Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .300 Wsm

Default .300 Wsm

I just purchased a Kimber Montana in .300 WSM. I'm taking it shooting tonight and I'm already smitten with this gun so it isn't going anywhere but, I'm wondering about the recoil. There seems to be two schools of thought about the recoil on the internet. One group says it's no worse than a .30-06 because of the way the cartridge is designed and efficiently burns powder. The other group says it has a sharper, faster recoil than the .300 Win Mag because is generates velocity so quickly and can be horrible in a light weight gun.

So, anyone shoot the .300 WSM in a light gun and what would you compare the recoil to?

The light rifle has a LOT more to due with what recoil you feel than the cartridge.
    That is an excellent cartridge in an excellent hunting rifle. So bore sight the heck out of it first, get on paper at 40 or 50 yards and then move back to 100 yards for the final zero. That way you can cut down on the total number of rounds fired.
    I fired 60 rounds through one on the first day at the range with a similar rifle. It was not as bad as a 300 win mag might have been out of a light rifle. But eventually it was a bit much and I was kinda flinchy by the time I was done. And I was cleaning and cooling between every 3-5 rounds. Plus shooting a couple other guns. (had a couple to sight in for their owners, after scope mountings) So I was pretty goofy by the time I drove home..

My buddy uses a 45-70 Guide Gun with a scout scope for hunting but he is REALLY recoil shy. (Only discovered that he was really a conservative and a gun lover in his late 30s).
    So we work out a deal. After mounting his scope I shot the rounds required to get the Buffalo bullet hot loads close to zero and then he fine tuned his impact point for the last few rounds before his shoulder complained.

If you are way off and need to shoot a bunch of rounds, some folks like to place a bag of 71/2 shot between the rifle butt and their shoulder. It messes up your cheek weld, but you can get close and never feel a thing before the final zero rounds. There are range pads for the same purpose and I have my old mil-issue shooting match jacket around here someplace that has pads built into the shoulder and elbows for prone shooting.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I have read repeated reports on www.24hourcampfire.com that the 300wsm Montana does not kick bad at all. Apparently the stock design of the Montana gets rave reviews for soaking up recoil really well. Go shoot it and let us know what you think.

Default 300wsm

There are many 300wsm montana owners that are very happy with theirs. I would say it depends more on stock fit. I had a 300wsm montana, I didn't like the stock design as far as fit, and with the light barrel there seemed to be a lot of muzzle jump. I now have a sako finnlight 300wsm in a mcmillan edge stock, it weighs about 7.75 lbs ready to go; about a half pound more than the montana, for me I like it a lot better, but thats mainly because of stock fit. Most people I've talk to love their montanas.

Default light 300wsm

I've got a Tikka T3 Lite in 300wsm and the recoil really isn't all that bad. I will admit that I put a limbsaver recoil pad on it as the stock pad didn't have much cush to it. The Montana's have a pretty decent pad on them to start with, so you should be good to go.

Default Whimpy little WSM...

The Montanas I shot were very mild on recoil, more like a 243 or a 260 Rem.

Seriously, the stock design is very good and recoil of this ultra light rifle is very mild. The muzzle is a little whippy and it torques some in the hands but shoulder felt recoil is unnoticable. I've shot them in 300, 270 and 325 WSM calibers.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    I just purchased a Kimber Montana in .300 WSM. I'm taking it shooting tonight and I'm already smitten with this gun so it isn't going anywhere but, I'm wondering about the recoil. There seems to be two schools of thought about the recoil on the internet. One group says it's no worse than a .30-06 because of the way the cartridge is designed and efficiently burns powder. The other group says it has a sharper, faster recoil than the .300 Win Mag because is generates velocity so quickly and can be horrible in a light weight gun.

So, anyone shoot the .300 WSM in a light gun and what would you compare the recoil to?
    Ive had 3 WSM's,two 270's & one 300.IMO the recoil was more pleasant in the 300,why well it just gelled for me I guess.
    The 270 was a Model 70 F/W the 300 a Model 70 C/S.The C/S was lighter & sweeter to shoot in every way.
    The T3 270WSM was sharp but that was due to the piss-poor recoil pad it comes with.Other than that the T3 handled well,just needed a Sims to match the qualities of the other two.

The 30-06 is more a push-style recoil IMO compared to all the WSM's.But the 300 is not allot more on the shoulder,just sharper.

Recoil a funny thing you know,say you've been shooting a 340 or 378Wby's for a while.(You will not fire a calibre in factory spec with sharper recoil than a 378Wby/Deluxe IMO).The recoil on MOST other rifles seem to be well SWEET.
    So really it's a mind/shoulder game.Notice it after about 20 off the bench,but never notice it in the field.

