Thread: Where to fish?

Post Where to fish?

I have never ice fished AK before. I'm from Maine and have lived here too long not to have already iced fished. Can anyone recommend where to go within 3hr. drive of ANC and what gear/bait I should use? I would appreciate any input. I want to take my fiance out who has never ice fished before. Thanks!

ADF&G has free rods, buckets, and gear that they loan out up here in Fairbanks. I use to check some out when I took the GS troops out for their ice fishing patches.

I would check the local ADF&G office near you and see what they have and check out the gear prior to buying anything, especially if you only want to go a couple times.

You really dont need a hut / heater if you dress warm and have your vehicle near by for emergency heat source. Some of the spring time ice fishing is great.

There are lots of lakes/ponds in the Anchorage bowl area and the regulations have them all listed. I am sure if your just wanting to experience ice fishing and try it out there are people on here that would be willing to take you. Dont forget you fishing license!!
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

I would try finger lake, canoe lake, or if access to elmendorf green lake or hillberg. All you really need is shrimp or salmon eggs where legal. There are many lakes stocked with quality fish. All located on adf&g web site. Hope this helps
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Thanks for the help gentlemen, I have the gear with the exception of an ice auger. Looking to purchase one since I do plan on making ice fishing a regular activity. If you know of anyone selling a used auger in good condition, please let me know. Thanks!