanks from the bush
    Posts
    4,363

    Default Are you a sheep hunter? Please get involved!

    I'm going to paste in below something going around, if you are in the Fairbanks area and can attend any of these meetings, please do so. Also, this week I hope to start a thread in the game mgmt forum so we can look at and discuss all the sheep proposals before the BOG at the statewide meeting in January, and I hope many of you sheep hunters who don't typically visit that subforum will come down and join us and offer your thoughts.


    Your comments are important. Telling the Advisory Councils and the Board of Game how you feel about preferences for Alaska residents is very critical. There are about twenty statewide sheep proposals trying to get the Board of Game to treat us like other states treat their residents.


    First, the Game sub-committee of the Fairbanks Advisory Committee is meeting this wednesday night, December 7th, starting at 6pm. It will be in the old farmhouse building behind the Fish and Game office on College Road (by the Creamers barn). The primary purpose of the meeting is to go through all of the statewide game proposals that will go before the Board of Game in Anchorage January 13th.

    If you have not attended a sub-committee meeting, it is less formal than the full AC meetings. It is more of a working group, and the purpose is to make a recommendation on the hundred or so Statewide proposals. That recommendation will go before the full AC at it's regular meeting on December 14.

    This is an important meeting. If you have notmhad a chance to look at those proposals, they can be found at the following link:
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...gameboard.main

    You should also be able to get a printed copy of the book at the Fish and
    Game office. There are many proposals being put forth to establish a resident
    preference for game tags, especially sheep tags, plus proposals to limit the
    number of draw tags for non-residents, establish a preference point system for
    draw tags, etc. if you want a voice in this process this meeting would be a good one to attend. If you cannot, at least plan to submit written comments on all of the proposals. They must be submitted at least two weeks prior to
    the BOG meeting in Anchorage.

    The next important meeting is the regular AC
    meeting on the 14th. It is important for two reasons. The first is
    that it is an election meeting. Each year five of the AC seats are up for
    reelection, and this year one of those seats is currently vacant. If you
    are not happy with the direction the AC is going or want to influence what is
    happening with fish and game management, then this is an opportunity to get on the AC or help elect someone you would like to see on the AC. That meeting starts at 7pm in the Alpine Lodge/Hotel

  2. #2

    Default

    Thanks Mark! Looking forward to seeing the results of all of this.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Palmer, ak
    Posts
    473

    Default

    Be very careful with the preference points. They are great for the guys that get in on the ground floor, but once you draw that tag chances of ever drawing it again are SLIM. For the youngsters who are not able to apply yet, their chances diminish every year they don't enter. I moved here from Oregon and there were MANY tags that I would have never drawn in my lifetime!!

  4. #4
    Member mossyhorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Woodland, Washington
    Posts
    866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
    Be very careful with the preference points. They are great for the guys that get in on the ground floor, but once you draw that tag chances of ever drawing it again are SLIM. For the youngsters who are not able to apply yet, their chances diminish every year they don't enter. I moved here from Oregon and there were MANY tags that I would have never drawn in my lifetime!!
    Coming from a state with preference points, I don't like them. They're all fine and dandy if it only takes a few points to draw. But when you have a premier area with only 10 tags and 2000 people want them, then you will never draw that tag unless you started at the beginning. So careful what you wish for.

  5. #5

    Default

    I find it amusing all the proposals for residents getting a jump on the evil non-residents for season start dates.

  6. #6
    Member kahahawai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,443

    Default

    I wish I could be there, I could have if I had planned better, but I will be tied up with something going on here that is work related. I have skimmed thru the proposals that were sheep related and I can say that I do like ALOT of them, don't know how much "Power behind the Punch" we or residents have, Thus why we need to get this (Alaska) Chapter of WSF going, otherwise we are going to be sorry. I care about the future of this species, and I'd like to see my children be able to do it too. It just seems to be a political and money issue all the time, and this seems to be the case....I can go on and on but I'll stop here.

  7. #7
    Member Yellowknife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    803

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    I find it amusing all the proposals for residents getting a jump on the evil non-residents for season start dates.
    Hey, it will raise the resident success rate from the current 23% to... what%? Not sure I feel very strongly one way or the other on those proposals, but considering how many there are, I'd say the concept is popular.

    Yk

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Thanks Mark! Looking forward to seeing the results of all of this.

    HHmmmm if Northway supports this something is up???

  9. #9

    Default

    Don't support anything right now. Need to look through the proposals and see what is being asked.

  10. #10
    Member kahahawai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,443

    Default

    I'll say one thing right now ......NON RESIDENT GUIDES Hate me !!!!

  11. #11
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    I wish I could be there, I could have if I had planned better, but I will be tied up with something going on here that is work related. I have skimmed thru the proposals that were sheep related and I can say that I do like ALOT of them, don't know how much "Power behind the Punch" we or residents have, Thus why we need to get this (Alaska) Chapter of WSF going, otherwise we are going to be sorry. I care about the future of this species, and I'd like to see my children be able to do it too. It just seems to be a political and money issue all the time, and this seems to be the case....I can go on and on but I'll stop here.
    Well lets make it happen!

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    I'll say one thing right now ......NON RESIDENT GUIDES Hate me !!!!

