Thread: 260 Nosler Accubond bullet for the 375 Ruger

Default 260 Nosler Accubond bullet for the 375 Ruger

How many folks are using the 260 Nolser Accubond for their 375 Ruger? This bullet has a great BC and should be a great bullet out to 250 yards or so for elk and moose sized animals. The 270 or 300gr Nosler/Swift would likely be better for bigger critters

Silver Tip
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no other place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." ...Ronald Reagan.....please never forget this!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Tip View Post
    How many folks are using the 260 Nolser Accubond for their 375 Ruger? This bullet has a great BC and should be a great bullet out to 250 yards or so for elk and moose sized animals. The 270 or 300gr Nosler/Swift would likely be better for bigger critters

Silver Tip
    I load them in a good friend's H&H; different cartridge, but same velocity. To say that he is satisfied would be an understatement. He's hammered 2 moose the past 2 seasons--both DRT--with a total of two shots. One was about 50 yards and the other a bit over 200. I've done a good bit of testing in his rifle and would shoot in anything in AK with the 260 AB without concern.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I killed 3 Sitkas with 260s this fall in my 375 H&H. Seemed to work as advertised, though a bit overkill. But hey I was ready to play bear backup, though I never got the chance

Guy over on the Nosler forums loading those 260 accubonds up in his 375 ultra mag according to him they are going about 3100-3200 f.p.s. He didn;t say if he killed anything with them yet out of the RUM. I have some 260 gr partitions I should load up for that Ultra mag and see how fast they are scooting along. I do know a 270gr barnes TSX out of the Ultra mag will kill a caribou...

I've been considering trying the 260 gr AB in my H&H for elk here in Colorado. However, I'm curious why you say it should be good out to 250 yards or so. Seems like it would do fine at even longer ranges than that given that it has the same velocity and trajectory as a .30-06. Is that a personal range limitation? Just curious...not criticizing.

Actually my last elk was shot at 425 yards with my 338 Win Mag. using 210 Nosler partitions. You are right there's no reason to limit my shots with the 375 to any less. The trajectory is identical to the 338 Win Mag using the 250 gr bullet. This rifle and load should be great at any range you feel comfortable with! Thanks for your comments.

PS. c04 Hoosier... are you from Indiana? I spent years in Indiana and am a veterinarian from Purdue.

Silver Tip
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no other place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." ...Ronald Reagan.....please never forget this!!!

I have the 375 Ruger for bear back-up, and it shoots well enough for most all game out to normal hunting ranges, say 300yrds. Since it is for bear protection, I try and load a premium bullet that will give me maximum weight retention and penetration to smash bones and stop big fuzzy at close range. I decided on Barnes bullets and really love the 250g TTSX. The 270g TSX shoots good too. If you are not worried about DLP, then any good ole' high BC bullet will do that shoots well in the gun. Accubonds being high on the list. A high BC bullet assumes you may take a longer shot. If I was never shooting under say 200yrds, I would shoot the 300g bullets and have at it.

260 accubond .473
    250g TTSX .424
    270g Speer BTSP .429

I hear good things about the accubond, and would not hesitate on any game save for DLP instances. Even then I bet a 260g bullet close to the muzzle of the 375 Ruger will wallop about anything on this continent. Happy shooting

Silver Tip,

I am from Indiana. Wabash to be specific. I almost went to Purdue myself but got into the Air Force Academy so I went there instead. Now that I'm out of the AF, I'm back in Colorado. I'll be in Greeley once my new job starts. Hopefully next year I will find an elk to try a 260 gr Accubond on!

c04hoosier

I have used the 260 Accubond in the 375 JDJ Encore handgun for several years, it has work outstanding on deer, wild hogs, a single bison and an elk. I would highly recommend this projectile.

Rafe