Thread: Caribou hunting via river boat?

Default Caribou hunting via river boat?

After a great year hunting the Koyukuk for moose, I am wanting to focus on Caribou for 2012. Last time I really hunted for them was back int he 80's in King Salmon, how times have changed...

Trying to find out if we have any decent hunting via river boat. I have a 24' SeaArk with OB jet. I haven't seen to much though via boat, just wondering, or should I just plan on the unit 13 hunt, Dalton etc? Thanks for any tips.
    Tony

I would say a 24' boat is too big for the rivers off the Dalton north of the Brooks. It could be done, but you would have some issues with maneuvering tight turns. I've run a 20' SeaArk on the Ivishak and it gets real tight. Unless you are experienced at running shallow, narrow rivers, I wouldn't recommend making the trip and beating you and your boat up. The Unit 13 hunt would probably be a better bet, but I'm not familiar with the herds proximity to rivers down there.

Jerod,
    Thanks for your post. That is kinda what I am thinking for many places north. Looks like I may need to dig a little deeper...
    Tony