    HAHA....nothing wrong with that.

  13. #13
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    I'll say one thing right now ......NON RESIDENT GUIDES Hate me !!!!
    Does that mean resident guides don't?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

  14. #14
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Props 78-86.... open resident season 5 days early (or some variation of the same) ... I vote no, the reason quoted in many are silly and I just don't see it passing. I don't care for further subdivision of resident hunters into additional youth/archery hunts as one called for and don't see where there is any justification for a longer season which is what most of these call for. We tried to push non-res to the 12th last time and it didn't push through. I would support a Aug 12 start for non-res while keeping res opener on the 10th....again...



    Prop 87 Make all non res sheep drawing only with 5% limit. I believe it is on the right track though low on the non res allocation. The anecdotal "cousin" reference is pretty weak.



    Prop 88. Make all sheep draw for non resident and limit non res tags to 10% of total hunt effort based on historical harvest data. Non-resident draw tags would be region specific--- I think this is the best solution for Alaskans



    Prop 89- Convert all sheep hunts to draw with 10% non-res allocation. I think this is a likely scenario in the future unless something is done now. I don't think it is appropriate at this time and hope that this day never comes!!

    Prop 90. MAke draw hunts 2% non-res allocation and eliminate non res from areas that have less than 50 animals as harvestable surplus. I think the 2% allocation is low but I do like the idea of basing some resident preference on the "harvestable surplus" of sheep in a given area.


    Prop 91. Make next of kin non res included in resident pool for draw tags. NO, a non-res is a non res!

  15. #15
    Member kahahawai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Does that mean resident guides don't?
    Theres a couple resident guides that do, because I hunted an area they were guiding, they are on here but never posts ( I'm not going to mention nor get into it) and I was hunting solo at the time, and never took anyone else but my 12 year old in there since.

    I don't have a problem with the resident guides that LIVE HERE, I do have a problem with Non-resident guides, and Asst Guides Guiding NON-RESIDENTS !!!!! ...... And I know alot of Master guides employ out of state asst guides.....I know, I know,... theres a right to work law here in Alaska etc etc etc....

  16. #16
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    ...I know, I know,... theres a right to work law here in Alaska etc etc etc....
    Actually, Kaha, it is the US Constitution that prevents any state from outlawing non residents from working in that state. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say you hate Non Resident Guides. In which case, the only avenue the state has to (I think) discourage non res guides is raising the licensing fee. I believe the state can charge more for non res licensing. Talk to your state Sen. and Rep.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

  17. #17
    Member kahahawai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Actually, Kaha, it is the US Constitution that prevents any state from outlawing non residents from working in that state. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say you hate Non Resident Guides. In which case, the only avenue the state has to (I think) discourage non res guides is raising the licensing fee. I believe the state can charge more for non res licensing. Talk to your state Sen. and Rep.
    I don't hate them (non-res guides) They hate me for my honest opinion, and if a non- resident hunter has to be guided for sheep, then why should a non-res have have the right to guide them .... You see where I 'm at?

  18. #18
    Member ramhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    699

    Default

    Itís irrelevant if they are a resident or non-resident guide, thatís not the problem. The sheep were allowed to be over harvested thought out most the state, and yes the vast amount were killed by guided non-resident hunters, Us Alaska residents who have been around hunting sheep for the last 25 plus years saw this coming, and we were not wrong!

    The no more than 10% tags going to non-residents is about 15 years late!...that would have fixed this problem, less non-resident hunters = less guides= more sheep for Alaskan residents! Itís pretty simple math!

    Limit the non-res tags to 10% and its win-win for the sheep (most important) and us!

  19. #19

    Default

    why should they be alble to kill any of our sheep. best of success to you and Mark in fighting this injustice suffered by all alaska sheep hunters
    connie
    Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    Itís irrelevant if they are a resident or non-resident guide, thatís not the problem. The sheep were allowed to be over harvested thought out most the state, and yes the vast amount were killed by guided non-resident hunters, Us Alaska residents who have been around hunting sheep for the last 25 plus years saw this coming, and we were not wrong!

    The no more than 10% tags going to non-residents is about 15 years late!...that would have fixed this problem, less non-resident hunters = less guides= more sheep for Alaskan residents! Itís pretty simple math!

    Limit the non-res tags to 10% and its win-win for the sheep (most important) and us!

  20. #20
    Member Yellowknife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    803

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Props 78-86.... open resident season 5 days early (or some variation of the same) ... I vote no, the reason quoted in many are silly and I just don't see it passing. I don't care for further subdivision of resident hunters into additional youth/archery hunts as one called for and don't see where there is any justification for a longer season which is what most of these call for. We tried to push non-res to the 12th last time and it didn't push through. I would support a Aug 12 start for non-res while keeping res opener on the 10th....again...
    I would think that shortening the non-res season 5-7 days (rather than lengthening the resident season) would slightly reduce the sheep take, simply because the guides won't be able to book as many clients and it would be competing with moose season. Might be a simpler/cheaper idea than going to a non-res draw. However, I'm not if sure that would actually have any discernible impact on success rates or trophy quality for the residents, since we seem to be self limited by our skills. You can bet that it would receive much lobbying against by APHA and others.

    I can't see a longer res season getting much traction.

    Yk

Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •