Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eureka K-2 XT or Assault Outfitter 4

Default Eureka K-2 XT or Assault Outfitter 4

Narrowed my tent choice between Eureka K-2 XT and Assault Outfitter 4. I plan on using this for a self-guided caribou hunt on the north slope first week of September. There will be 2 of us. In the future I might use this tent for 3 people.

The K-2 is listed as a 3-person tent and the Assault a 4-person tent. If you look at the dimensions, the K-2 looks slightly larger. Which tent would have more room ? The vestibule sizes look larger on the Assault.

I can get either tent for the same price, around $289 with free shipping.

Any recommendations on which one to get ?

Thanks

I'm going on my third season in a eureka assault outfitter 4. I modified mine to take a wood stove. I've used it for two moose hunting trips, a caribou hunting trip, two yukon river trips, 4 winter camping trips down to 40 below zero at night., countless road side stops, and two dip netting trips, and finally, a rainy week long trip to Jackaloff Bay (sp?). The tent will not buckle in the wind due to the three pole design. I've set up shop in swampy moss, the bath tub floor will not let in water. I will try to find some pics. For the price, I don't think you will find a more versatile tent for alaska. If you split the rainfly and tent body with another hunter, you will only be carrying about 3.5 lbs a piece. What I really like about this tent is that all three poles are EXACTLY THE SAME LENGTH. When I'm dead tired at the end of the day, the thing sets up lightning fast. Another thing I like is that you can zip up all of the mesh if you want to. I hate tents that have mesh as part of the tent body as it makes for an extremely drafty and cold tent during winter camping. It's nice to have just one little panel of mesh zipped open in the winter, or all the mesh zipped open during a hot interior alaska day in the summer time.

here they are

Attached Images Attached Images

here's another picture late september hunting:

Attached Images Attached Images

Great looking tent there Mainer!!

I don't have an Assault, but I have a Eureka tent with the same style doors and vestibule and I despise it after a rainy night. All the water from the fabric above just runs down on you when you open it, regardless of that little gutter thing they have on the door. Otherwise I love the tent. The K2 XT doesn't do this to you since you can flap the door off to the side and there is nothing above it.

I also own an K2 XT. It's been in Kodiak level severe winds and it hardly moves in the wind. It's a 5 pole geodesic dome designed for extreme conditions and it flat works. Lots of room for two guys and gear.

Mainer,

Any issues with sparks from the wood stove? Spark arrestor? How about the floor....and burns there? What stove are you using? I bet that gets toasty in there.

Mainer,

Thanks for the pics, looks like you did a great job modifying the tent for the stove. I'm starting to lean more towards the Assault. I like green better anyways instead of the K-2's yellow.

Do the vestibules stay dry when it is raining ?

Just wanting to know where you can get this tent for 289$ I have been looking at getting a new tent.

Quote Originally Posted by akwolverine View Post
    Just wanting to know where you can get this tent for 289$ I have been looking at getting a new tent.

Here's the link: Eureka Assault Outfitter 4 Tent - $289.99 - In Stock

Vestibules on both are part of the rain fly. Everything will be kept dry under them on either model. Just a note on Green vs. Yellow tents. Yellow can be seen from a lot further out, especially if the weather is foul. Doesn't seem like much, but it saved my butt on Kodiak when the crap weather blew in and my GPS was forgotten in the tent.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerHunter View Post
    Mainer,

Thanks for the pics, looks like you did a great job modifying the tent for the stove. I'm starting to lean more towards the Assault. I like green better anyways instead of the K-2's yellow.

Do the vestibules stay dry when it is raining ?
    Yes, the entire rain fly stays dry, and no issues with water anywhere on the tent. We pretty much lived in the tent through most of the summer. Yes, I like the green too. I don't like to be seen when I'm hunting.

