Thread: Sighting in a .22 for hares

Default Sighting in a .22 for hares

What distance do you sight in your .22 for hares when hunting in the forest? Thanks for your input. This is my first winter hunting small game and it as been…interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by browell7 View Post
    What distance do you sight in your .22 for hares when hunting in the forest? Thanks for your input. This is my first winter hunting small game and it as been…interesting.
    I don't think the actual sight-in distance is as important as knowing your gun and scope, and knowing where your bullet is going to hit at a given distance. I have a fixed 4x on mine and make head shots on hares, squirrels, and grouse anywhere from 15 feet to 60 yards or so. (Grouse not quite that far out).
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Try 75 yds...with HV ammo should be somthing like this- .3" high at 25yd, 1" high at 50yd, 0 at 75yd, 2.5" low at 100yds.

Dead on at 50 yards. From my experience shooting them with my Mossberg target rifle you usually can't see them any farther. Even 1/2" low at 50 would be good. Hares are a blast with a .22 rifle. Look for the black eye standing out. They also seem to use to sit on humps or slight rises for better vision. Head shots work well to save meat.

I used to have a Yellow Lab that would retrieve them if I threw a snowball in the direction of the kill.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

well I don't sight in cause I broke the rear sight off my 22, but I know how to line it up fast and I can hit a shotgun shell with it at 25 yards, I think if it was sighted in it would be dead on at 15, I never see rabbits or grouse farther than 40 or maybe 50, so bullet drop isn't an issue
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Most of my rabbit shooting is done at less than 30 feet. It's hard to spot them too far out because they live in the thick brush. Sight in for dead on at 25 yards and poke 'em in the eye when they peek out at you.

I sight in for 50yds. As you can see everyone does it different but every one at least knows the dead on distance. .22's are a blast. I started using my .17 HMR in case I see a fox but I have killed a lot of bunnys with the trusy 10/22

Thanks for the answers everyone.

Years ago Ranging made a set of low light 8x35 binoculars. They come in pretty handy as they are light, very clear, and assist you in walking a lot less, but you can cover more ground. I know, glassing for bunnies! But hey, our time is precious and being able to see what is out there without having to make unnecessary trudges in the snow for nothing is sure helpful.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I sight-in my .22 rifles at 50 yards. Like others have mentioned, most of the shots for rabbits seem to be well under 50 yards. I have spotted some at that range or a little further and was able to hit them in the head.

Ove here on Kodiak most shots are within about 20', so I am dialed in at about 20'. No high or low, just crosshairs on the grape.