Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any trouble with moyles?

Default Any trouble with moyles?

Has anyone out there used Moyles tannery in Idaho? If so, have you had any problems with them? I recently got a black bear hide back from them that I do not believe is the same one that I sent them. It is smaller and is missing the white patch on its chest that my bear had. They have done other furs for me in the past and I have been pretty happy, except for a red fox hide that they said "was falling apart". I told them to dispose of it even though it was my biggest fox. Now I am suspicious. Has anyone else had similar experiences?
    Thank you for your response.

I thought a moyle was a rabbi who specialized in circumcisions. I got a kick out of your thread title.
    Sorry, know nothing of the tannery.

I have used Moyles for several years with excellent results, Last year one of my trapper friends had a problem with a hide, and after speaking with them they promptly solved the problem to his satisfaction. The hides received from them are much softer than other places I have tried. I would suggest giving them a call they are easy to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by mcdamo View Post
    Has anyone out there used Moyles tannery in Idaho? If so, have you had any problems with them? I recently got a black bear hide back from them that I do not believe is the same one that I sent them. It is smaller and is missing the white patch on its chest that my bear had. They have done other furs for me in the past and I have been pretty happy, except for a red fox hide that they said "was falling apart". I told them to dispose of it even though it was my biggest fox. Now I am suspicious. Has anyone else had similar experiences?
    Thank you for your response.

Nope, I have not used them. Seems prudent to contact them and explain the problem. Document the contacts just in case. Send them a photo if necessary. Might be a simple explanation.
    Good luck,
    ARR

Although they are well respected..I just got back my marten/lynx skins. One was missing a tail when I sent it in..it returned with a tail but missing a r/rear leg. All the lynx came back correct and nicely done.

I just got back an order from them...my furs. It took longer than it did previously but not overly so and the quality was top notch.

I've found them very easy to work with- I'd just call them.

I just got an order back from them a month ago. VERY nicely done. Easy to work with too.

Also, I definitely got back same hide as I sent.

We got a bunch back from last year. It took over 6 months, but no big deal. I just sent another batch in, and I found that if you pay a little bit extra, they turn them around in 30 days! We did have one fox from last year they said was slipping really bad. Not sure why that was. The Marten and other fox came back great.

Can I ask how much the bear hide was to get them to do it?

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Thanks for all your input. To their credit, the hides that Ive got back from them have been nicely done. The cost of having the bear done at Moyles is $135 plus shipping.

Default Thanks!

That's not a bad price at all. Thanks for the feedback.
    Claude

I've only turned in hides once to Moyles and had great, quality hides come back. However, a buddy turned in a black bear and what he got back was garbage. The hide was tore up around the torso, super thin and jagged edges. I've got a box full of lynx, coyote, fox, beaver and ermin to send in and half hesitant to go to them again. Has anyone ever thought of marking their furs prior to sending in? Just curious and if so, how do you do it?

Ah, good question predator. I was debating the same thing so we could separate our furs upon thier return between my son, wife, and I. I seem to remember the best way is to poke very small holes in a place that won't be noticed, through the skin. I was thinking a number of holes for each person in the family. I'll be curious to what others say here. Not much is going to survive the tanning process, so I don't know what else a person could do.

Claude

I just sent in 34 beaver, 1 wolf, 1 fox, 1 caribou flat skin. Moyles is the go to place for tanning for most Alaska trappers. This is my first go around with them, but have A LOT of friends who use them.

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    I was thinking a number of holes for each person in the family. I'll be curious to what others say here. Not much is going to survive the tanning process, so I don't know what else a person could do.
    Unless you make a bad mistake during the skinning process on one, I don't know any other way to mark them than holes. Bullet holes do count though, in this marking procedure; all holes get larger during the tanning process of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak_Predator View Post
    I've only turned in hides once to Moyles and had great, quality hides come back. However, a buddy turned in a black bear and what he got back was garbage. The hide was tore up around the torso, super thin and jagged edges. I've got a box full of lynx, coyote, fox, beaver and ermin to send in and half hesitant to go to them again. Has anyone ever thought of marking their furs prior to sending in? Just curious and if so, how do you do it?
    I have always marked mine with a Pattern of holes using a punch rather than a knife. Select the site of the holes in an area near the foot or the chin flap as these areas are not as apt to be caught with the auto flesh machine. Punched holes do not rip as easily as knife holes. You can also use a very small plastic Tie wrap through the nose holes. they will leave the plastic on the hide. put it through the nose and trim the excess. ~Mist~

