Thread: Youth Hunt Ideas

Default Youth Hunt Ideas

I'm looking for some ideas for a hunt in August 2012. I'll be taking my 13 year old son with me. Caribou seems to be the obvious answer but there aren't many caribou that are easy to reach. Kodiak deer might work, but the weather can be so gnarly down there. The resident-only youth hunts are a no-go.
    Thanks,
    -Steve

I had a fantastic time with my son (12 y.o. at the time) hunting blacktails on Kodiak in August. There are many alpine lakes to chose from. While it may be raining and windy, it will be relatively warm also. Bears are on the fish down below alpine, so the bear issues are greatly reduced.

teir 1 caribou tag was the answer last year for my 7 year old, just guided a 11 year old and his dad down on kodiak for deer in nov. i'd go for deer maybe outa cordova on an alpine lake or kodiak for some alpine deer hunting. he's 13...maybe a grizz hunt would be in order?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Lots of August antlerless moose hunts you could put him in for. Are you looking at staying close to home? Are you able to do a fly out?

there is a youth antelrless moose tag in point mackinze, if you draw it I have some sources that let people hunt on their land. that tag counts as your bag limit for moose though, look in the draw hunt supplement
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    there is a youth antelrless moose tag in point mackinze, if you draw it I have some sources that let people hunt on their land. that tag counts as your bag limit for moose though, look in the draw hunt supplement
    That is a great youth hunt. There are also still some public lands there with moose on them and accessible.

Won't work if any member of the household has a tier I permit though.

We can fly, that's no problem. I have more money than time. The Pt Mckenzie hunts aren't an option for us. There needs to be some decent shooting, And needs to be fairly easy. In terms of travel i don't want to get too involved. As much as I'd like to head to the Brooks to hit some caribou but it's a trek to Ft Yukon. Be lots easy to fly out of a community that has Alaska air service. Maybe kodiak deer is the hookup.

Rolan and Seahawk Air in Kodiak completely hooked us up with transport to a good lake.

Wright Air and Wilburs can put you on caribou right out of Fairbanks.

I've flown with Rolan before. He's a good pilot. I'll look at the Fairbanks operators you suggest.

I have no clue why I typed Wilburs above...my head wasn't in it. It's Warbelows.

Kodiak in August is way easier weatherwise than some of the recent November stories we've heard

They will be far up in the alpine, which could work a youngun pretty hard, but except for potentially lots of rain, and maybe fog for air transport delays,...

There'll be a whole lot Less Wind in August, and

August bucks are a pretty tasty reward for your efforts
    Great time of year for the youth hunter
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

A Brooks fly-in drop camp might be an option, but you'll have to make the 16+ hour drive north. Or, float one of the Brooks rivers but you mentioned you didn't want transportation to be too involved....float hunts are definitely "involved".