Thread: United Waterfowlers/wing collection box's

Default United Waterfowlers/wing collection box's

2nd post, I posted this under projects a couple days ago with no comments, I think since that thread is old, it may be dead and nobody looking. Wanted to try again. My message to Joe is at the bottom, immediately below is his reply. I'd like to ses some comments and hopefully interest in either the wing box's or United Waterfowlers. Bud

Bud – I spoke to our waterfowl managers and they said that while wing boxes can be useful, it wouldn’t provide them much information unless it was part of a wider hunter effort survey. My suggestion is that you contact Mike Petrula (cc’ed with this message) who is in our waterfowl management section and see what projects might help. I’d sure like to see the interest of the waterfowlers put to good use.

Is there any talk about starting a waterfowlers group similar to those in other states? (e.g.: http://www.unitedwaterfowlersfl.org/).

Sent: Sunday, November 20, 2011 10:24 AM
    To: Meehan, Joe (DFG)
    Subject: project ideas

Joe, one idea that seems to have some support would be some wing drop box's, say at cottonwood creek, rabbit slough and the knik access. Would you find this data helpful in the long term planning and use of the hayflats area in regards to hunting. Would F&G have the manpower available to collect and analyize wing sample information collected in this way.

There has been some discussion going on in regards to projects and use of the hayflats by hunters. This is on the Alaska Outdoor Fourm, Waterfowl Hunting section.
    Wasilla

I may be missing something but I think the wing box thing is DOA with F&G

The United Waterfowles of Florida was started to handle the issues facing hunters across the state. Habitat loss, use restrictions of public lands, stagnent wildlife policies, etc. It is a fully functioning nonprofit organization that operates off of dues collection, fund raising, and volunteer hours. They have had a major impact on hunting across the state.

The Nevada Waterfowl Association is another state specific organization that stepped out on their own to deal with things that DU was not helping with.

Cook Inlet has a strong DU fund raising group, but appears to have limited motivation to initiate local habitat work.
    For years now folks on here have asked about starting a local Delta Chapter. How is that going? Its only been about 8 years now, should be a strong group by now. I wonder why they never post up any events or meeting on here?

I really don't think there is enough motivation from the users of Palmer Hay Flats to start, and then follow through with managing the Cook Inlet Waterfowl Association. You can't just stick to Hay Flats, since the lady in Homer will keep up her BOG proposals.

It would be more useful for folks to join the Friends of PHF and get involved with a group that is already active in working on the one specific tiny local refuge.

You may be right Ray, about the PHF. DU is national and not concerned with Alaska unless on a very large scale. Their big thing is nesting habitat, and they talk in terms of thousands of acres. We all benifit from it as far as increased waterfawl production across North America. Don't know if they have ever done any large projects in Alaska, most of their projects have involved northern Canidia I believe. I forgot all about it, but I wanted to go to he friends if PHF get together the other night, but blew by it without a thought, ended up watching old tv. I guess there isn't really enough man power or interest on a year around basis here to get a project going that might make a difference. Bud
    Wasilla

So, about DU in Alaska - all funds raised from RAFFLE ticket sales are required to be used in the state of Alaska. The main project for the last while has been aerial mapping of boreal forests/lakes. It has been determined, this year, that Alaska is much more important to waterfowl than previously thought. As such, Alaska has been bumped up in DU's top priorities. Two places in Alaska are in the top 5 of DU's main concerns, now. I'd imagine you'll see a lot more work in Alaska from DU over the next few years. I've heard rumors of sending a biologist up here full-time to help allocate funding to key areas.

Anyways, I know this stuff because I'm the district chairman in Anchorage for DU. I got involved and learned. It's tough to see what's going on just by looking for DU signs by where you hunt. With the upgraded importance of Alaska on DU's radar, the state needs volunteers, now more than ever, to help with fundraising events. The more money we raise at events, the sooner these projects will break ground and the sooner we'll see the outcome. I know there are anti-DU people out there, and that's fine, now would be the time to help out if you were against DU because you didn't see local results. At the end of the the day, they're a national organization. People are paid salaries to determined where DU should spend hard earned funds to benefit waterfowl across the continent. Alaska is prime on that list now, and the more we have, the more we can do.

If anyone is interested in volunteering, shoot me a PM. We have several events coming up locally over the next few months. Even if you're not in the Anchorage area, if you're interested in volunteering, let me know, I'll put you in touch with the District Chairman in your area. Now is the time to help. Alaska's on the radar folks, let's get the ball rolling for some work around here!!

In minnesota the dnr sends out prepaid manila envelopes to selected hunters. During the season the birds they shoot they take a wing off of them and let them dry out and fill out a small amount of info on it like what it is, where you shot it (mn had me put in the county) and the date you shot it. you fit as many of them wings into the envelopes and send them in at the end of the year and they send you back a certificate of what you shot how old it was and other information. its easy to do and i did that the last two years i was in mn before i moved here.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

"aerial mapping of boreal forests/lakes"

D&D's, would you mine explaining a little of this program, such as areas in the state it is being done, what the info will be used for, how it will benifit hunters in Alaska and also those in the lower 48. I have worked with Marlin on the spring BBQ a couple years, but would perfer to work in the valley if you have a contact there. Bud
    Wasilla

A lot of that information can be found on the state's website - www.ducks.org/Alaska.

Here's a link to the brochure which outlines the projects specifically. http://www.ducks.org/news-media/news...ding-in-Alaska

PM me your contact information (name, phone number, address) and I'll give you a call this afternoon and give you a few guys information...

As for the mapping, it's main use just happened, IMHO. By funding all of the mapping, DU now has real imagery which shows the importance of Alaskan boreal forests to waterfowl. Now they've increased the importance of our area, so projects can start. I'd imagine you'd see more spending in the state due to the upgraded status of our area.

One thing to keep in mind, though - if they have good water in the PPR, less birds will come this far north to nest. Last year there was record water there and we saw less birds here. No matter how many projects are done here, they can always stop short. Don't let that ruin an attitude towards DU. "I spend all my money on DU and I don't see any more birds here!" Just wait for a dry year down south and make sure you have plenty of shells.

Ducks, I don't mean to diminish the importance of DU to continental duck and goose populations, but I don't see the need to spend money on projects such as Anchor River, Fish and Campbell Creek estuaries (although I have seen a few Brant and cranes use the Anchor River estuary on a very limited basis in the spring). For all the impact these projects may have, they are little more than PR (money that is basically wasted to show people that DU actually is doing something in Alaska). The dusky canada project is certainly worthwhile, but if DU really wants to serve an important purpose in Alaska the remaining funds should be spent on Alaska sea ducks that have suffered a precipitous decline. DU's involvement in the Sea Duck JV should have a higher priority than projects in the PPR or Alaska or anywhere else for that matter as some sea duck species are down 80-90% from historical averages. However, I see that there is a problem for DU with this in that advocating for sea ducks is essentially undertaking the role of an environmental organization as development and pollution are some of the principle causes. Advocating for sea ducks means advocating against resource development in many circumstances - something I think DU would be uncomfortable with. In Alaska the same thing is true for puddle and divers though, as our habitat is largely undisturbed, and working for ducks is often going to be advocating against development more so than undertaking specific habitat projects. For example, DU should have been raising holy hell about Teshepuk Lake oil development for years now, given its importance as a molting area for many species including most of the Pacific black brant population IIRC.

Given the culture of most hunters in Alaska and elsewhere as conservative, pro-gun, republican types, this might not go over too well with DU members, especially those whose job depends on oil or other resource development (basically those that can afford to go to the local DU dinners and bid up the auctions). Then throw in the cultural issues in western Alaska - egging and year around hunting - two things that I think a changing culture is mitigating - and you have a volatile political problem as well. It is no wonder DU has stayed away - it is much easier and politically correct to build ponds in Canada.

BTW I am a DU member, my father and grandfather were both members from the 1940s, and made considerable donations over the years. My father and a few friends also chartered a chapter that is still thriving today. DU is a fantastic organization for what it is (making mallards?), but to decide that maybe we might get a biologist now after the Alaska breeding populations of spectacled and stellar's eider have been devastated? You said that "People are paid salaries to determined where DU should spend hard earned funds to benefit waterfowl across the continent." Where have they been - just a little late to the party.

What I would like to know is how a local DU member can influence DU policy in Alaska, not just helps raise money so the hired guns can decide what is done. I think this is the attraction of groups like United Waterfowlers - personal involvement in the issues, not just fundraising.

OK off my soapbox.