Thread: dill pickle/cabbage recipe

Default dill pickle/cabbage recipe

I made dill cabbage today and thought I would share the recipe. I use the same one for pickles too. This recipe turned out the best and crunchiest homemade dill pickles I have ever eaten, yes better than grandma's. If you like dill pickles and cabbage then give this a try.

Dill Pickles/cabbage
    Ingredients:
    * 8 pounds of cucumbers (3- to 5-inch pickling cucumbers, may be sliced, spears or whole) [For dill cabbage use 4 small heads or 1-1 large heads (6-8 pounds)]
    * 1/2 cup salt
    * 1 and 1/2 quarts vinegar
    * 2 quarts water
    * fresh dill and/or dill seed (as needed)
    * 1 Tbsp garlic Powder
    * 1 Tbsp Onion Powder
    * 2 tbsp peppercorns
    * 1 garlic clove per jar
    * 1-3 grape leaves per jar (may be omitted but the pickles will be much crunchier with them)
    Optional 1 hot pepper per jar

Directions:
    1. Wash cucumbers. Cut 1/16-inch slice off blossom end and discard. If using whole cucumbers, leave 1/4-inch of stem attached. (For dill cabbage remove the outer leaves and trim the stalk close to the head. Then cut the cabbage in eights leaving a little of the stem/core attached to each wedge)
    2. Combine vinegar, 1/2 cup salt, garlic powder, 1 teaspoon peppercorns, onion powder, 2 quarts water, and 1 large head of dill seed. Heat to boiling.
    3. Fill jars with cucumbers or cabbage.
    4. Add 1 garlic clove, 1-3 grape or muscadine leaves, and 1-2 head/sprig fresh dill (or 1 1/2 teaspoons dill seed or dill weed) per pint jar.
    7. Cover with boiling pickling solution, leaving 1/2-inch head space. Remove air bubbles by thrusting a plastic or wooden utensil up and down along inside wall of jars. Wipe jar rims. Apply lids hand tight.
    8. Process in a boiling water bath (10 minutes for pints; 15 minutes for quarts). For cabbage process quarts in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes.
    (makes 7-9 quarts)
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default better than Grandma

Hey, what the heck....???

OK your recipe is just about the same as mine so you are OK this time.
    But better watch it there sonny!
    Grandma Lori

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    I made dill cabbage today and thought I would share the recipe. I use the same one for pickles too. This recipe turned out the best and crunchiest homemade dill pickles I have ever eaten, yes better than grandma's. If you like dill pickles and cabbage then give this a try.

Dill Pickles/cabbage
    Ingredients:
    * 8 pounds of cucumbers (3- to 5-inch pickling cucumbers, may be sliced, spears or whole) [For dill cabbage use 4 small heads or 1-1 ½ large heads (6-8 pounds)]
    * 1/2 cup salt
    * 2 quarts water
    * 1 Tbsp garlic Powder
    * 1 Tbsp Onion Powder
    * 2 tbsp peppercorns
    * 1 garlic clove per jar
    * 1-3 grape leaves per jar (may be omitted but the pickles will be much crunchier with them)

Directions:
    1. Wash cucumbers. Cut 1/16-inch slice off blossom end and discard. If using whole cucumbers, leave 1/4-inch of stem attached. (For dill cabbage remove the outer leaves and trim the stalk close to the head. Then cut the cabbage in eights leaving a little of the stem/core attached to each wedge)
    2. Combine vinegar, 1/2 cup salt, garlic powder, 1 teaspoon peppercorns, onion powder, 2 quarts water, and 1 large head of dill seed. Heat to boiling.
    4. Add 1 garlic clove, 1-3 grape or muscadine leaves, and 1-2 head/sprig fresh dill (or 1 1/2 teaspoons dill seed or dill weed) per pint jar.
    7. Cover with boiling pickling solution, leaving 1/2-inch head space. Remove air bubbles by thrusting a plastic or wooden utensil up and down along inside wall of jars. Wipe jar rims. Apply lids hand tight.
    8. Process in a boiling water bath (10 minutes for pints; 15 minutes for quarts). For cabbage process quarts in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes.
    (makes 7-9 quarts)
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Default better than Grandma's???

Hey, what the heck....???

OK, your recipe is just about the same as mine so you are OK this time.
    But better watch it there sonny!
    Grandma Lori

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post

Dill Pickles/cabbage
    Ingredients:
    * 8 pounds of cucumbers (3- to 5-inch pickling cucumbers, may be sliced, spears or whole) [For dill cabbage use 4 small heads or 1-1 ½ large heads (6-8 pounds)]
    * 1/2 cup salt
    * 2 quarts water
    * 1 Tbsp garlic Powder
    * 1 Tbsp Onion Powder
    * 2 tbsp peppercorns
    * 1 garlic clove per jar

Directions:
    (makes 7-9 quarts)

You know I meant better than my grandma's pickles. Hope all is well way up north, grandma.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

ha ha ha, yes, just giving you a hard time <smile>. Yes all is well up my way thank you!

And oppsie double post on my part...I am blaming that on my old man who needed me to finish up pronto so I could give him a hand with some outside chores.