Mine have been marked by using a couple colors of zip ties through the eye hole. So all of my fur had the same color code. I've also used Moyles for years. I have had a couple sad returns. I had a mink and marten furs returned with bald spots that they said were due to me fleshing too closely...questionable. I also was given a wolf hide from an Eskimo friend of mine who said it was the largest he had ever killed, and he's killed A LOT. I fleshed and dried it and sent it to Moyles in a garbage bad that was tied in a knot so that the stink wouldn't infect the post office. Well, Moyles didn't open it for sometime and by the time that they did it was molded and slipping. I was devastated. It was my bad to ship it in a sealed plastic bag, but I figured that they would open their packages upon arrival since they receive RAW FURS. I was quite upset and happened to be in Idaho picking up my furs. I talked to them in person and they basically said too bad.

Sorry to hear of the bad experiences. I've used several tanneries with marginal satisfaction until I discovered Moyle's. Am very happy with them and have had NO issues with the furs for about 8 years in a row now. Did have a friend who said a few of his wolves came back torn up. (5 or 6 years ago). I also have marked my skins with small punch holes with no issues.

Wow, good point Goaty. Now I may understand why a fox slipped last year. They may not have opened it. We also ship the raw furs in, frozen and wrapping in 3 layers of garbage bags sealed shut. I think I'll follow up with a call and make sure they open them quickly... if they can even find them through all the shipments they must receive. At least paying the expediting charge to get them done, they would be less likely to sit around too long. The zip ties sound like a good way to go.

I personally have never used moyle's so I can't comment on them but I have alot of things tanned every year and this would be my advise. For all of my larger things I use gary in anchorage at alpha fur dressing. He dosen't do the best job in the world but for larger things he does good and you don't have the shipping costs. For all smaller things and skins that are very important to me I send them all to South Texas Fur Dressing. They have what I think to be the best tan to work with weather you are mounting the animal or using the fur for crafts or clothing. On a side note the best way to keep track of you skins is to get a punch and come up with a small patteren to punch into the skin. Usually the best place to do this is towards the base of the tail as the fur is usually the densest and the hide is thicker and it will hold stiches and not rip out. One final thought is if you plan to have a skin mounted you are much better to make a small hole in the skin for the seal or zip tie rather than put anything through the eye holes or the nose as it will have a tendancy to damage the eyes or nose and thus the taxidermist will have a harder time getting your final product looking as good as it can.

A couple of notes that could be helpful regarding Moyles. There are two processes Taxidermy & Dressing that Moyles preforms. If you are using for Taxidermy, you would want to place your punched ID code,or Zip tie in a spot that would not be as easily spotted in the finished product. For dressed hides the location of your ID marks would not be as critical. My last shipment of mink that I had marked with white zip ties came back with zip ties still in place and also had small green zip ties added as well. I am assuming that the added ties were used in their in house identification process.
    Secondly Moyles states very clearly they will not accept fresh or frozen hides. Transit time for shipments can take a couple of days or a couple of weeks depending on how it is shipped. Any hides with even a small area left undried, wrapped in plastic would have a high possiblity of arriving at the facility in less than perfect condition. It takes moisture to create the mold, and spoilage. The moisture can not excape in the plastic. If the hides still have moisture or blood dry or salt them more before shipping, and your results will be much better. I have shipped approximately 1,200 pounds of hides to moyles in the past five years none of which was wrapped in plastic, and have never had any kind of complaint from the post office regarding smell or leakage. Plastic is Bad. Here is a quote from Moyle's web site, and I am not affiliated with them in any way.
    1. Be sure skins are thoroughly fleshed and salt dried before shipping.
      (Furbearers for intact fur dressing may be sent trapper dried.)
      WE DO NOT ACCEPT FRESH OR FROZEN SKINS.
      Do not forget to split and dry the tail!
    2. Skins must be completely dry upon receipt or you risk spoilage. Damp salted hides will spoil in storage or shipping.
    3. Taxidermy specimens must have all lips and ears turned, tails split, and paws fleshed out.
    4. Dry all capes and mounts with the ears folded down toward the center of the cape. This will help prevent them from being damaged during shipping.
    5. Fold all skins into pieces smaller than 4 ft. x 4 ft. or they will not fit in our storage bins.
    Hope this inf is helpful ~Mist~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast