Thread: My oldest Son, the Seal Hunter

Default My oldest Son, the Seal Hunter

I took the picture of our 'Guests' laying in the kitchen, two Ring Seals our oldest son brought from his Sound side home, while he visits for the holidays and plays in the local ball tournaments. I "borrowed' the othr pix from him, and I guess he did pretty good this Fall, both with Hunting and Winning the tournament. The wife is happy for the blubber and nice skins, and these being prime for clothing and so fat they dont sink when shot, therfore no holes from Harpoons or hooks The less holes, the better.

Looks like he knows that ice well, and he should. Im glad I gave him one of my cameras to record his kids, hunts and such, 'cause gettin' these pix is worth it. His only problem is everyone wants to shoot, chuck spears and drive, no one wants to take pictures when theres 'Action'~~LOL!!~~ Lucky I got a Wife who likes snappin' shots. ~

In a couple hours the butchering begines, when the woman deems it time. The little one will be cut for rope, the larger for some sorta clothing.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Awesome pictures as usual. I've tried to get my two older sons interested in killing seals for their mom's oil jars and handicrafts, but they wouldn't do it. The youngest shows some interest though.

Wow, mixed feelings on this one. I think way more seals should be killed, I just wish any resident could kill them. Cool pics, thanks for sharing.

I agree that they should be hunted by residents, however restricted, but its beyond me.

He waits for a big wind to blow the ice out or apart and he slides that old boat out there with not much effort. Soon thell drive snowmachines, and the wife and I will visit for an Ox Hunt, and maybe he'll have more Seals

Looks like their driving through slush.

Wow, awesome pics. But I gotta say, walking on that ice would make me nervous.

man, that is just SO ​cool!!!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Great pictures and story, Stranger. So happy to know that your son is following in your honorable tradition!

OK,so I need a size 7 cap with flaps.To late in the year to make stink flipper so it will just have to go in the pot.When a man does good often his sons do the same and before long stories are told.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thanx, Trapak, but I'm a 'Landsman', if Long Jon Silvers discription can be applied, though I do like to hunt/fish/travle in the Ocean, the Son was trained to hunt the 1/2 seen animals of this place by older uncles, and knows this stuff, and I do not.

One thing I think I have passed on to him was to Fear Not, but proceed with Respect. The Ocean, like the Weather can be usually be reconed with, if you pay attention and on some days both need to be totally avoided, they will always win. They both play a big part in feeding us, and to pay attention, because death is the business, and a Hunter getting killed is often enough a part of Hunting...........best avoided for sure, but its not a "Safe" way to make a living, especcially out inthe Ice Pack. When Shat happens out there, there is no help, no sign.

Hes pretty strict with himself, which is why he was taken in the first place, and is there and doing well, I admire that 'young punk' ~~LOL!!~~

Really, I want his float coat

Looks cool, I mean cold! Neat pics, looks like you rearanged your kitchen a bit? Glad you guys got more seal for oil, that was in the eskimo icecream right?

Great pics,
    am also glad someone is snappin' the shutter,

Those are priceless pics !!

Am curious, are they thawing by the stove there, before skinning?

Do you usually get right to the skinning while they're still warm, following the kill, or is that not feasible to get done, while still out there?

So they come home for later, maybe better skin job and easier on hands, etc.?

Hard for a southern coastal guy to comprehend hunting in that kind of cold
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Well done Stranger,, I bet Mrs Stranger turns those seals into some very nice items.

I have a seal hat and it is almost too warm to wear on all but the coldest days.

Congrats to the hunters.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Yep, way cool pics, Chip, you and the Mrs. should be proud.

Very nice. Thanks for the great pics.

We have a tradional tie to the Ocean, as my wifes family does with them migrateing each breakup to th eOcean till Caribou are calling us back up the river in Fall, than we go back downstream to our little village on the Kobuk delta , and quite often Seals and such, with Seals quite often and Polar Bears and Walrus occasionally.
    The wifes family is quite adapt at procuring the 1/2 hidden animals.

To start with a Seals butchering, you must first consitter what it is going to be used for. Were gonna render the Blubber into oil, but chopping it up and letting it "Try out", and being an oil that renders at room temperature, it will not stick to the arteries, nor will any Sea mammle fats.
    Th eoil makes a tatsy garnish for frozen meats and fish, and in this extream Arctic environment, its a caloric boost that makes eating frozen foods a doable Thang, and the person eating such will have energy and viger, rather than Hypothermia from eating frozen foods plain. Often, a bag of blue berrys and a bag of seal oil was the travle food of the man on foot, who hunted and stayed out till he had a load, often over several days, which he would live on , with the berrys and oil as garnish for the meats caught.
    One Seal here was butcherd with the skin being cut for streching for tanning, the other cut for cordage. When its cut up the middle and around the flippers, its going to be streched, if its in two seperate "Hoops" of skin from above and below the flippers, its gonna be rope or bags, depending on how its worked bythe woman.
    In spring, my wife will make a bag of sorts, a "puuk" (pook) that she will place the 1/2 dryed meats into the render'd Seal oils for preservation. Skins then are poor for clothing, but make great rope, waterproof boots, bags, and other 'stuffs'. Fall and winter skins make great pants and coats.
    During winter, the meats are boiled or fed to dogs after a little cooking.
    Seal Meats taste like a Beef with a definint fish taste to it, but not hard to get used to. I like mine with mustard and tea.

Poking holes an inch from the edge all along her cuts, to lace the strings that strech it in the frame.

Then the pelt is removed with the blubber on the skin by cutting the blubber away from the meats, untill th eentire carcass is fat/skin free.

Then the animals carcass is taken back out to be cut up as needed, to the cache, while the blubber is removed by carefully slicing the 2 inches of fat closely and carefully to avoid cutting the skin, and yet leaving none behind that would spoil the skin. The skin is streched, then scraped and cured. Then, finally, it will be ready for cutting and sewing.
    The Hoops of skin will be cut as a spiral, after a soak in the scrap oils, so as to loosen and shed its hairs.
    Blubber in the bucket.

This will be cut into small peices over the next couple days, to render at room temperature.
    Ill post more as this progresses.

A "toast" with a moose roast to you this weekend! You live a life that most of us can only read and dream about, thanks for sharing it with us!!

Thanks for sharing this with the rest of us. I love how her nail polish matches her outfit...some things are universal.

Makes me hungry for some herring eggs and seal grease!
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Very nice post indeed! Def a lifestyle for the "young and free of spirit"!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....