Thread: Trail information?

Default Trail information?

Are there any websites, or would any of you be willing to make known some trails around the valley or Anchorage area (2 hours or so, either way)? I'd like to get out and do some more riding, but don't really know where to go. I know about Petersville. I don't care much about powder, or climbing mountains, or any of that. I'd just like to get out, put some miles on the sled, and see some country! The easier the ride, the better, in case I want to take the wife and/or daughter along over the next few months...

Thanks!

heres a link to the landing on the bottem of page bunch of other links could be what looking for.http://www.deshkalanding.com/trails.html

If you want easy, you might check out the Willow Trails and Eureka. The groomers of the Willow Trails routinely post up here on this forum. If you do a google on Eureka Lodge, trail info can be found there. They sell laminated trail maps at the lodge, as well.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Are there any websites, or would any of you be willing to make known some trails around the valley or Anchorage area (2 hours or so, either way)? I'd like to get out and do some more riding, but don't really know where to go. I know about Petersville. I don't care much about powder, or climbing mountains, or any of that. I'd just like to get out, put some miles on the sled, and see some country! The easier the ride, the better, in case I want to take the wife and/or daughter along over the next few months...

Thanks!

Once we get snow again, Big Lake, Willow, the river system is well marked nowadays with an open lodge about every 20 miles for food or a break. On close to Anchorage for a short 20 mile ride wouldbe Eagle River Nature Center but we need snow.

Unhappy Willow

Willow is a good area to start but the lakes are full overflow right now!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

There are some good places for updated trail reports. Here is a couple of links:

Anchorage Snow Machine Club: http://anchoragesnowmobileclub.com/trail_reports.htm

State funded grooming trail maps: http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/grants/groompl.htm

Hope that helps!
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Great info, Thanks!

Claude,

I'm gonna try to get out your way a few times this year and bring along my Foxpro and .223!!

Good deal! I'm going to be out there starting on the 12th when I get home for the rest of December. I'm going to learn how to use the foxpro, and I got one of those shaking fake rabbits to see if that helps. I'm hoping to be posting pic's of what I get by the end of the month!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com