Thread: November Deer season follow up....

Default November Deer season follow up....

Well, man i'm glad nov is gone. it was the worst november weather i'd ever seen on the island from 45 and rain to 100mph winds and below zero wind chills.
    Saw many many uphappy hunters walking around town, thankfully I was able to pull off 3 deer hunting trips this fall and pull out some nice deer. As usual we saw some big ones that we never got, which is always nice to see.
    Glad the snow is melting the deer were all pushed down on the beach by thanksgiving and the outcome for future deer were slim at best.
    4 years ago we saw a young forkie buck with his hind leg busted and swinging in the wind like an ol' wind sock..it was ugly...this fall the first buck we nailed was a heavy horned bruiser with doe on the brain...went to skin him and found one hind leg all mendedup with bone stickin' out and healed. no movement in the joint...can only imagine it was the same buck from years before!! i'd have never thought a deer would have survived a break like that. Feel bad when these little deer that could get under estimated.
    Highlight of the fall had to be a father and son hunt, the son was 11 and this was his first big game hunt! he nailed a little buck on day one at 20 yards in a sideways snow storm, a forkie the next day at 25 yards and his first fox. then on the 3rd day he dropped another forkie at about 200 yards! his dad also took a nice buck but was there for his boy and we had a riot!! 2 feet of snow made getting around tough. but he had fun...so did his dad!!

Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

This was the buck with the busted/healed hind leg..amazing to see. he scored just at 100"

havalon knives....hummmm mmm gotta love 'em!!
    Master guide 212

more pics coming if photobucket would calm down....
    Master guide 212

not sure why some of these turned sideways on me...oh well you get the general idea.

So that wraps up my guide season this year, hopin' to get some trapline trips booked to have some work otherwise we're just shoveling snow and moppin' water for the winter!!
    Master guide 212

Jake, how heavy is that big buck with the bad leg? He looks heavy and solid. Do you figure he is about 4-5 years old? Very good job and I bet the highlight had to be the young guy and his dad. The boy looks like one happy camper.

Thanks for the pics and stories

Mark

Hope that wasn't your trigger finger...

Jake those are some nice pictures & happy hunters. I was there Nov1-19 & I would agree it was the worst weather I had seen in years. Did you get to guide for goats on the rock this fall?

wow, great photos! thanks

Great photos, thanks for posting

and yeah, the youngster, and his fox,....
    and all those bucks,....The Best of 'em all

What a Blast that must have been
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Cool, looks like a good time.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Fun, fun, fun, I miss hunting on Kodiak. There and Afognak are my two favorite places to hunt deer. Looks like you broke the boy in well!

Some years back, I made a bad shot on a nice buck near Cordova. He jumped back up and got into the windblown hemlock and Spruce on the top of the island and I couldn't figure it out til I got up to the spot he went down. There were pieces of shin bone laying on the ground. I got on the blood trail, but it only lasted about 100 yards. I spent the rest of the day circling the area trying to find him, then hiked down to my boat and early the next day I was back up on top of the mountain searching for him. Spent all that day looking too and over the course of the two days I passed on several nice bucks as I was on a recovery mission. But I never found him and was sick about it. A couple years later a friend posted a picture on a hunting site we both frequent of what looked like a doe with a front leg missing below the knee that a friend of his had just shot on a late winter hunt. I thought about it and sent him a PM and asked if that deer was a buck that had shed it's antlers and was it taken in the vicinity of X Mt. He replied that yes it was a buck and it was taken at the bottom of the same Mt. I'd wounded the buck on and that the leg was completely healed over. I can't prove it's the same buck, but I have a sneaky suspicion it was. They are tougher than you'd guess.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Jake - that hunt brings back good memories!! I'd recoomend this hunt to anyone in a heart beat!

Jake,
    Great write up and pics. Did you cut yourself or have help? Thanks for posting.

lol jeff, no i cut myself. usually i don't need help in that area!! typically i bleed for just about each animal.
    that biggest buck wasn't as heavy as i thought he'd have been. it was just a good healthy deer, figured him around 5 and half or so was my guess.
    kids are fun to guide....
    txhrnhunter, i'm on the island every year and i still miss it as soon as i leave it. great place that island.
    Master guide 212

Nice Bucks Jake, nothing beats seeing the little guys. Thanks