Lowrider,

The stove I use is a Kifaru Medium. I'm not overly impressed with the stove but it keeps us warm during cold weather. I have two holes in the tent from sparks and they were both easily repaired. If you run extremely dry spruce, that is when sparks pop out of the stove, but I fixed that with a baffle. We had set up the stove without a piece of reflectix insulation in combination with not using the baffle so that's why the holes occurred. You need the stove to dry socks and other articles of clothing during wet weather.

For almost the same price I look at cableas Alaskan guide model tent. Its be proven times and again by many as very good tent.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I have the cabelas Alaskan guide model 6 man. It's heavy though.

I have been seriously considering turning it into a wood stove tent like Mainer did.

I've heard that the Alaskan Guide model takes too long to set up, or is overly complicated. If tent camping in one specific spot for a while, not a big deal. But if you are running a river and having to set up and break down camp, set up time is very important to consider. One thing that I don't like is having to set up camp when you are dead tired, injured, or cold and wet (or all of the above).

Its definitely a 2 man job. Takes 5-10 min, and can be a REAL ***** in the wind. There are 5 (i think) poles, and they are all the same length, and 1 shorter one for the vestibule.

How big are your stove jacks and pipe you have in your tent? I am looking at the Ti-Goat medium stove. Problem is finding someone who will sew in the jacks...

Quote Originally Posted by J2theD View Post
    Its definitely a 2 man job. Takes 5-10 min, and can be a REAL ***** in the wind. There are 5 (i think) poles, and they are all the same length, and 1 shorter one for the vestibule.

How big are your stove jacks and pipe you have in your tent? I am looking at the Ti-Goat medium stove. Problem is finding someone who will sew in the jacks...
    Same questions and same problem. I'm wondering if something like RTV or 3M 5200 would glue and seal the fabric to the stove jack and not be near the pipe enough to cause an issue due to heat and use the piece of tent material you cut out for the jack as a velcroed cover for the stove jack when the stove is not in use.

Could that work????

Also, I'm thinking of 2 big alum or stainless cookie sheets under the stove to catch sparks and save the floor.

I have put up and taken down the Cabela's 4 man Guide Model tent by myself with no problem. It is, however, heavy and not one to take back packing or on a drop off it weight is a concern. I also have the Eureka K-2 and love it. Everything stays dry under the rain fly. I agree with Doug about the color. My K-2 is yellow and the Cabela's is green. You can see the yellow if you need to find the camp and the GPS dies or something else happens. It also saves us once in the dark because what little moon light there was reflected off my yellow tent when we got to the campo area, we couldn't see the green one. Back to the K-2, it will be very snug putting three people in it. All your gear will be in the vestibules.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Same questions and same problem. I'm wondering if something like RTV or 3M 5200 would glue and seal the fabric to the stove jack and not be near the pipe enough to cause an issue due to heat and use the piece of tent material you cut out for the jack as a velcroed cover for the stove jack when the stove is not in use.

Could that work????

Also, I'm thinking of 2 big alum or stainless cookie sheets under the stove to catch sparks and save the floor.
    Thats literally the same ideas I had. Using the cut out tent material as the cover, or even a piece of arctic oven material. I was thinking even a piece of tin foil would help with sparks and reflecting heat.

Quote Originally Posted by J2theD View Post

I have two sewn in jacks, one in the main tent body, and one sewn into the rain fly. Both stove jacks have a rainflap sewn in made out of extra rain fly material. Both have velcro sewn in to either hold both open, or hold both closed tight. All seams are taped and it's worked out fine. I have a friend that does my sewing, but it's alot of work doing it right so he's not interested in doing it for anybody else. The sewn-in type stove jacks are made of materials that are highly resistant to heat so no other modification or overly complicated process is necessary. The key is getting both the rainfly stove jack, and the main tent body stove jack perfect, if not, you're screwed. The cookie pan idea will not work, it will just distribute the tent heat to the pan and with that setting on your floor.....it's a no go. The best thing to use is a piece of reflectix insulation and it stays cool to the touch under the piece of insulation. it folds small enough to fit in the stove pack when the stove is disassembled.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast