Thread: Manchu Lake - Ft. Wainwright

Default Manchu Lake - Ft. Wainwright

Any of you military guys or guests fished this lake recently? I wanted to check it out this summer but never got around to it. It's not far from my place on Eielson and I've noticed the stocking report shows 8000-plus rainbows in 2009 and char plants in 2010 and 2011. It's off the beaten path and could be worthy of investigating. Just curious.

I fished it last winter, the water is extremely merky with a lot of vegetation at the bottom. You will find it hard to jig as the vegetation at the bottom was thick (surprising in winter). We caught a couple of cookie cutter rainbows after a few hours of fishing and we tried several depths between 6-10 feet of water. We've never caught anything with decent size from that lake so I've not returned.

Fished it in the summer and caught a few small rainbows. Ice fished it 2 or 3 times, caught lots of lily pads. never had a bite through the ice. i'm sure it winterkills every year--real shallow lake. You should try Lily Pad Lake over behind the ammo dump on Transmitter Rd. It has a good population of pike that feed on dragonfly larvae. They don't get real big, but 24-30 inchers are the norm. Find 8-10' of water and jig a black tube jig. They are in there! Also, try Horsehoe Lake in same vicinity a little further up Transmitter. Pike are bigger, but fewer.

Wildlife Trooper told me the lake was starting to produce some nice fish. Headed out there today. I'll provide an update to this thread for all you military locals.

Spent a good portion of the day there with nothing to show but 1 rainbow. I suspect the cold front had something to do with it.