Thread: What kind of boat can be used on the Sag?

Default What kind of boat can be used on the Sag?

I was wondering if any one can help me out with this question? I love going on the haul road but, every time I go I see tons of people with big animals in there trucks. Some are flying out, and some are using boats. I was wondering what kind of boats work the best? I am interested because I want to be one those hunters everyone else see's and say's "wish that was me". Hope this helps lots of us on here to better our chances.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

The first that comes to mind is an airboat. You can use a 18 foot flat bottom with jet also but it gets skinny in places. A lot of the good hunting is on the Ivashek and that gets skinny too.

Airboats and jet boats if you have the skills and knowledge. You can also raft down if you get flown in and dropped off. Personally, I think you'd be money ahead flying in and rafting out.

I've run my 20' Predator several times on the Ivishak. It's as big of a boat as I would take up there. As long as you know what you are doing, and stay on the throttle when things get hairy, you'll either do okay, or be spending some time getting the boat back in the water. New bottom costs about $5,500, but insurance should cover it. Yea yea, I know this by experience. First year out I tore up my boat pretty bad. After a few trips, I learned how to run the river and now I've got the exerience where I feel more comfortable, but things still happen. I haven't done that hunt in a few years because I really don't want to damage my boat any more. Expect some damage both on the river and on the road so you won't be disapointed when you get home. Probably cheaper in the long run to fly out if you don't already have a boat. Seen a lot of boats over the years come home empty too.

Quote Originally Posted by jcorwin4278 View Post
    I was wondering if any one can help me out with this question? I love going on the haul road but, every time I go I see tons of people with big animals in there trucks. Some are flying out, and some are using boats. I was wondering what kind of boats work the best? I am interested because I want to be one those hunters everyone else see's and say's "wish that was me". Hope this helps lots of us on here to better our chances.
    I'm done hunting the Haul Road and the river systems north of Atigun. There are caribou to be had, but the people are ridiculous. There is no sense of common courtesy or boundaries between hunters. If there's a caribou standing next to your tent, you can be sure that the next boat to drive by will shoot it. Even if you're busy pulling your gun out of its case. If you spend an entire day finding a camping spot that is far away from anyone else, someone will come along and camp 300 yards downriver from you. Once this happens, the airboaters will come and park 400 yards upriver every day and hunt even though they could go miles downriver or upriver and still be alone. Save your money and buy an airplane.

Quote Originally Posted by lab man View Post
    I'm done hunting the Haul Road and the river systems north of Atigun. There are caribou to be had, but the people are ridiculous. There is no sense of common courtesy or boundaries between hunters. If there's a caribou standing next to your tent, you can be sure that the next boat to drive by will shoot it. Even if you're busy pulling your gun out of its case. If you spend an entire day finding a camping spot that is far away from anyone else, someone will come along and camp 300 yards downriver from you. Once this happens, the airboaters will come and park 400 yards upriver every day and hunt even though they could go miles downriver or upriver and still be alone. Save your money and buy an airplane.
    Truthfully this is one of the other reasons I haven't had much desire to get back up there. It is getting pretty crowded, although I haven't run into too much of the lack of courtesy you speak of.