The best advice I can give someone investing in a Magnum is to buy ONLY LEUPOLD(Models with a minimum 3.5" of eye relief.My pets being the VX11 2-7x33 & 3-9x40's).Sure others are good,I've had Swarovski,Zeiss etc but now & IMHO LEUPOLD are the best(But different stokes for different blokes) in the business.

Just my 2cents .

I shot it last night. The amount of recoil felt the same as a .30-06 but, it was a little faster than the .30-06. It's was only just barely more noticeable than a .30-06. I've shot 7mm Rem Mag and .300 Wby Mag in much heavier guns and this was no where near them. I would like to shoot a .300 Win Mag to see how it compares to that. I'm pleasantly pleased with how easy it was to shoot. Very accuracte too. I was only doing break-in (cleaning in between each round) and shooting at a 50 yard target but most shots were touching. This rifle is going to be my go to gun for everything in Alaska, including brown bear with 200 grain Barnes TSX.

Default 300wsm

My 6lb A-Bolt kicked like a mule. I would rather shoot my .375H&H. Nice rifle though, should be a good all-around rig.

K9,
    I have same rifle and shoot Federal 180 TSX.....very happy as it is accurate, light and recoil friendly....as an old guy, I appreciate this lightweight, low recoil system....it seems to kill well but TSX do some weird things at times.....

Thanks for the report. By all accounts the Montana is a really well designed stock that soaks up recoil....I may just have to get myself one in 325wsm or 300 wsm.

K9

Good choice in caliber and rifle, I have the same gun and am passionately bonding with it. It should serve you well. Mine shoots Federal 180 TSX's with remarkable accuracy and will be my go to round for everything up here. Enjoy.

Oh and I want to add that I had a Tikka T3 Lite in 300 WM and its recoil was far more noticeable than the 300WSM in the Kimber and their weights are similar. I give some credit to the stock design of teh Kimber for some of it.

AlaskaCub,

The 180 grain Federal TSX's were very accuracte in my gun as well. I tried the 165 grian Federal TSX's and the accuracy was horrible. I really want to shoot the 165's as an all around load and the 200's for the big stuff so I'm going to work up some handloads. If I'm lucky, I'll be headed to the range this week to test them out. I did notice the 165 grain Federals were seated way back from the lands (almost a full expansion ring back) and my handloads are .030 off the lands so hopefully that improves accuracy.

I hear ya on the 165's, I have shot about 6 different flavors of factory 300WSM ammo through mine (I dont reload) and the 180 TSX's shot the best.

I have no reservations against using the 180 for everything in Alaska and actually wanted to shoot 180's, so it worked out perfect for me.

Thumbs up 300 wsm

My Win 70 in 300 wsm with a KDF on it , recoil is like a 308 Win.

Favorite moose load!

168 TSX
    IMR 4831 @ 69.5
    Fed 215GM Primers
    FC Brass
    Alaska

Jeff,

I might give that load a try for my 300 WSM. What velocities are you getting and is that a max load?

Default TSX 165 vs 168

It is worth noting that the ogive (and hence B.C.) is different for the 168 vs. 165 grain bullets. The 168's are based on extensive military shooting data and for me are sig'ly more accurate in my 300 WM than the 165's despite being almost same weight. Sometimes little differences make a big difference.

I figured I'd update this thread with my range experience with 165 grain TSX's.

I used RL-19 and charges in half grain increments from 66.0 to 69.5 with Federal GM215M primers. I saw in older load data for the .300 WSM that 210 was the primer of choice but a lot of more recent data is using the 215.

I sat the bullets .030 off the lands (Barnes recommends between .030 and .070 with .050 as a good starting point). Seating the bullets this close to the lands made the rounds almost .25 inches longer than the factory Federal 165 grain TSX's. I still had magazine room to spare if I wanted to get closer.

None of my loads showed any excess pressure signs in my gun. Most loads were right around an inch with 69.0 grains being most consistent with a three shot group average of .657" at 100 yards. All of my groups were shot just off of a front bag so it wasn't the most ideal conditions but simulated the majority of my hunting shots (prone over a backpack).

I think the difference in accuracy is definitely attributed to the length of the cartridges. The 180 grain TSX's were longer and definitely closer to the lands in the factory Federal ammo. I believe this is why they shot better, just about as good as my handloaded 165 grainers.

I wonder what you were obtaining velocity wise? I have a rifle that only shooots the 165-168 grain bullets and HATES everything else. I prefer a 180 grain for hunting.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I can't say what I got for velocity. I don't have a chronograph yet. I guess I just haven't progressed that far as a handloader, but I'm beginning to feel like I need one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast