Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dec Deer hunt

Default Dec Deer hunt

Went out on 2 December with my boat, 22' Hewescraft Sea runner.. I was scared of the boat launch, purchased chains and new snow tires just for the trip as I thought the launch would be the weakest link in the whole hunt.. Never had to chain up and managed to get the boat in the water no problem.. I departed with my best friend/neighbor and a co worker in the same building I work in.. We left the dock at 904am, Cruised at 32mph on calm, flat seas in the morning fog, snow, etc.. just before 11 we rounded a corner and spotted my very first sitka deer. It was a fat doe laying on the beach tucked up under a spruce tree.. I motored closer very slow, at 200 meters I killed the motor and we drifted slowly.. Very slowly.. Seemed like forever, at 170 yards she stood up and streched.. looked around and presented me with a broadside shot. My Merkel MR-1 in 30-06 caliber found its mark right behind the front right shoulder. She kicked. and in a flash was in the spruce. We waited a few minutes, motored to shore and located the blood and followed it and made a short recovery.. I had my very first Sitka.. No horns, but a deer.. I punched my tag, we loaded her in the boat and motored off in search of more. 5-10 miles further I passed a small cove and seen movement in the back.. I turned around and we motored slowly in their. Closed the distance to 120 yards and noticed their were 3 bucks.. we did the 1 2 3 and BOOM.. we all 3 had real nice bucks.. I shot a goofy spike all clubed up, my friend shot a fork and a co worker shot the biggest buck of the trip, a 3x2 with a 18" spread, heavy mass.. We now had 4 deer in the boat.. Holy crap..

We started motoring back and saw a small deer on the beach, turned out to be a button buck.. My co worker added him to his count.. All tags were notched.. with 5 deer we started heading home at noon. Didnt take long to round a corner and see 2 giant bucks tucked into a cove.. way at the back just standing their. I motored to about 200 yards, and we drifted to about 160.. My friend missed so I fired and drilled a big 3x3, noticed the other one heading up the hill in the deep snow so I focused and squeezed.. BOOM.. dropped that toad 3x3 as well in his tracks..When I went to drag it down the hill,, I got to the beach and the right orn popped off.. Im holing it on the head in the pic below.. Who would have thought eh? We took a minute and got some pictures.. nothced tags.. I unloaded my gun, cased it and said 4 was plenty.. I was hoping for 1, now I was blessed with 4, 3 being bucks.. We loaded the deer and headed back in.. not much further we spotted a forkie bedded under a tree.. My friend only had the 1 forkie so why not.. we got room for 1 more.. I motored andkilled the engine, we drifted to about 90 yards.. then 80-70-60-50.. the tide was coming in.. BOOM. He got his second buck of the trip.. Tags were notched, deer was loaded after some kodak moments and off we went.. then we saw another one.. HOLY freaking crap.. My co worker had the boggest buck of the day.. but also the smallest..(button buck).. he pleaded we got room for another.. so the same thing.. 200 yards and we drifted closer, at 100 yards he nailed it perfectly.. deer turned and ran into the water and started swimming to us.. *** I thought.. He got about 10 yards off shore and expired. I motored up and we grabbed it, a 2x1 and pulled it into the bow.. they are evn heavier when wet.. (trust me)..

After that one I cut everyone off.. Not being greedy, we had enough for our familys to fill the freezers.. I told eveeryone not to look on shore. Eye to the front.. we had plenty and needed to head back, it was right at 3pm exactly.. It was a slow go with all the weight.. but we made it to the dock just a tad after 5 when the sun was setting.. What a great day.. Wonderful hunt.. Never in a million years would I have thought this wold be the outcome in a day.

Here are a couple pictures form the trip.. and the bucks I took.. I cant say where I was other than 6D. This is a trip I will have on my calendar every year for sure.

NOTE: I been watching the weather every hour it seemed for weeks.. waiting for a window in the weather to make it happen.. Friday was our chance.. It worked out.

Hoytguy100_4822.jpg100_4830.jpg

Gee Whizz, I kinda thought it was harder than that.

Will

HotGuy- very cool story! nice to hear the weather co-operated so you could get out and fill your freezer.

Wow! That is just ridiculous. Congratulations on the great success.

Nice rip Jesse. Thanks for sharing the story.

congrats hoytguy.....that's speed hunting!!

Nice work man!!! You are just whacking and stacking the critters with that boat!!! Way to go.

Good story. Why can't we shoot from a boat here in SE?

Good job !! Awsome trip
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Do you have any beach pictures by chance? Trying to gauge what the beaches are like for flying in this week.

Default 907

I dont have any beach pics, I look carefully when I take pics of game as to not disclose my location.. As far as landing a plane, I didnt see anywhere I was near that you could land.. all the places were small tiny coves.. little nooks.. Nothing was on big open beaches.. and they are camoflauged very well..

Man Alive, that's some efficiency there,...
    Congrats on your upcoming winter full of healthy meat dishes

So, doin some quick figuring,

9 deer is it (?) at say, 50 lbs each wrapped and frozen (conservative estimate there, maybe)
    450 lbs at organic meat prices (say, $6/lb or so, my wife likes to use that figure to justify rifles, gear and fuel, etc.)

and 8hrs of fuel for running, majority of that idling
    (gph for your 22fter, ??
    And truck gas to the boatramp,...??)

yikes,..... I better stop there,.....
    Cause we all know it's RARELY that easy, right?

I guess we'd have to add the weather waiting time
    in there,...

That will be one of those,
    "One time, my buddies and I went out for one day,....and REALLY, NO KIDDING,.....
    The last one of 'em even swam out to us,....!!!

Thanks for the story, and pics,
    Well Done, on the prep and weather patience wisdom
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I burned a hundred dollars or a 1/4 tank of gas in my boat. The 115 is very fuel efficient, but not fast. 30 mph on the way out and I was barely going 16.8 on the way in. Didn't gut them
    till we got home. My truck used a half tank @ about 75.00, add in the tunnel, and launch fee.. I think the total came to 300.00 for everything. We split it 3 ways.. I'll let ya do the math.

The last deer we got on the way in the dang thing jumped in the water and swam at us. Expired quickly.. I motored in and we grabbed it before it sank. A wet Sitka buck is HEAVY.

They don't sink, they float. Their hair is hollow and it will float them even when they get good and wet.

Curious as to why you didn't gut them on the beach? Only takes a couple minutes apiece. Then you can give them a quick wash out in the salt water.

Nice harvest by the way!
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Holy cow, that is awesome!!! If you ever need a partner to split gas and expenses give me a shout!! I live in Palmer as well!!

Great hinting guys. I wish my hunt a few weeks ago produced bucks like that even tho you can't eat antlers. we got 16 in one day but no real nice bucks. Again great job. Congrats

I'm sure dementer will tell us where you were at lol anyhow great story and nice looking deer...

If he tells you he won't be my friend eh? Nor will I ever take him again. I try and keep some things to myself. Locations of where I go are one of em..

Hoytguy

Nice deer Jesse. Looks like you had a good time. Hope we can get out and kill some fish soon.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Congrats!!!! Hmmmm.....lets see if I ran 2 hrs @ 32mph.....now if I only knew which direction to go????

Still waiting to hear back from one more hunting buddy..I hope this recent warm spell didn't melt all the snow away.
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast