Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the most popular brown bear caliber

Default What is the most popular brown bear caliber

Going to Alaska Peninsula for the first time to hunt brown bear and want to make sure I do it right. I have big hopes of shooting a 10 foot plus bear, but with my luck that may not happen but I want to be prepared. So with that in mind, what caliber of gun should I need? Thanks

.338 WM
    .375 H&H

- Clint

Default bear gun

I think that the 375 H&H is probably the most popular, but there are other equally effective alternatives. I have used a 35 Whelen for the last several years, and been extremely satisfied with it. My dad uses a 338-06 in British Columbia, and has also been satisfied.

Default Big ones!

I would look and see what you have and go from there. I would say .338 or a .375 is a good choice if you are looking to by something to meet you needs. You need to be able to shoot well with it. Shot placement is everything.

375 H&H, just my preference although others out there that will also do the job just fine.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    I would look and see what you have and go from there. I would say .338 or a .375 is a good choice if you are looking to by something to meet you needs. You need to be able to shoot well with it. Shot placement is everything.
    At this time the largest caliber I have is a 300wsm.

Default 300

A 300 will work for a bear. I know of people taking them with 30.06s. I use a 300 for every large game animal except for a .338 for browns. Like I wrote before, shot placement is everything.

Default 17 Fireball

You are a sissy if you use anything larger than a 17 FireBall.

Yes I am a Sissy I use a 375 H&H

Drew

I would bring the 300 WSM. Even though a lot of us enjoy the larger calibers I would not buy a new rifle for a hunt. Use what you are used to and can shot well.
    You will be backed up by someone else so concentrate on bullet placement with a high quality bullet.
    Peyton, Colorado

I assume you're asking which caliber is the most popular from the hunter's perspective rather than the bear

So, what brand oil should be used in your vehicle while driving up there?

Default browns

Sounds like a good excuse to buy a new rifle chambered in 375H/H or 416 RemMag. If your married just tell the wife that your life depends on your having this new rifle which you will name after her!

Even though I had a Sako .375 H&H , I used my .300 wby mag w/200 grain partitions to dump my 10 foot brownie.
    I shot a good Grizz with a .338 with 250 grand slams also.
    The performance of the Weatherby was more dramatic, however every single anecdote will show slightly different results.
    You risk getting into the old Chevy/Ford/Dodge etc type bickering when you bring up cartridge choices.
    Use a good bullet, place it well and don't sweat your choice, be it anything from a .300 to a .416...

Default 375

I vote for the 375. I've used 338 on bb before and 375 also. The 375 worked better in that it has a bit more frontal impact area. Good premium bullets help and of course, shot placement is like timing...."so everything" in hunting.

Would NOT go below a 30:06. If the bear decides to charge, the first thing going thru your mind will be "is this enough gun???"

bearclaw46

Thumbs up

.338 or , 375. can't go wrong with either one.

personally, i would and have go with .340 wthby. shooting heavy for caliber premium bullets.
    Cold Zero
    Member: S.C.I., N.R.A. Life Endowment Member & L.E. Tactical Firearms Instr.

**For Private contact email me, P.M. usually full.*

as posted above they all work, your 300 is fine, if one of my brown bear clients showed up with his favorite 300 with good bullets i'd be fine, if he showed up with his brand new .375 that he was scared of shooting, i'd get more ammo and put on my flak jacket. Most guys use big guns for the "just in case" senario, since you'll have a guide with you, your gun isn't the last option if things get sticky, it might help to have a bigger bullet going downrange, like i say prepare for the worst and hope for the best. hence the .416 that i love!
    Master guide license #212.....now what?!

Default .444 marlin

i like my .444 marlin sturdy, dependable, and with hornady's new "leverevelution" the range moves out to over 200 yards, also shootin through brush is option if i need too
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

Default Talk to your guide

As BRWNBR said he wouldnt mind a client coming with a 300....but what would your guide think? I would say the single most important thing in a BB rifle is proficiency. If it charges what can you shoot most accurately and naturally. Your 300 would be that gun if you practice with it all the time. I have also heard that some guides want the client to have at least a 375. In that case I have heard rave reviews about the new ruger 375 and if you are going that route throw a muzzle brake on er and tone down the thumpin. There is my two cents.

Thumbs up 1500 +Meters

One word (Lapua) look up www.lapua.com and check out the 338 cal

Smile the three-six bits is king

I have been in on a bunch of brownie kills, the .375 H&H is my choice out of the rack. Bigger bears can take a pounding, and the .375 is nice to shoot- it is hard to argue with proven success.

Default Looks Like .338 Or .375

Well it looks like .338 or .375 wins. Yes it does sound like I'm looking for a good reason to buy a new gun but really I what make sure I do the job right. I had been thinking about a .375 because it could come in handy if I ever go to Africa. Thanks for all the good information.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast